What would YOU do? šŸ§

Options
What do you do on a day when you go OVER your calories and you still have dinner to eat?

-Skip dinner?
-Exercise more?
-Eat a REALLY light dinner?
-Eat less calories the rest of the week to compensate?

Iā€™m thinking I just go on as normalā€¦

-Log the day!
-Eat a healthy dinner!
-Continue the next day!

ā€¦but curious what is the best action!

Basically I eat great all the time, exercise and live a healthy, positive life, but some days (like today) I thoroughly enjoy a meal at a restaurant with my hubby and that meal is sometimes calorie dense and in the past I wouldā€™ve NOT logged, said F it to the rest of the day, ate a TON of food that day and felt guilty the rest of the week, delete this app and go into a several month long binge/depth of despair!

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,282 Member
    Options
    I think you mentioned the right approach. Well, 'right' sounds like there is no other way, but it's definitely what I do:
    - log it
    - eat a light to moderate dinner
    - tomorrow is another day

I might exercise if I have the time, but only if it fits in my schedule, I won't force exercise if the timing is wrong.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    If I tried to skip dinner, it would bite me in the butt the next day because I'd be ravenous. I'd eat my normal dinner and just move on.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,737 Member
    Options
    I think the most-right approach will be individual and situational. Your suggestion sounds reasonable.

With weight management goals, having and meeting eating goals is very important . . . but stress, anxiety, or obsession over them can be counterproductive, perhaps psychologically risky.

One isolated day is a drop in the ocean. What matters is the typical day, and the average over many days.

IMO, intentional, unpleasant "make up for it afterwards" strategies aren't helpful. For me, they can backfire.

If I know I have an over-goal possibility coming up - a special event or restaurant meal - I might bank a few calories in the days beforehand (eat a little under calorie goal) so I can indulge at the event but average out where I want to be, and/or eat lighter earlier in the day of the event.

In an unplanned scenario like you describe, I'd log it, then eat a lighter dinner if not hungry, or a typical meal if hungry; then resume normal routine the next day.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,734 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    I would have things like greens, vegetables, plant protein shake, tofu, veggie stew, etc. If I did have time for extra exercise I would but not if it's something Iam not feeling like doing, or go for a long walk. Then the next day be on my regimine or balance calories from day before as long as it's not starving me.
    I eat pretty much all wholefoods and am plant based so it helps me feel better overall if I eat more than I planned. I did this last night. Went to dinner and even though I planned ahead I had more but it was a concious decision. It was a wonderful vegan restaurant.i worked out last night and had a great workout. I rarely do this so it was enjoyable and today is new day
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    Have dinner, unless I'm full from what I've already eaten. Accept that my deficit for the week will be smaller (unlikely I would eat enough in one day -- 3500 calories over maintenance -- to completely erase my planned deficit).
  • katrose1985
    katrose1985 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I think more people need to hear all of this. I love this approach and it feels right and sustainable.
  • serpentegena
    serpentegena Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My personal approach is also along the lines of "move on". I might eat a smaller dinner, or plant-based like others have proposed. Oftentimes, I'll find an excuse to go for a walk. A good, hour-long walk can make room for a few extra calories (200-300, depending on speed and exertion) in your daily budget. Plus, you get all the health benefits of an hour-long walk!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Chalk it up to an over day. One day of inconsistency won't derail you. Back on plan next day.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    Eat dinner, log it. ONE day of going over your calorie goal isn't going to stall your weight loss --- your goal is already set to a deficit, so even going over it might not be over your TDEE anyway.

Also --- Not eating the rest of the day, or eating less the rest of the week, or exercising more --- are all ways that feel like 'punishment' for eating too much to me and that's not an association with food or activity that I want to engage in.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,515 Member
    Options
    Move on. It just happens. I had a much 'heavier' dinner than I'd planned tonight. And that was before I realized it really needs parmigiano on top :D Really, one day isn't really much long-term. Depending, you might be a bit heavier on the scale tomorrow. Possibly due to water weight if your meal was richer in carbs or contained more salt than usual. Or, if it was a massive portion simply by having more waste in your intestines. But hey, it's not body fat. It's also important to realize that we all have such days every now and then.
  • GloriaBJN
    GloriaBJN Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I plan my entire food intake and calorie count for the day, the day prior, and switch out calories if I deviate from the original food. I try to eat more filler foods later on (cabbage leaf, carrot, cucumber) if my calories get out of balance early in the day, but I do try to stick to the calorie limits. I've missed lunch so I could enjoy cake at a morning gathering, and count the cake as my lunch, and then shift the rest of my calories throughout the day. It's a lot of work, but losing weight takes work. I also try to factor in calories not eaten the day before if I'm overly hungry. I don't think I'd ever try to deny myself my allocated calories the next day unless I simply wasn't hungry due to overeating the day before. But it happens - that I eat way less the next day because I'm full from a heavy meal the day before. To be hungry the next day and deny myself my base calories would be defeatist for me. I'm in agreement with the others, that you simply move on. Tomorrow's a new day.
  • IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Well, I go on and I absolutely eat a normal dinner because I need fuel to run this body.

But, the main thing I do is see what happened and how I can prevent it in the future. Some food combinations raise a ravenous hunger in me but Iā€™m aware of it because I log honestly and try to reevaluate any times I struggle.

Everyone has off days. Just keep going.
  • azuki84
    azuki84 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    some people overthink way too much for trivial things
  • sugarfreesquirrel
    sugarfreesquirrel Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I went over my food by 2000 or 3000 calories yesterday. What I did was track everything I could remember, then today I took 700 calories off how much I could eat today, drank 2 glasses of water every hour, went for a big walk, then went for a small walk every hour. I'm having a roast at my sisters tonight so I'm going to skip the potatoes and yorkshire puddings, maybe eat off a smaller plate and walk there and back. And tomorrow, I'll go back to normal.
  • sugarfreesquirrel
    sugarfreesquirrel Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Reviewing your food diary is also healthy, to see where you could tweak things. I had 25g of butter with my spinach the other day, so I posted about it on the boards, and people recommended cooking it in some water and adding 5g of butter instead. Very helpful!
  • GlennMcMillan
    GlennMcMillan Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Move on. Lesson learned. Besides it is a journey of life. Just understand where you are and keep moving forward. It my new adopted philosophy.
  • cjbrown12323
    cjbrown12323 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I would probably exercise more. That way I would feel more accomplished in my day having exercised more and was within my calorie goal because I exercised more. Haha