Healthy Stuffed Bell Peppers

Options
So.. thanks to Krys_T, I suddenly have a craving for Stuffed Bell peppers but I really dont want to do it with rice and ground beef.. so I looked up a healthy alternative and found this recipe. Not too sure about the actual caloric content but it seems low cal at first glance. It sure would be delicious though, without the carbs and beef!!

I think I'm gonna try this out this weekend.. and I'm gonna be substituting one or two veges... and adding a couple as well!! I like to experiment with my food!

Ingredients
* 4 large bell peppers
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 1/2 cup mushrooms (chopped)
* 1/2 cup onions (chopped)
* 1/2 cup celery (chopped)
* 1 garlic clove (chopped)
* 1 1/4 lb lean ground turkey meat or boca crumbs
* 1/4 cup egg beaters
* 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
* 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
* 1 can italian style diced tomatoes
* Salt and pepper as desired
* Italian seasoning and parmesan for toppings

Directions
* Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
* On stovetop in a medium skillet or saucepan, sauté mushroom, onion, celery and garlic in olive oil until veggies are soft; remove from heat.
* Meanwhile, in a medium mixing bowl,combine ground turkey, egg, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
* Add sauté veggie mixture to turkey mixture; mix well.
* Stuff peppers with turkey/veggie mix and place in an ungreased shallow casserole dish.
* In a small bowl, combine undrained tomatoes and tomato sauce; pour over peppers to cover.
* Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and Italian seasonings; cover with aluminum foil and bake for 50 minutes.
* Uncover, sprinkle with mozzarella and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and browned.

ENJOY!

Replies

• Krys_T
    Krys_T Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Nice!
  • Sharon009
    Sharon009 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    save thanks ladies!
  • bikerb422
    bikerb422 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Bump, Sounds really good. Will try soon.
  • FAtGiRLFItGiRL
    Options
    bump
  • BrendarB
    BrendarB Posts: 2,770 Member
    Options
    Here's another I've made and was awesome.

Cuban style picadillo stuffed peppers.

1 small onion diced
    2 cloves of garlic diced
    2 dried bay leaves
    1 lb of ground beef
    1/2 a zucchini shredded with a cheese grater
    1 jalapeno diced
    14 oz can of tomato sauce
    1/2 cup of pimiento stuffed green olives, roughly chopped
    1 tablespoon of red wine vinegar
    1 tablespoon of Olive Oil
    Kosher Salt
    Pepper
    4 bell peppers
    Preheat oven to 400
    Heat olive oil in large pan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, jalapeno and bay leaves; saute until onion is soft and translucent, about 5-7 minutes. Add ground beef, shredded zucchini and a pinch of salt and pepper and saute until cooked, breaking up with a fork, about 7 minutes. Add the tomato sauce, green olives, a splash of the olive brine and red wine vinegar, taste and season with salt and pepper as needed and cook for an additional three minutes. Cut the top off of each of the peppers and scrape out ribs and seeds. Place a 1/4 cup of water into the bottom of a glass dish and then fill each pepper with some of the picadillo mixture up to the top of the pepper. Place each pepper into the glass dish and cover with foil, put into the oven for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, remove the foil and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Remove and let cool and then enjoy
  • ontheskinnyroad
    ontheskinnyroad Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    bummping
  • mrsbeck
    mrsbeck Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    No, I am not posting just to have a bookmark for this thread...why would you say that?
  • nicolerah
    nicolerah Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    No, I am not posting just to have a bookmark for this thread...why would you say that?

why would we say what?