First holidays on the new path

Options
I lost 30 pounds since my highest weight in January. I stalled out because “life happens” and gained 6 back, then turned it back around to my weight before vacation. I was on the right track but then my birthday and cake and apple cider and candy corn. I am still maintaining but stalled in losing. It was my first bday and now holidays ahead since committing to my health so I’m disappointed but forgiving of myself. I will be on the path for the rest of my life I will never give up. It seems there will be lapses in eating healthy… currently if I don’t have a few caramel apples in the fall life isn’t worth living haha… but that is just “resting” on the path. No matter what… my path is
always ahead and in my sight.
Now this recovering comfort food emotional eater is headed toward the holidays. I didn’t have creamer for around 5 months, then had some sugar free powdered flavored when I really wanted it during summer.

But Pumpkin Spice.
Peppermint Mocha
Pies
Hand dipped pretzels
Christmas cookies

And if the trick or treats aren’t all gone at the end of the night… we’ll it’s all “Tradition” in my life. Traditions I’ve chosen and where I’ve found “celebration” moments for close to 20 years in my life.

I am still accountable, but I am seeing the truth of my eating. I know portion size now, I know alternative snacks.
But TRADITION is going to be a problem/challenging place to make changes.

Do you have any experience overcoming this stumbling block? I do know that most of the answer is to create healthy non-food replacement traditions… but that kind of goes against the comforting qualities of “Tradition”. :) And portion control… yes eat what I desire but in smaller portions. I have been doing that but these particular foods are so high in calories that portion control will still be a challenge.

I’m aware and walking in with eyes open.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options
    Given how you're describing your thoughts, this may not apply for you, but I'm going to throw it out here anyway.

For me, it helped to reorient my thinking to literal holiDAYS, when I'd previously behaved as if there were holiMONTHS or holiSEASONS. In other words, I was able to convince myself that I didn't need to eat every treat on every occasion to full capacity, in order to enjoy and celebrate.

Yes, some of the treats are calorie dense. Some few days, I go well over goal, even over maintenance. If it's truly a few days, it's manageable in the big picture.

Also, I use tactics like calorie banking (eating 100-150ish calories under goal for a few days ahead of a planned event, to indulge more at the event), or adding some fun active things to my schedule in addition to just eating-style traditions. Tromp around at the Christmas tree farm, go to the Christmas parade, walk the Turkey Trot, play in the snow with kids - whatever.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    It's NOT the one day where you blow it.......................it the accumulation of several days of NOT being on plan that does. The problem with the Holiday excuse IMO is that people start on Halloween and CONTINUE till New Year's Day. That's 2 full months of being off plan. So just Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's isn't going to completely bomb one's plan...................it's the continual being off plan from Halloween to New Year's that the issue. I tell my clients all the time to enjoy the DAY and get back on plan the next and STAY on till the next holiday.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • healingmysticmelody
    Options
    @AnnPT77 you are completely understanding what I am saying. I am completely guilty of Holimonths and Holiseaseons. September is my birthday month, apple cider and apples and kettle corn and birthday cake. So the Holiday-Season begins September 1st and ends at my daughter’s birthday mid January. And then a “few” chocolates on Valentine’s Day and lots of hot chocolate to keep the snowy winter blues away until husband’s birthday cake in late April. And Peeps and jelly beans for Easter.
    May is my only non-holi-month. That is the
    gardening/cleaning yard/sprint cleaning month.
    Come June/July/August it is Cook-Out Season!!
    Finally, the holidays are over.
    Oh wait, September is my birthday month…

I ABSOLUTELY need to reorient my thinking. That is going to be challenging and a journey.

I have been doing a form of “calorie banking” since you told me that my calories don’t re-set at midnight. :D lol If I REALLY must have something that will put me over after a big activity day or bad hormones, I look at my last few days for extra calories and if there aren’t a lot, I add the snack to the next day and stay at deficit for that day. I think that will serve me well.
    And yes, I loved going walking through the pumpkins and apples again this year and that gave me such a boost that I was able to keep going and did a week cleaning out and organizing the garage with husband. I have been sore, but 60% is the “workout” sore instead of just crumbling bones sore.

I had a few sessions with another physical therapist and he said the people are too afraid of pain ( meaning me). I AM after years of pain but I am working on not being irrationally afraid. I’ve watched “I Survived” episodes on tv in the last few months and these people get stabbed over a dozen times, throw themselves out windows to escape attackers, get choked, set in fire, and still live.
    I’m beginning to understand how tough and sturdy our bodies can be.

I will make positive changes. Might not be as they should be for a couple years, but will always be an improvement for me. Baby steps!

Thanks for all of the great thoughts
  • healingmysticmelody
    Options
    @ninerbuff You nailed it too. I do NOT want to stay off plan for the entire holiday season because as I said in my post to Ann, that would be pretty much all year for me. Haha
    I will take it one step at a time, ons day at a time, and keep reminding myself of my goal. Now I’ll have yours and Ann’s voices in my head reminding me it is not a Holi-Year (Holi-Life) where eating is concerned.
    I will make sure I am never really “off plan” and pay attention to my weekly totals, monthly totals.

Thanks for the advice!