new here . any tips for great things on this app

Options
Good morning . I am a very overweight 52 year old menopausal woman.
If anyone has any tips at all to get me started and keep me going . especially with this technology . . be appreciated. (don’t even know what a bbc code is )

Replies

• Janeyhoo
    Janeyhoo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Garffy, I’ve just been here a week but loving the app so far. Not an expert by any means, but I’ve found it helpful just to take it one step at a time. Day one I tracked my water and a few rough guesses of my meals. Day two I started tracking all my food and water. Then I started saving recipes to try, now I’m checking out the community. I guess everything new takes some getting used to! All the best with your goals :)
  • Jacki916W
    Jacki916W Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hi! I’m 52 and have a good amount of weight to lose. I’m not menopausal, but probably only because I had a hysterectomy. I’ve been on MFP for about 2 months now and know the app pretty well. Plus I have a great bunch of friends here, all of which have taken me under their wings. So, if I don’t know how to do something, I know where to go to get the answer. I’m offering that to you. I’m always up for new friends who I can support and who will support me. Right now one thing that jumps out at me to give you a tip on. Change your profile picture to something like your pet, a flower, or anything that is “gender neutral”. I found out the hard way if you actually have a picture of yourself, you will be the prey of the people on here who are out to pick up on the vulnerable, or basically ANY female. Before I changed my pic to my dog, I received 5 or 6 people who sent me a friend request. When I accepted, they immediately sent me a message “chatting” me up. And all my friends know about the latest pick up scam: a military guy, who is stationed overseas, who is s widower, and who has 2 younger children at home in the states. He starts off innocently enough then wants to know what kind of car you drive and it keeps getting more and more personal. Now that I’ve changed my profile pic, I have not received ONE of those creepy requests. I’m also now very picky on who I accept as a friend. If their profile is locked – nope. If I have not seen them posting on the boards - nope. If they have MANY friends, all of who are female – nope. Anyway this turned into a long post. But I did want to give you what I consider to be a useful tip, if you are serious about your health and weight loss journey and don’t view MFP as a nightclub or other pick-up joint. I’ve sent you a friend request and welcome you to MFP. The very best thing about this app is the support of everyone on the boards. It’s mind blowing!
  • lindaharvey0308
    lindaharvey0308 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the profile pointer.
  • Jacki916W
    Options
    My pleasure! If I can save one person from having to deal with that, then I’m happy!
  • JDavidPugh
    JDavidPugh Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I just harass everyone equally! B)
  • Jacki916W
    Options
    JDavidPugh wrote: »
    I just harass everyone equally! B)
    Quit that!! You’re going to scare them off!! LOL
    😜
  • NinzyStarDust
    NinzyStarDust Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the profile tip Jacki916w, I’m new. I was going to put my photo up and then changed mine to my dog. 😁👍 What on earth is a BBCode?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Thank you for the profile tip Jacki916w, I’m new. I was going to put my photo up and then changed mine to my dog. 😁👍 What on earth is a BBCode?

Bulletin Board Code. It's a simple set of markup codes for things like bold, italics, underline, different sizes and colors of texts, and inserting images and hypertext links. Most of those have buttons just above the box where you write your posts, so you can just use the buttons instead of typing the code yourself.

To see them in action, click on the quote button below someone's post, like mine, for instance. Now look at the quoted text in the box where you're supposed to type. It will begin with an opening square bracket, the word quote, an equal sign and, in quote marks, the name of the person you're quoting, followed by a closing square bracket. At the end of the quoted text, you'll see an opening square bracket, followed by a slash, the word quote, and a closing square bracket. That's an example of BBCode. It can also be used for things like bolding and italicizing.

You don't need to use it. It can be helpful to understand it if you're quoting a post where the nesting (of quotes) is fouled up, or if you see after you post that the nesting is fouled up on your post. They generally (I think always, but I'm fudging in case I'm wrong) come in pairs, with the command in brackets to say you want to start something (like quoting or bolding text) and then a set of brackets with a slash (/) followed by the command to say you want to stop doing something (like quoting or bolding text.

Edited to add a couple examples of the code in my post.

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    More generally, I'd say jump in. Use the guided set-up to get a calorie goal, get a kitchen scale if you don't have one (I recommend one with a tare button and a weight capacity of at least five or six pounds, maybe more, depending on whether you cook things like pots of stew and soup and how much your pans weigh), be patient, be prepared to revise your calorie goals after you have a couple of months of data, and don't let an occasional over-goal day send you in a spiral of despair. Just pick yourself up and start again.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    My tip - just start. Commit to logging all your food/drinks. Don't even worry about the calorie target for the first week. Just log your current eating habits to see where you are. Then look back of the week and see where you can make small, sustainable changes that move you toward your goal.

This is my favorite get-started thread...

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • NinzyStarDust
    NinzyStarDust Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much lynn_glenmont!