For those facing financial strain...how do you eat healthy?

Options
Just curious for those who have a very very very tight financial situation (surely I can't be alone) what you do to still eat healthy? I drink water and a glass of tea a day, so obviously I don't spend money on juice, pop, or things of that nature...I make the tea myself.

I am just looking for alternate ways to save money when buying fresh food. For now I have given up on organic. It is almost double and I just can't afford it. I know I know...I have several friends who tell me I am poisoning myself and my children :/

Why is good food so expensive? Why aren't their coupons for fresh fruits and vegetables and organic meat and egss?? It's not like you can extreme coupon yourself in to having unlimited fresh foods....

Anyway, just curious if anyone had any pointers.

Replies

• vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    We grow what we can. We buy what we can from the farmer's market and freeze what we can for the winter.
  • beccala18
    beccala18 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I always buy frozen veggies - usually cheaper than fresh and the taste/nutrition is the same. Also, try going on the company websites and seeing if you can get coupons there or email them and ask for coupons. Buy whole chickens and bake them in the oven, cheaper per pound and you get a ton of meat there.
  • felicityksr
    felicityksr Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I always found it ironic that the sugar is removed from an item and you are charged more for it. ;-)
  • bdurls
    bdurls Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I always check flyers to find the best deals on things I need. And check out the bulk section. Always get quinoa, oatmeal, spices, etc very cheap! And Farmers Markets are good for fruit and veggies! Good luck! I feel your pain!
  • symphonika
    symphonika Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    because our government doesnt endourse it ... it's money goes to the corn growers to produce cheap mass producted processed food. Farmers markets would be the best option though..
  • Erin_26
    Erin_26 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    It's true, there are not many coupons for produce (although there are some), so the best way I've found to save money on produce is to buy it when it's on special and freeze what I can. If broccoli is on special, I will be eating broccoli that week and freezing some. Same with fruit.
  • STARSHINE1975
    Options
    Dry beans and rice are perfect foods for tight budgets. Always buy fruits and veggie that are in season. I try to get creative with new, cheaper, locally grown crops. Frozen fruits and veggies are sometimes better for you than fresh because they are flash frozen at the time they are picked rather than traveling in a truck and sitting in a store until you buy it. Just make sure there is no added salt or sugar.

Good luck!
  • mizpaden74
    mizpaden74 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    it's the wrong time of year - but growing your own you can control the chemicals and 'know where you food is coming from.' Frozen veges are pretty equal nutritionally and usually less expensive, dried beans, long grain rice, the egg, whole turkey, whole chicken,
  • buffalogal1979
    buffalogal1979 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I am interested in the responses here.
    One common sense thing I do is stock up when something is on sale that I can freeze. For example, our local store will sometimes sell the store brand of 12 grain bread 3/$5 which isn't too bad around here. Boneless skinless chicken breast for $1.88/lb - I buy as many as they let me and freeze it.
    Can't wait to read what others do. I have a family of 5 to feed!
    J
  • feedusfetus
    Options
    If you live in a decently populated area (my town is about 40,000), go the the food bank NOW! In my town, the farmer's market donates there every Sunday. We have a Trader Joes, food co-op, and many local farmers that donate so that people can have free access to good proudce. Half of the time, it's organic, too! I emphasize "now" because this is the time of year when the produce is best. Just last week I was able to grab as many carrots, cucumbers, onions, potatoes, greens, apples, and squash as I wanted. The winter might not be so great, but that's when it's time to research what's in season. That's how I get the best deals.

If your town has a food co-op, they usually have a low-income bracket and they don't ask for proof of income. I get a 10% discount at mine.

Shop in the bulk section whenever you can.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Watch what's on sale; when seasonal fruits & veggies drop in price, when meats (including fish & poultry) go on sale, when staples go on sale. Then stock up on those items that can be frozen, canned, or pre-cooked and frozen or canned.

If you have a few extra square feet ANYwhere, a small chest freezer is your friend. We got our 7 cu. ft. freezer on Craigslist for $50. It's now on our back porch, but was originally in the dining room when we had a 1 bd apartment for 2 adults and a baby. Being able to buy when it's on sale (vs. when we have room) has saved us a ton of money over the last couple of years.
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I always found it ironic that the sugar is removed from an item and you are charged more for it. ;-)
    And opposite with milk! If you want the fat IN you pay more? wtf?
  • kngarber
    Options
    I buy a lot of frozen veggies as well. I just thought the nutritional value was less though. I never thought to buy a whole chicken...that would last for quite a while! Thanks.
    I always buy frozen veggies - usually cheaper than fresh and the taste/nutrition is the same. Also, try going on the company websites and seeing if you can get coupons there or email them and ask for coupons. Buy whole chickens and bake them in the oven, cheaper per pound and you get a ton of meat there.
  • shesblossoming
    Options
    Farmers market and bulk foods sections are your best friends. I agree with purchasing frozen vegetables. They definitely work if you are under financial strain. I am currently trying to only spend $150.00 a month on groceries just for myself, and it gets very difficult. Another thing you can do is make staple dishes in your house. If you have recipes you can make on the cheap, you can have them once a week and vary them based on what you have in the house.

But I cannot stress the bulk foods section enough! It has saved me so many times when I had no money to shop. I always keep lentils, quinoa, and rice on hand whenever I really need it.
  • inspiration345
    inspiration345 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Frozen vegetables are cheaper than fresh vegetables and precut and cleaned so easy to work with. Oatmeal for cereal is good. Meat from the butcher is cheaper and healthier than supermarkets. Never buy juices. I have never been a fan of fruits. They give me sugar spike and bloat me. Oh and one multivitamin a day. Done.
  • heybrit
    heybrit Posts: 140
    Options
    Not sure how bad your strain is but perhaps you should check into seeing if there is a local food bank you could go to supplement your food stock. Even if they don't give out fresh produce (which they do around where I live, though it is not always the best quality), you may be able to save money in the areas of the things they give you so that you can spend the money saved on healthy food to go with the things they give you.
  • landay
    landay Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    We are also unable to go organic, but my husband and I have both lost a ton of weight on a VERY limited budget.
    - I agree with the frozen vegetable statement. We eat almost all of our vegetables this way.
    - fresh fruit - we almost always buy what's in season / on sale
    - canned fruit when times are really lean
    - canned tuna for lean protein, and it's very inexpensive (especially at Aldi)
    - at least one omelet night a week, since eggs are so inexpensive
    - at least one bean night a week, again, because they're so inexpensive (we'll also 1/2 the ground beef amount and add beans to some recipes. It's healthier, tastes just as good, and is less expensive)
    - always eat our leftovers
    - ALDI, if you have one, is a great place to buy inexpensive foods, including fresh fruits and vegetables.

Good luck!!! It can be done, and fun to see how much $$ you can save in the process :-)
  • amberwebb79
    amberwebb79 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I grow a pretty decent sized garden and can or freeze what I can each year. Started out with just a little, and now each year I've got a whole pantry and freezer full. Corn, beans, potatoes, sweet potatoes, tomato sauce, salsa, peppers.

Also, working in the garden during the summer is great exercise. I can't imagine how much I've saved, but not everyone has room for a garden.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Just curious for those who have a very very very tight financial situation (surely I can't be alone) what you do to still eat healthy? I drink water and a glass of tea a day, so obviously I don't spend money on juice, pop, or things of that nature...I make the tea myself.

I am just looking for alternate ways to save money when buying fresh food. For now I have given up on organic. It is almost double and I just can't afford it. I know I know...I have several friends who tell me I am poisoning myself and my children :/

Why is good food so expensive? Why aren't their coupons for fresh fruits and vegetables and organic meat and egss?? It's not like you can extreme coupon yourself in to having unlimited fresh foods....

Anyway, just curious if anyone had any pointers.
    Try buying local or at "road side" tent stalls. I know that may not be available to everyone, but you can save money. And if it's really tough, go frozen on vegetables. It may contain more sodium, but that can be countered.
  • aliciarenee79
    aliciarenee79 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Dry beans and rice, whole chickens, potatoes, onions, frozen veggies, oatmeal. We don't buy bagged salad anymore instead buy the lettuce and other stuff seperately and make it yourself. We usually have canned diced tomatoes to add to all kinds of stuff.

We have cut our grocery bill in half. We don't buy any frozen meals or anything like that anymore. The only drawback is the extra time for cooking, but I am really getting into that part.

Also a crock pot is awesome. You can put any kind of cheap meat in there with veggies and stock and it turns out awesome.