Newly pregnant. How many calories?

Options
hi! I just found out I am pregnant (only a month along) I've been eating 1210 calories a day and working out everyday alternating weights and cardio. I am about 3 lbs away from a healthy bmi. I try to eat 40/30/30 and get lots of protein. Anyone have any idea how many calories I need to increase in order to have a healthy first trimester?

Replies

• stefraab
    stefraab Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    found this with a google search: http://www.mamashealth.com/pregnancy/pregcalories.asp
    **note: not sure how true it is**

Eating the right number of calories lets you and your baby gain the proper amount of weight. During the first 3 months of your pregnancy, you do not need to change the number of calories you are eating.

Normal-weight women need an extra 300 calories each day during the last 6 months of pregnancy. This totals about 1,900 to 2,500 calories a day.
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    not 1210... ask your doctor please! :D
  • aejbx4x7s
    Options
    I would first recommend speaking with your doctor. I have heard that you increase your calories by 100 each trimester. So, during the first trimester you should eat 100 more calories (1310, in your case), during the second you should eat 200 more (1410), and for the third you should eat 300 more (1510).

And congratulations!
  • CollegeGirl19
    Options
    found this with a google search: http://www.mamashealth.com/pregnancy/pregcalories.asp

Eating the right number of calories lets you and your baby gain the proper amount of weight. During the first 3 months of your pregnancy, you do not need to change the number of calories you are eating.

Normal-weight women need an extra 300 calories each day during the last 6 months of pregnancy. This totals about 1,900 to 2,500 calories a day.

That's exactly what I've ever heard. An extra 300 cals should do you right. :) And CONGRATS!
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    as far as i know, the first trimester you don't have to increase your calories because the baby doesn't require it at this point. He/she gets everything they need from you, it's during the 2nd and 3rd tri you need to up your calories. 2nd tri an extra 200 and 3rd tri 300.
  • marandas
    Options
    By the book just 300 extra a day, weight loss is contraindicated in pregnancy just lots of healthy snacks every couple hours =)
    I'm in nursing school and just finished up OB (and in the middle of clinical rotation and LOVE all the babies! )

congratulations!!!
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    the site i use to calculate my zig-zag calories has a preganacy one on it: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/pregnancy_calorie_calculator.htm

but you SHOULD consult your dr!

congrats
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I would suggest just eating maintenance or a slight deficit (0.5 lb loss/week goal) if you have a lot to lose. You don't need any extra calories until the second trimester.

congrats.
  • polkadotty88
    polkadotty88 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    You need to be eating a lot more than you do now, you are feeding for 2! Meaning your baby is going to take most of your nutrients! Eat plenty of red meat and greens to keep your iron up and try and eat aleast 2000 calories. Your BMI is going to change now until you give birth, please do not whatever you do diet whilst you are pregnant. Your baby's health is much more important, diet when you have given birth! GOOD LUCK XXX
  • JuniperT
    JuniperT Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I am so glad I came across this topic as I am 12 weeks pregnant and had heard 300 as well. I am a bit heavier and have lost some weight still but my doctor didn't seem that concerned as it's just from eating right (finally :laugh: ) Because of my history of staying pregnant, as soon as I knew I was, I stopped all working out just to be on the safe side. So my question is, if your a heavier girl like me...is it still 300?
  • scv4414
    scv4414 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I definitely don't want to "diet" while pregnant. I'm pretty healthy...all my numbers are good and I'm fit, so I'm just going to up my calories so I'm not eating for a 2lb a week weight loss anymore. If I change it to 1/2 a lb a week, it gives me 1710 calories to work with. I think that seems pretty reasonable, even with my workouts. I will ask my DR when I go in.
  • a1schwei
    a1schwei Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    bump
  • r_drie
    Options
    If you type pregnancy into the food data base it adds an extra 300 calories to your daily intake.
  • imara77
    imara77 Posts: 1
    Options
    Common sense. .. if you are already eating for two, then it makes no sense see to increase your calorie intake. I do agree you should consult your doctor. Congrats!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    **note: not sure how true it is**

that makes sense and is on par with what I've heard.

as well as consulting your physician.
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    In addition to consulting your doctor, I would also like to recommend www.babycenter.com. They also have a variety of message boards and groups you can join to meet other woman that are due around the same time as you.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    In addition to consulting your doctor, I would also like to recommend www.babycenter.com. They also have a variety of message boards and groups you can join to meet other woman that are due around the same time as you.

But be prepared if you join any mommy forums (not just babycenter)... it can get awfully catty in there, what with hormonal and overly emotional women in there.... with that said, I have met some of my best friends there...

Anyway, I also concur with the first reply and to talk to your physician about it.
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    You need to be eating a lot more than you do now, you are feeding for 2! Meaning your baby is going to take most of your nutrients! Eat plenty of red meat and greens to keep your iron up and try and eat aleast 2000 calories. Your BMI is going to change now until you give birth, please do not whatever you do diet whilst you are pregnant. Your baby's health is much more important, diet when you have given birth! GOOD LUCK XXX

This is not accurate..you are NOT "eating for 2" while you are growing another life there is no need to up all the way to 2000. It depends on your starting weight and nutritional needs. Consult your doctor and call your local health department if you have one. They often have free nutrition classes for new mothers or newly pregnant mothers. Congratulations!!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    I think you're supposed to eat normally for the first 2 trimesters (at maintenance) and then a bit more in the third - what my sister said her doc told her. But I'd highly recommend talking to your doctor.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Common sense. .. if you are already eating for two, then it makes no sense see to increase your calorie intake. I do agree you should consult your doctor. Congrats!

I don't think OP is newly pregnant anymore. The thread was posted in September of 2011.

I would first recommend speaking with your doctor. I have heard that you increase your calories by 100 each trimester. So, during the first trimester you should eat 100 more calories (1310, in your case), during the second you should eat 200 more (1410), and for the third you should eat 300 more (1510).

I know the thread is old but this is incorrect. 1210 is at a deficit. Unless recommended otherwise by a doctor, you would eat at maintainance and add calories from there as the pregnancy progresses.