Sweetners

Options
I am sure we all know sweetners are a controversial topic. I found this this morning and found it pretty interesting.

http://health.yahoo.net/rodale/RH/the-4-best-and-3-worst-sweeteners-to-have-in-your-kitchen

Replies

• Raine7
    Options
    I just read this article and forwarded it to a few friends. I actually quit eating and drinking anything with aspartame and splenda in it over a month or so ago. I would rather not have it at all. We are better off eating in moderation and drinking water than using those chemicals. I have used Truvia some recently and it is not bad.
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I read the article this morning. I use Truvia (stevia) for the most part. I usually use Splenda and similar type sweeteners if I go out. I'll probably start bringing my own sweeteners to restaurants now. :)
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Good article. I use Stevia and honey and occasionally (rarely) Splenda. Hadn't heard about the Splenda staying in the water though. That's not good!

The sugar alcohols turn up in the sugar free candy I sometimes buy - good to hear that their' on the 'good' side of the fence. Quit the aspartame game years ago - that stuff is scary! Don't like the taste of molasses much. It's interesting that they didn't even include sugar.
  • amyllu
    amyllu Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the article you refer to but personally I wouldn't touch anything with any sort of sweetners in it.

As for Aspartame.. when it first came onto the market there was a documentary on TV showing that the trial were completely falsified as the rats that were being tested would continually die but they would just replace them and carry on as if it was the same animal.
    At the time I was quite convinced that it would be taken off the shelves immediately but not at all!
    As long as these firms continue to pull in the money that's all they are interested in.
  • whatwentwrong
    Options
    stevia and sugar alcohols (erythritol's my favorite because of the extremely low carb content) are the only non-sugar sweeteners i like- both splenda and aspartame have a really awful taste to me (agave, while not artificial, tastes bad to me too D:) i'm glad that everything i like is on the good list :D