calories in "junk food"

Options
I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question, but I am actually curious...

If I were to eat 1200 calories of whole, healthy foods in a day, or to eat 1200 calories of candy, fries, fast food, donuts, etc..BUT kept within the 1200 calorie goal, would I still lose weight? I have no intention of doing this, just wondering if all calories are created equal?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question, but I am actually curious...

If I were to eat 1200 calories of whole, healthy foods in a day, or to eat 1200 calories of candy, fries, fast food, donuts, etc..BUT kept within the 1200 calorie goal, would I still lose weight? I have no intention of doing this, just wondering if all calories are created equal?
    Yep. This was proven by a nutrition professor you ate in calorie deficit. He ate Twinkies and some other junk for 30 days. Google it.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    To a certain point you might, but you would look much better after eating the healthy foods. You need the nutritional value from food too, not just the calories.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Yes. This has been proven many times. In fact, I recently read about a guy who only ate twinkies for a diet (for a small period, maybe a month) but enough to fulfill a calorie deficient. He lost a bunch of weight. I think he ate a multivitamin and some other things to prevent from being malnutritioned but you get the idea.

Found it: http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

Calories are calories when it comes to weight loss/gain.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    You would lose weight, but you would also be very unhealthy and feel starving all the time.
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    You would probably lose more muscle and proportionately less fat on the junk food diet though.
  • Michelle_M2002
    Michelle_M2002 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    All calories are NOT created equal.

If you only ate junk food, you would cause (or worsen) hormonal imbalances. So while initially you would still loose weight, it would eventually stop working as your body became bogged down with the junk food overload.

In addition, the excessive sodium in junk food would cause you to retain water, as well as causing your organs to swell. Sugar has the same effect.

Your body needs whole, healthy foods to function properly and to stay in balance and function properly.

God bless!
  • chauncyrenayCHANGED
    Options
    Yes, but you'll look super flabby and gross.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    You would probably lose more muscle and proportionately less fat on the junk food diet though.

if you kept an adequate protein intake, it would limit muscle loss, even eating junk food
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Yes, but you'll look super flabby and gross.

this
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

If you only ate junk food, you would cause (or worsen) hormonal imbalances. So while initially you would still loose weight, it would eventually stop working as your body became bogged down with the junk food overload.

In addition, the excessive sodium in junk food would cause you to retain water, as well as causing your organs to swell. Sugar has the same effect.

Your body needs whole, healthy foods to function properly and to stay in balance and function properly.

God bless!

you are partially correct there are some differences in TEF of the different macros, but if you assume identical macros, one made up of all "clean" foods and the other "junk" food it wouldn't make a huge difference in terms of body composition
  • lauram_23
    lauram_23 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't eat ALL healthy foods. I just try to eat healthier than previously. Realistically if I ate only healthy foods everyday I would not last. I don't feel it's necessary to deprive myself of things I love, I just eat less of them!
  • Q9S7
    Q9S7 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Ugh...can we start citing studies? I've been watching the forums (not just this one). Too many claims are being made...based on..? Are most of us PhD bearing nutritionists/exercise physiologists? I think not. If your goal is to lose weight and be healthy, my advice would be to stick to the basics (exercise, calories in/calories out, healthy foods, healthy lifestyle choices).
  • babs23
    Options
    While all calories (as a unit of energy) are created equal, the nutritional value of a calorie can differ for obvious reasons.

Denying your body of proper nutrition can have serious negative effects over time.
  • AI1108
    AI1108 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    essentially yes but remember every body's different. my body is not the same as your body as your siblings body as your friends body.

your weight loss journey is 80% diet, 10% exercise and 10% genetics. some people are highly affected by the amount of sodium they take in while some people can get away with mcd's for bfast, lunch & dinner. some people look at sugar and gain a lb while others could consume and entire cake and you would not know the next day.. ok not really but you get my point. i'd be very careful about this. some people can handle it and some people can't.. the same way some people can eat their exercise cals and some cant.. and some can work out for an hr a day and look amazing while others need an extra hour in there somewhere. not only that but as someone earlier said .. I can imagine you would be starving all the time from 1200 empty calories. I agree you could cut on an all junk food diet and have essentially the same result with the right macros but it'd be very difficult.

I recently met an older lady who told me that as she got older she could tell the difference between her friends that were still taking care of themselves and were eating right and the ones who had let themselves go. for most people what they say about all those added nutrients from good foods really does affect you when you get older.
  • ABetterBalance
    Options
    You would lose weight, but you would also be very unhealthy and feel starving all the time.

^^ This.

A calorie is a calorie, so in theory that plan works. However, there is a huge difference between eating 1200 calories of junk and 1200 calories of real food. I know there are days when I eat out and have a lot of fast, convenient junk- and then I am starving all day and worn out by about 4. When I plan my meals and eat right, I am usually full and have a lot more energy.
  • rachelw16
    Options
    You would lose weight, but you wouldn't be healthy. Plus you get to eat more when you eat healthy ;)
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I am so glad you asked this question. I learned so much from all the posts. Thank you everyone. I will now be more cautious of what I consume. I want to be healthy and look good so I'll make sure I eat less junk food calories. However it's nice to know I can add a candy bar or bran muffin in my diet from time to time and still lose weight as long as I stay within my limits. Thanks again everyone!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • maura5880
    maura5880 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options

God bless!
    All calories are created equal. A calorie is a unit of measurement. 1 calorie is the unit of energy it takes to raise 1 gram of water 1 degree C. Whether it's from a carb, protein, or fat it doesn't matter since the measurement is the same.
    The EFFECT of the macronutrient you intake is different on how your body processes it.