Question for those doing a LOW GI Diet

Options
I've been trying to do a low glycemic index diet for my PCOS. I was wondering about when I eat fruits....My MFP sugar for the day allows me 28 for sugar....which I can typically do easily especially with exercise. But when I eat fruits to snack on...I am almost always Over on sugar...even on heavy workout days(which allows me more like 45 sugar). Should I change my sugar intake? Is it too low? or is it too high? I feel like I hardly eat any processed sugars....I use splenda if I ever add sugar to anything...which is rare. So the most of my sugar is coming from snacks such as apples...bananas or berries. Any advice or info would greatly help! my food diary is open if you'd like to look at today's...I've planned out my meals for today ahead of time. Thanks!

Replies

• MzFury
    MzFury Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I think fruits should not be a worry for you, though if you're getting into lots and lots, maybe just look at replacing half of it with, say, red bell pepper strips and hummus or something? I'm not a doctor, but I'm thinking that, while overall macronutrients and sugars count, of course, fruits contain too many benefits to start worrying about...

One tip might be to go into your "Goals" and tweak the sugars section slightly, so that you have psychological room on here to eat as much fruit as you're eating without it giving you a red number...? Maybe.
  • Nikkie_too
    Nikkie_too Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I bought the GI diet book a while back for about $11 on Amazon.com - do you have it? Some fruits are better than others.

I think if you're doing that diet and stay away from the high GI fruits and eat the low ones you won't need to be concerned about the MFP sugar number. I'm at the office and my book is at home - but I'll msg you a quick list of red and green light fruits tonight if you need it. :)
  • Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Thanks I'd really appreciate that!:wink:
    I bought the GI diet book a while back for about $11 on Amazon.com - do you have it? Some fruits are better than others.

I think if you're doing that diet and stay away from the high GI fruits and eat the low ones you won't need to be concerned about the MFP sugar number. I'm at the office and my book is at home - but I'll msg you a quick list of red and green light fruits tonight if you need it. :)
  • stephilderton
    stephilderton Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi! My nutritionist was very specific about this. She told me that fruit is nature's candy bar, and that we shouldn't be scared of eating fruit a few times a day. She was very clear that I should consider total carbs rather than just sugar, since carbs become sugar in your body. The trick is keeping your carbs pretty even. 50 total carbs per full meal and 20 per snack are considered very good, especially when you consider that fruits with a higher fiber count than 5 lower your carb count (for instance, if an orange has 25 carbs and 10 fibers, you would take half of the fibers from the carbs resulting in a 20 carb count. Does that make sense?). Also, choosing the lower-GI fruits, as you discussed is also very helpful for this reason.

I hope this helps!