Tired of starting over!

Options
Hi guys! So, I’m a 37 year old SAHM and the wife to an amazingly supportive man that I don’t know what I’d ever do without. I’ve battled with weight for a good majority of my life. I’ve lost all the weight, made it to my goal again and again but always fell back into bad habits and gained the pounds back on. Now that I’m Mom to a beautiful and very (VERY) active 2 year old little girl my priorities have changed tremendously. I wanna be around for a long time, I wanna see my daughter grow and thrive as well as her own kids some day. And y’all, I’m SO tired of being tired all of the time.

I’ve put myself in a calorie deficit and am allowing myself 1,800 a day. I’m pretty active throughout the day doing the mama thing + I’ve been walking at a 10% incline after dinner every evening for about 25-30 minutes. I’ve been back at it for a week now and so far I’m happy with how I’m feeling.

So far, this is what I’ve been trying to stick to …

Drinking half my weight in water daily (110 oz).

Try to get in At LEAST 80 grams of protein every day.

1,800 calorie limit
OR
Burn 1,000 over whatever I take in that day. Sometimes I find 1,800 is too much, sometimes too little. I just want to make sure that I’m putting in the work if I choose to indulge.

Use my Fitbit Versa to help keep track of activity and hold myself accountable.

DON’T OBSESS OVER THE SCALE.

Any loss is an amazing loss. Don’t beat yourself up. It’ll pay off with consistency.

So that’s pretty much it!

I’m really excited to be here and am glad I have a spot to hang out with others that are on similar journeys!

Replies

• LiveOnceBeHappy
    LiveOnceBeHappy Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I honestly love your enthusiasm. However, that sounds like a lot of rules to me. 1000 calorie deficit is a huge daily deficit. Is this the pattern that has gotten you into the lose/gain cycle? I would suggest a 500 daily calorie deficit instead is more sustainable. You don't *have* to drink that much water, and you don't *have* to eat that much protein. If you're in a 500 calorie per day deficit, you'll lose. The treadmill time is great if it helps you to stay on track, but make sure you are using a conservative number for the calorie estimate to eat. I try to avoid a lot of rules to life as I will some day say "screw it, I want what I want" and then I blow it all. 500 calorie deficit!
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,893 Member
    Options
    I think the most important thing here is to accept you will have to monitor your eating habits for the rest of your life. Some days will be better than others but aim for making portion control a habit rather than a temporary punishment. Eat what you like but not more than within your daily calorie needs. You may have to change your food shopping, cooking and learn to automatically ask for to-go boxes at restaurants. You’ll have to weigh and measure food to learn what a real serving size is. Read the labels too.

It doesn’t have to be awful - just mindfulness. It’s an education in taking control of your health. If you think of successful weight loss having an end date when you reach goal, the weight always returns.
  • jtophinke
    jtophinke Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hi guys! So, I’m a 37 year old SAHM and the wife to an amazingly supportive man that I don’t know what I’d ever do without. I’ve battled with weight for a good majority of my life. I’ve lost all the weight, made it to my goal again and again but always fell back into bad habits and gained the pounds back on. Now that I’m Mom to a beautiful and very (VERY) active 2 year old little girl my priorities have changed tremendously. I wanna be around for a long time, I wanna see my daughter grow and thrive as well as her own kids some day. And y’all, I’m SO tired of being tired all of the time.

I’ve put myself in a calorie deficit and am allowing myself 1,800 a day. I’m pretty active throughout the day doing the mama thing + I’ve been walking at a 10% incline after dinner every evening for about 25-30 minutes. I’ve been back at it for a week now and so far I’m happy with how I’m feeling.

So far, this is what I’ve been trying to stick to …

Drinking half my weight in water daily (110 oz).

Try to get in At LEAST 80 grams of protein every day.

1,800 calorie limit
    OR
    Burn 1,000 over whatever I take in that day. Sometimes I find 1,800 is too much, sometimes too little. I just want to make sure that I’m putting in the work if I choose to indulge.

Use my Fitbit Versa to help keep track of activity and hold myself accountable.

DON’T OBSESS OVER THE SCALE.

Any loss is an amazing loss. Don’t beat yourself up. It’ll pay off with consistency.

So that’s pretty much it!

I’m really excited to be here and am glad I have a spot to hang out with others that are on similar journeys!

I would probably just focus on an allotted time of exercise and not so much calories burned. I focus on a 30min morning workouts and 30+ minutes walking afternoon/evening. I have a 1800cal diet plan that basically says eat this much fruits, veg, dairy etc a day and you have your calories. I'd be glad to share it with you, my health coach gave it to me.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,476 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Agreeing with @jtophinke, the calculators and gadgets have limits. We really don’t know how many calories we are burning unless hooked up in a lab. The calculators are based on statistics and averages but no one is exactly average. Calculators provide starting points, but we all have our own bodies that react to things in unique ways. Plus, there are always going to be calorie counting gray areas.

Why am I going on about this? Because if you read this board much you’ll see lots of people go to pieces when the numbers put out by the calculators don’t line up with reality. Weight loss takes 2 things- eating in a deficit and living with it. Folks tend to go all in on the deficit try to beat themselves into living with it. Don’t do that.

And forgive my nitpicking here. I think you’re on the right track, any loss needs to be recognized as weight loss success. Don’t agree that any loss is amazing. That’s an exaggeration. But failure to count that .2 lb loss for the week as a step in the right direction is a big problem for a lot of people.
    We need to beware of our own brains. Personally I think our brains hate weight loss. Our brains will turn any mistake in total failure if we let them. Our brains will even take that .2 lb loss and make it seem like a 5 lb gain.

Last thing- I’ve maintained my 100 lb loss since 2006. Not a typo. I lost my last 35 lbs on Weight Watchers. WW is really just calorie counting dressed up for copyright protection. Not promoting their program. But going to the meetings I saw the nonstop stream of people coming back having regained everything they lost. Frequently everything plus more. I vowed not to get into that group.

This gets to the importance of having a routine we can actually live with. Don’t make changes to move the scale short term. I didn’t regain in part because I kept everything I was doing in place for 5 years. I eventually quit keeping a food diary for long periods. But if I start gaining, I start logging. And my food scale (I’ve gone through several) is always out on the kitchen counter and gets used every day. If you don’t want to regain not much will change at goal weight. Good luck.