what did I do to my calf?

Options
So I was stretching my calf by putting my foot up against the wall and pushing my body forward, and I felt a pop in the center of my calf muscle. Now it is sore. What does that mean??? I can still walk, it just hurts a bit...

Replies

• swissdutchess
    Options
    So I was stretching my calf by putting my foot up against the wall and pushing my body forward, and I felt a pop in the center of my calf muscle. Now it is sore. What does that mean??? I can still walk, it just hurts a bit...
  • bathedinshadow
    bathedinshadow Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Ouch. I pulled something in my arm/shoulder a few weeks ago and it still hurts. Definitely looking at a long heal time. I hope yours heals sooner!
  • gggivens
    gggivens Posts: 46
    Options
    You tore part of your calf muscle. Lucky it was in the middle of the muscle and not at the tendon insertion site. The muscle will take a couple of weeks minimum to heal. While it is healing, I recommend not doing hard stretches, but continue to try walk normally. Ice the area for the next couple of days to keep swelling down. After about 48 hours, you can switch to heat to increase the circulation and help speed healing. In either case (ice or heat) only put it on for 20 minutes at a time, then off for at least 40 minutes.

If the area swells significantly, or if you notice numbness in your heel or other parts of your foot, contact your doctor immediately. (Sometimes a muscle will swell inside the area and puts pressure on things that cannot tolerate the pressure, and permanent damage can result.)
  • NathanEHarvey
    Options
    you must've been scratching the hell out of your calf :indifferent:
  • swissdutchess
    Options
    hey, thanks so much. i'll do all that for sure. that really helps. :) i have an icy hot patch on it now, and had ice on it last night.
  • TrailRunner
    TrailRunner Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I did this once. When I walked it would move and hurt so I wrapped it up in an Ace bandage which helped keep it still till it healed.