breaking the plateau

Options
Hi ... I have just started working out and eating well in the last month. I lost about 8 lbs in the first couple weeks and now I'm just sitting at the same weight. We have started using weights and I can feel my clothes feeling better but I feel disappointed that the scale just isn't showing anything new. Any suggestions of how to break this plateau would be great.

Replies

• debrrt
    debrrt Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi ... I have just started working out and eating well in the last month. I lost about 8 lbs in the first couple weeks and now I'm just sitting at the same weight. We have started using weights and I can feel my clothes feeling better but I feel disappointed that the scale just isn't showing anything new. Any suggestions of how to break this plateau would be great.
  • ericajewel
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat.......so it is quite possible that you have gained muscle and gotten leaner, but havn't lost anymore weight. Thats why your clothes are fitting better!! by the way Congrats on that!!! If you want to avoid a plateau, change up your exercise every 5 or 6 weeks, that should do it.
    If you walk/run.....you can run more/less one day, walk more/less the next or do both and your body won't figure it out! I have a treadmill and I hardly ever walk or run on the same speed:) anyway, I hope this helps:flowerforyou:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    :You only have 11 lbs left so it will take a lot of time and dedication. Rev up the workouts and make sure you're fueling your body appropriately (ie- more than 1200 net cals worth... that's really only appropriate for very overweight individuals).

I have this issue now too, I tend to go 2 or 3 weeks with no change, then bang, the next week I lose 2 or3 lbs all of a sudden. Just keep at it and be patient. :flowerforyou:
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options

Boost your routine cardio cardio ..
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat.......so it is quite possible that you have gained muscle and gotten leaner, but havn't lost anymore weight. Thats why your clothes are fitting better!! by the way Congrats on that!!! If you want to avoid a plateau, change up your exercise every 5 or 6 weeks, that should do it.
    If you walk/run.....you can run more/less one day, walk more/less the next or do both and your body won't figure it out! I have a treadmill and I hardly ever walk or run on the same speed:) anyway, I hope this helps:flowerforyou:

correction muscle doesn't weigh more than fat- they equal the same amount its just fat takes up large spaces-

5lbs is 5lbs-- its a common myth
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    increase your workout sessions push yourself more your body can become bored if your doing the same thing over and over again- Also try not to focus so much on the scale- Try measuring yourself as well its a great way to track If you don't have alot to lose those pounds are the hardest to drop. Don't give up keep pushing and switching your routine.
  • ericajewel
    Options
    thank you:happy: I had no idea....thats just what I always heard.....thanks for clearing that up:flowerforyou:
  • debrrt
    debrrt Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips ....it was encouraging and just what I needed to stay on track!