Food is stalking me at work!

Options
It must be somebody elses birthday today becuase there is cake staring at me making fun of me and calling me names. When people bring food to work how can you not eat it? There are people in my dept who dont partake and they are in incredible shape. But they don't suffer with will power like I do. The hardest thing I deal with is the frustration that I go through for not undulging. Its great to say no but I put myself through hell and get all grumpy for the rest of the day. Suggestions? :grumble:

Replies

• kimmie
    kimmie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    my work too. always food. i was speaking with someone yesterday about it - picture yourself just walking past it. that helped me this morning. and / or if you must....i was also told from someone else the 3 bite rule - have 3 bites and throw the rest away!
    good luck - let me know
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Benefits of eating cake: Momentary yumminess.
    Benefits of NOT eating cake: feeling of pride for making a healthy choice, knowing in the long run it's something you don't NEED (but once in a while it's okay), no guilty feelings for having indulged, no feeling like you have to work out extra hard to make up for eating cake, inching that much closer to a healthier you, no sugar rush/fall once you've eaten it.

For me, it totally depends on the day - and the cake. Chocolate with chocolate frosting? Outta my way or get jabbed with a fork. Funfetti with vanilla frosting? Meh. I can truly take it or leave it.
  • htown1224
    Options
    Thanks Kimmie!
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Pop some gum. Cake and gum don't mix and it gets you past the moment.
  • shaj316
    shaj316 Posts: 161
    Options
    HA! great post. There's a bag of bagels sitting on the breakroom table...When I walk by the cream cheese keeps calling my name. I will say, since I got religious about noting every calorie consumed right when I eat it (thanks MFP app), I have been far less tempted.
  • Maria_Goose
    Options
    Pop some gum. Cake and gum don't mix and it gets you past the moment.

I second this.
  • htown1224
    Options
    I really like this one "no feeling like you have to work out extra hard to make up for eating cake, inching that much closer to a healthier you," Thanks for supporting me. It helps!!:smile:
  • birdshoup
    birdshoup Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I was having this problem yesterday with the candy in the vending machines. I got some good advice on here. Bring snacks to work that are good for you, and when you get the temptation to eat the not-so-good for you things, break out a rice krispy treat or something. You'll get your sweet fix without feeling guilty or undoing all of your hard work.
  • WordToYourMamma
    Options
    I think the ones who do pass it up do suffer, I know I do. I have even had to hid cake and punch because of it being forced on me until I could throw it away. Not one bite! If you can't have even one it's easier to deal with. That's how I do it. I don't give even a little on that. I have my own snacks that I treat myself with if I earn it. And I am in great shape : )
  • MaudeBeige
    Options
    After following the advice that I heard smokers followed when quitting I went out and told everyone at work that I was on a diet. After a few weeks and having noticed my body shape change people asked more about the diet I was following.

A few of the ladies at work have decided to join me on my MFP journey...

Now I know that they will see my diary, even if they don't watch me stuff my face!!!

So far so good, it's working for me!

(Thanks ladies!)
  • Staceyblewin
    Staceyblewin Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I avoided the donuts this morning by trying to make sure everyone else got one until there were none left.

We had an italian potluck this afternoon though which I did partake. I took small portions and more salad then anything else.
  • htown1224
    Options
    Good idea! Thanks!
  • htown1224
    Options
    I avoided the donuts this morning by trying to make sure everyone else got one until there were none left.

We had an italian potluck this afternoon though which I did partake. I took small portions and more salad then anything else.

Great advice!! Good job to you as well!