Gym Tracking

Options
Does anyone use a program or app for tracking gym weights? I know I can track in MFP but it doesn't show achievements ie last month I could lift X and now I can lift Y - YAY lol.

I'd like something that shows my history so I can celebrate getting stronger.

Replies

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    There are popular apps you can google for. I've never used them. I just use my own Google Sheets sheet. Each row is an exercise and set number for that day. For ease of reading I alternate the background color of the rows for each exercise, so X rows of exercise A, Y rows of exercise B, and so on. Columns to the right are historical. I set the background color of entries where I've gone up in weight or reps to green, or to red if I've done less than last time. Before the next workout I insert two columns for the upcoming weight and rep counts.
  • Daddy78230
    Daddy78230 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    If you have an iPhone, there’s an app called Gym Log+

I know there’s not an android version.

Nonetheless, great app with lots of bells and whistles. It’s not intended for beginner lifters. Its not filled with a bunch of videos of how to do lifts. Nor are there routines to follow. It’s your own routines.
  • lornamarie57
    lornamarie57 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I decided to just write in a notebook. I like the idea of an app better but not in the mood to hunt one down and then inevitably it is a 2 week trial till they ask for $$ or something similar
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I use the Fitbod app which gives me my program and tells me what to do on any given day as well as the weight to be lifted. I can adjust that manually, but I tend to let the app do it's thing unless something is way to effortless and it will incrementally increase my weights for particular lifts as I go. It doesn't keep a history, but I just write that down in a notebook.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,299 Member
    Options
    I do use a spiral notebook, but FWIW, Fitnotes was suggested to me by one of the old hands here who is much more lifting-oriented than I am. It's Android-only, though.

There's a free version (no ads), and a wholly separate Supporter purchase thing (currently $5.99). The free app doesn't mention "in app purchases" in its description, and it sounds like it's oriented to be voluntary-support freeware, but I haven't used it enough to know for sure that there are no surprises. High ratings, though.
  • jwardtabitha1
    jwardtabitha1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I use FitNotes. The basic one is free and you can customize your workouts, keep track, copy to other days etc. It will even track 1RM and such.
  • Daddy78230
    Daddy78230 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I use FitNotes. The basic one is free and you can customize your workouts, keep track, copy to other days etc. It will even track 1RM and such.

I recommend this to my son, whom I’m helping with starting a training program. I downloaded myself to give it a try - customize his routine. I like it so far.

Thanks for the recommendation

• EliseTK1
    EliseTK1 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I started using the Strong app a few months ago and love it. I use the free version, but you can get more features with the paid version.
  • lcamp867
    lcamp867 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use the strong app and love it. You choose your exercises and log your sets, reps and weight with it. It also has a timer that will ding to let you know when your set rest time intervals is up. It’s a great app!
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    Another vote here for good old-fashioned spiral notebook & ink in the gym. I've actually got my programming in a spreadsheet that I can pull up on my phone in Google Sheets, and I'll write down the movement/sets/loads/etc in advance, but then actually write down reps & any notes as I go along during the session. I just prefer it that way, and also opening up Sheets between every set to note reps etc is ehhhh kinda annoying (and then I'm looking at my phone and OH I just got a notification, better go look at that, OH just got an email I've been waiting for, lemme take care of that right quick....). I limit my phone use in the gym to Spotify & videoing a couple sets here & there for form check etc.