Wine and fat calories

Options
I had 2 glasses of wine tonight and it’s showing as 20 grams of fat. Though I realize alcohol can stall weight loss, there is no fat in wine. It makes me wonder what else is inaccurate on here.

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    A lot. The database is largely user entered and very, very often wrong. I double check all my entries before trusting them.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,514 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    I never assume an entry is correct. Always double check.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,147 Member
    Options
    What they said.

Also, why do you think alcohol can stall weight loss? That hasn't been my experience, as long as I don't drink so much that it tanks my energy level (so I been fewer calories), spikes my appetite or compromises my logging accuracy (so I over-eat), or something like that.

It might temporarily increase water retention, but that'll pass, and it's not fat anyway . . . so who cares?

Undernutrition is a risk, too, but that's not really about fat loss either.
  • SbetaK
    SbetaK Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Definitely have to check each one, at least the first time you add it to your personal food lists. I track my sodium. If someone doesn't care about every stat they might not enter it. Or have happy fingers. I had an avocado once that had 2000mg of sodium entered. And a grilled chicken breast that had 25,000 g protein. Have found more. And, pre-packaged foods like frozen meals can change their stats as they upgrade their ingredients, so check those on occasion. Ugh.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, the green check marks in the MFP database are used for both USER-created entries and ADMIN-created entries that MFP pulled from the USDA database. A green check mark for USER-created entries just means enough people have upvoted the entry - it is not necessarily correct.

To find ADMIN entries for whole foods, I get the syntax from the USDA database and paste that into MFP. All ADMIN entries from the USDA will have weights as an option BUT there is a glitch whereby sometimes 1g is the option but the values are actually for 100g. This is pretty easy to spot though, as when added the calories are 100x more than is reasonable.

https://fdc.nal.usda.gov

Use the “SR Legacy” tab - that seems to be what MFP used to pull in entries.

Note: any MFP entry that includes "USDA" was USER entered.

For packaged foods, I verify the label against what I find in MFP. (Alas, you cannot just scan with your phone and assume what you get is correct.)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, the green check marks in the MFP database are used for both USER-created entries and ADMIN-created entries that MFP pulled from the USDA database. A green check mark for USER-created entries just means enough people have upvoted the entry - it is not necessarily correct.

To find ADMIN entries for whole foods, I get the syntax from the USDA database and paste that into MFP. All ADMIN entries from the USDA will have weights as an option BUT there is a glitch whereby sometimes 1g is the option but the values are actually for 100g. This is pretty easy to spot though, as when added the calories are 100x more than is reasonable.

https://fdc.nal.usda.gov

Use the “SR Legacy” tab - that seems to be what MFP used to pull in entries.

Note: any MFP entry that includes "USDA" was USER entered.

For packaged foods, I verify the label against what I find in MFP. (Alas, you cannot just scan with your phone and assume what you get is correct.)

Been reporting this little gem as inaccurate for months now, to no avail... it's so ridiculously, blatantly wrong (the information is for a cereal of some type) and has 0 confirmations so it can't even be user votes:

p0nsyrzvmdv6.png