homemade "refried" beans-family recipe

Options
stefchica
stefchica Posts: 257 Member
Ok, so everyone like refried beans from mexican restaurants?? OF COURSE!!! I dont like to really eat them personally from restaurants because they are either LOADED with fat or they are canned and they serve them as "fresh".

Well here is a SIMPLE SIMPLE recipe you can do at home, even in the crockpot as the slower they are cooked the better they taste!!

Makes about 7-8 servings, depending on the amount

2 cups peruvian beans(canary beans-creamier texture) or pinto beans
4-5 cups water
2 tsp salt or really until the water is salty enough
1 garlic clove
1 tsp bacon fat (i always keep some for a little flavor in dishes)
1 oz cheese (optional)

Pick the rocks out of the beans and rinse them under water. Get a crock pot or medium to small sauce pan and add in all the ingredients and stir around. Taste the water for saltiness and adjust accordingly. If its in the crockpot set on low and it will be ready by the time you get home from work! If its in a sauce pan, set it on REALLY low and cover up and let it cook until the beans are soft which will usually take about 2-3 hours. Remember the slower and lower, THE BETTER THEY TASTE!! once your beans are all done cooking, get a masher and smach em up!! If its too watery you can boil them until some of the water evaporates but once beans are mashed, add in the cheese to melt and thats it!! If your using peruvian beans its so creamy the cheese isnt needed, its just for more flavor.

i calculated this in and for 8 servings it was under 90 calories!! The bacon fat was only like 78 calories or something like it but its packed with flavor and with a poached egg or on toast with an egg?? Its sooo good.

ENJOY!

Replies

• rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    AWESOME!
  • SlenderNow
    Options
    Thanks, must try these! Can you get Peruvian beans at a normal grocery store in the U.S.?
  • MMillo
    MMillo Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Just the way I make them, and much better then the canned kind!
  • stefchica
    Options
    Thanks, must try these! Can you get Peruvian beans at a normal grocery store in the U.S.?

OH YEA i moved from california (there they're called peruvian beans) to virginia and i found em here. I had to look online as ot what they're called out here and they're sold in small bags named "canary beans" they have suuuuccch a creamy texture, i prefer them to pinto beans really. sometimes i'll use it instead of mayo..haha omg..i love beans. i'm a frijolera!
  • shander7
    shander7 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Awesome! bump :)
  • stefchica
    Options

oh and if your in the aisle with the beans they're never canned from what i've seen, but they're a yellowish color

http://www.latinmerchant.com/images/product/1Drybeans (8).jpg

thats what they usually look like
  • kitkatkait
    kitkatkait Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    bump!
    These sound awesome :D
  • rsuhayda
    Options
    And where would I get bacon fat if I don't fry bacon?
  • horaks
    horaks Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!
  • stefchica
    Options
    And where would I get bacon fat if I don't fry bacon?

not sure you can get it anywhere but if you have like a ham hock you can throw that in there.....or you can even leave it out. it just gives it that extra depth of flavor. if you cook sausage you can save some of the fat from that, chill it and then use a tsp of that.

everytime i fry bacon i just have a little dish for it i use only for beans but i've also used a small ham hock.
  • SuperKatie
    SuperKatie Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    You should try using cranberry beans if you can find them. They are amazing.
  • sdgirl22
    sdgirl22 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    nomnomnomnomnom... thanks for posting!!
  • lovetoride00
    Options
    gonna fix these today..thanks so much
    blessings
  • GypsySoul_74
    GypsySoul_74 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    i made these tonight... skipped the bacon fat (because i didn't have any on hand) and drained them before i pureed them in the food processor with 1/2 cup skim milk and 1 TBSP olive oil, plus just enough water to make them the right consistency (about 1/4 cup). (i had to puree the recipe in halves because the food processor wasn't big enough, but the quantities i listed were total for the whole recipe.) my family said they were the best refried beans they've ever had!!! thank you SO much for this recipe!!

PS--getting the water salty enough and using a couple large fresh cloves of garlic seems to make them especially good