Can I be a pro treadmill runner...

Options
Cuz i seriously hate being on concrete and don't wanna deal with weather issues. lol. I just feel that "real" runners are always outside tho! What do you runners do when it's winter time?

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Still run because its still 50 degrees in the winter.

Once you run outside, running on the treadmill gets boring
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options

SO true!
  • emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    Options
    A friend of mine did 9 miles the other day when it was raining. She is training for a 50 mile race and likes to keep on schedule.
  • cartern1
    cartern1 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    you can be anything you want to be
  • travelgirl96
    Options
    As long as your running - indoors or out. you're still a runner. crank it out!:flowerforyou:
  • KEN1013
    KEN1013 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    i want to be a pro treadmill runners.....
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I wear long pants (and long underwear depending on how cold) and a sweatshirt for my run.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options

I've run in pouring rain. I've run on snowy/icy roads. I've run in the wind and all combinations of these conditions. I can't say anymore that I NEVER run on a treadmill, but I sure do prefer outside.
  • kknudson
    kknudson Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Outdoors on decent days, indoor tracks/treadmill when it's unsafe.
  • kknudson
    kknudson Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Outdoors on decent days, indoor tracks/treadmill when it's unsafe.
  • ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Totally!

Can it be counted as completing a marathon if I do it on my elliptical instead of running?
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I used to think just like you. I didn't run outside. I could never run without my headphones & music. I was obsessed with the tredmill because it gave me data immedaitly and it was same conditions every time I ran. No hills, etc.

However, I began running outside slowly this summer (yes in the HOT summer), and I kinda fell in love with it. It was hard making the trasition, and it took about 4 months to full transistion, but now I am outside running every day no matter what the weather looks like. (also with no headphones)

Recently, I went to the gym with a friend, and I ran on the tredmill for old time's sake, but I was so bored, and I just wanted to hop off and run outside. The beauty I see in outside running is the fact that nature is around. You can pick WHERE you want to run. You can vary your speed to comfortability without worrying about the numbers on the tredmill, etc.

I have not had the chance to run outside in the winter yet, but I plan on running outside this winter (through the whole winter). I live in Wisconsin, and it gets EXTREMELY cold here. Winters are usually 4 months of blizzards. It gets below zero all the time. But i'm still gonna do it. =]
    If i ran in 100 degree weather, I think I can handle 0 degree weather =] !
    but just wear warmer clothes lol.
  • FloridasFinest
    Options
    I'm a treadmill runner!!! :happy: I have asthma so if I'm running outside I have a harder time breathing....(I live in hot, humid Florida.) Don't feel bad about being a treadmill runner. All that matters is that you are running and keeping yourself healthy!
  • 1CALIJIBARO2
    Options
    I don't know of being a PRO as per say......But u can be a real good runner........ GREAT Cardiology there......plus if ur treadmill has various programs u can start at the beginner level & work up.......I started @ level 1 & now currently on Level 3 (mine is 1-10) & i do not get bored...I have the T.V. in front ..............ENJOY & HAPPY CARDIO..........
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    I do a LOT of my running on the treadmill but I do like being outside to run. In the winter, I will be outside as much as I can though because I will most likely be training for something (as I am now) and running solely on the treadmill won't prep me as much for whatever race I am training for.

It does not make you less of a runner if you do all your running indoors on a treadmill though!
  • joakool
    joakool Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing. I live in the midwest and just started c25k last week. I can honestly say I am not looking forward to running when it's 20 below or there is several feet of snow piled on the sides of the streets (we have no sidewalks). Is it even healthy to be out running when the temperature/ windchill is below 0?
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I try and run outside as much as possible, but sometimes in the winter if it's too cold, or icy I'll do the treadmill.

What I do like the treadmill for though is for speedwork and hills(incline). Where I live, it's flat as a pancake but some of the races I do out of town have hills so I use the treadmill for that.

I'll be buying one for home in a couple months and it also has a decline feature which is helpful also to train those downhill muscles. ProForm PRO 2000 or NordicTrak Commercial 1500 is the one I'm looking at getting ($1200+ shipping). Same machine (made by same company) with different labels. It also has iFit feature where you can layout a course on Google Maps and bring it in the treadmill via an SD card. The incline will adjust automatically based on the course you plotted. Perfect to train for a race. :)
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    I used to think just like you. I didn't run outside. I could never run without my headphones & music. I was obsessed with the tredmill because it gave me data immedaitly and it was same conditions every time I ran. No hills, etc.

However, I began running outside slowly this summer (yes in the HOT summer), and I kinda fell in love with it. It was hard making the trasition, and it took about 4 months to full transistion, but now I am outside running every day no matter what the weather looks like. (also with no headphones)

Recently, I went to the gym with a friend, and I ran on the tredmill for old time's sake, but I was so bored, and I just wanted to hop off and run outside. The beauty I see in outside running is the fact that nature is around. You can pick WHERE you want to run. You can vary your speed to comfortability without worrying about the numbers on the tredmill, etc.

I have not had the chance to run outside in the winter yet, but I plan on running outside this winter (through the whole winter). I live in Wisconsin, and it gets EXTREMELY cold here. Winters are usually 4 months of blizzards. It gets below zero all the time. But i'm still gonna do it. =]
    If i ran in 100 degree weather, I think I can handle 0 degree weather =] !
    but just wear warmer clothes lol.

this is pretty much me, except wit living in wisconson. winter in new york aren't awesome, but they are by no means what they are in WI.

i love to meditate while running, or just cancel out the world. love running outside and enjoying everything. and asphalt gives a little better then concrete. get good sneakers, and ice down your knees after a run if necessary. i definetly do. matter of fact, i'm gonna go to a pharmacy and get that seran wrap they used to use on me after a rough work out in college. and if you are a little scared about traffic, get a reflective vest
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Man, there is nothing I hate more than being a hamster on a wheel. I walk in there to get my 10 minute warm up and it kills me to see people going at it for 30 minutes to an hour. give me the road!