Cardio after every meal?

christinaarcand
christinaarcand Posts: 8 Member
edited December 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
Has anyone tried doing 20 to 30 minutes of cardio after every meal? Like not right after, but maybe and hour or hour and a half after?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    Why not do it all at once?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Has anyone tried doing 20 to 30 minutes of cardio after every meal? Like not right after, but maybe and hour or hour and a half after?

For what purpose?
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Why?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Ummm no. Have to ask why as well?
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,143 Member
    I wouldn't have time to do that throughout the day. Why not just once a day?
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,508 Member
    musicfan68 wrote: »
    I wouldn't have time to do that throughout the day. Why not just once a day?

pretty much this.

it would be great to have the luxury of time, for training at any time of day, right?
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Another pointless doctor oz based question
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Surely doing it before would be better for fat burning? ;)
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    I did 10 min moderate intensity cardio after meals when I had gestational diabetes. It helped control my blood sugar.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    i used to break my cardio up during the day, 10 minutes here and there, and it worked just fine for a my daily cardio requirement. I didn't necessarily time it for after i ate meals, i did it when i had the time. And i've read lots of studies that breaking up your cardio into shorter times is just as good doing it all at once.

i can't stand doing a half hour cardio at one time, so my reason for not doing it all at once was because i hate it. I am fine with 10 minute spurts here and there but anything more than that i get so bored and hate hate hate it, and the majority of the time i don't have 30 minutes of time to do it all at once.
  • CassieBanks757
    CassieBanks757 Posts: 7 Member
    edited December 2017
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    I try to exercise (lifting, hiking and/or cardio) b4 eating (or at least an hr or 2 after I've eaten).

Theory being that what I eat will go towards replenishment of the nutients and calories expended during the exercise routine.

Don't know if it actually makes a difference or not but it is easier for me to eat afterward regardless, because doing so on a full stomach makes me feel weak & sluggish.

The Kilted Coaches (my FAVORITE coaches) just put out a video on Christmas Day saying that doing cardio first is the way to go. They give the specific reasons for doing so at the beginning of the video. I'd link it here, but I'm not sure what the protocol is for such things on the message boards. You can watch the video on YouTube. Just search for "The Kilted Coaches Xmas Workout."
  • crystaltribo
    crystaltribo Posts: 1 Member
    Yes! I started jumping in my stationary bike for 20 minutes after each meal and it’s really helped. When I had gestational diabetes I was told to do this as well.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,336 Member
    I'm on my lunch break at work sitting here on my phone. But, I would probably have been better off to take a short walk and let myself feel full. Cardio after every meal, why not...but, I don't usually do it.
  • pamperedlinny
    pamperedlinny Posts: 1,642 Member
    Sort of. If you're diabetic this is extremely good for your blood sugar control. Studies have found that three ten minute walks after each meal result in better glucose control than one thirty minute walk, for example.

I check my glucose about an hour after meals, which is usually slightly after it peaks, and if it's elevated I do cardio to bring it down quickly. It doesn't take more than fifteen minutes of intense exercise to drop it from dangerously high to normal levels. Working out after meals isn't comfortable for your digestive system at first but you do get used to it, and if you're on medication such as metformin which inhibits the release of glycogen, it also takes advantage of the sugars in your blood to power your workout. Even light exercise such as walking after a meal improves insulin resistance. Checking my meter and exercising to lower my blood sugar has allowed me to get off medication and lower my A1c to normal levels.

If you have a normal healthy pancreas I don't recommend it - jumping up right after meals to exercise isn't fun!

This! I tend to walk in the morning, walk again after lunch and a few times a week go to the gym early evening. Being diabetic it absolutely keeps my sugars more level when I exercise about an hour after I eat anything that might spike my levels. If I've gotten 15 to 30 minutes of movement in my 2 hour number seems fully normal almost every time.