Cardio vs Strength Training

Options
Spoilascanb
Spoilascanb Posts: 40 Member
edited September 2022 in Fitness and Exercise
I’m a 42 year old 5’4 active woman who weigh 200 pounds. My arms are the biggest part of my body. I have arms of a 300 pound person (hereditary). My goal is to lose FAT. Which is better CARDIO or STRENGTH training?

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,128 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    To lose fat: be in a calorie deficit.
    That doesn't require exercise, though obviously exercise is great for health.

Cardio can help you reach a calorie deficit/eat more calories while being in a calorie deficit. Strength training can help you retain muscle while losing weight.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    As mentioned, losing fat is about calorie deficit. Exercise is for health and fitness although adding it helps with calorie deficit. You SHOULD be both for optimal health and to improve your overall physique and muscle conditioning.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce your arms. As you mentioned yourself, it's just something unique to you.

My gut is the first place I gain weight. Second is my face. I mean I looked like a flippin' blowfish when I was my heaviest!

Both cardio and weightlifting are important. Cardio will burn more calories, but weight lifting slowly builds your muscle and slightly improves metabolism (not a whole lot, but some). I would concentrate on both if you can and do what you enjoy. Diet/calories are where you'll get the biggest bang for your buck, so to speak.
  • Spoilascanb
    Spoilascanb Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    @cwolfman13 this has been one of the best insights EVER! Thank you