Egg yolks or no egg yolks?

Options
Hi everyone!
I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what I should be putting in my omelettes. I have seen lots of posts that only use 1 egg yolk and the rest is all whites, is this better for you?

Replies

• AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    It's a personal preference that is completely up to you.
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    only use 1 egg yolk and the rest is all whites
    I do this. The yolk is supposedly the bad part, with all the cholesterol etc. But just whites tastes so plain to me. So I add 1 whole egg with my egg whites usually.
  • liveletl0ve
    Options
    SO much better for you. sometimes i use half of a yolk. but it ISS important to use part of the yolk or even a whole one because although they are very high in cholesterol they also contain some good things that u need in ur diet, plus around half the protein of the egg.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I use the entire egg. I used to believe the yolk was bad for you because it had, get this, cholesterol. However, I have since learned that dietary cholesterol is good for you...really...and there are other good things in the yolk. Since I switched back to eating the entire egg, my weight loss progress has not suffered.
  • Cakepiebeer
    Options
    When im trying to lose weight, its just egg whites. Now that im lifting weights, i eat the yolks for the calories and fat
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    eggs yolks are full of good fats and nutrients. I eat the whole thing. Should I have 1 whole egg or 2 egg whites only? its easier just to eat the 1 whole egg in my opinion... but its totally up to you.
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I do teh same thing.. I use two egg whites and one whole egg for more protein :) I love protein and I eat this every morning!
  • jmeeej
    jmeeej Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    It's a myth that you get high cholesterol from eating egg yolks.

Eat the whole egg, or mix and match whole eggs and some yolks if you're trying to limit your fat for a specific meal. The whole egg contains double the protein that just the white does. Plus the yolk is where all the taste is :)
  • xalligator
    xalligator Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Give me all your yolks and their delicious choline and fat. I'd eat 9 eggs a day but I'm on a budget.
  • 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    when i am cooking just for me, I will do one whole egg. If i am making a larger batch i will mix whole and whites (generally because i will add the calories back with cheese anyway)
    eggs have a ton of great nutrients and I feel like if i am on here i can make it up later in the day
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    If you're using Omega-3 Eggs, all the good stuff is in the yolk. Egg Whites will give you Protein without the CArb and Fat, so if that's your goal then you can make your eggs accordingly.

My personal choice is 2 Omega 3 Whole eggs with 1/4 cup egg whites.
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Whole egg for sure!! Tastes better and full of excellent protein. Unless you already have a problem with cholestrol and high lipids, the whole egg is better (in my opinion) . And it's only 70 calories. I eat two nearly every day and make an egg salad sandwich with one piece of whole grain bread and I tablespoon of low fat Kraft mayo with olive oil. Delicious and filling.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    My personal preference is to use whole eggs, period. The good stuff is in the yolks.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Whole eggs. The yolks have more nutrients than just the whites. Egg yolks have very minimal effect on your blood serum cholesterol.
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Whole egg! Yolk has all the nutritous stuff. I also read an article that the cholesterol in eggs has no effect on your cholesterol... for what that's worth.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Give me all your yolks and their delicious choline and fat. I'd eat 9 eggs a day but I'm on a budget.

If I could do that I would eat eggs every day! I know the yolk is healthy but I don't like the way it tastes. I feel too guilty throwing it away so I don't eat eggs. :(
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    mother nature cries when the yolk is thrown out