Breathing for sprinting

Options
Hi I'm currently looking for breathing exercises I just got the opportunity to play football but when I sprint or run for more then 10 min I feel it in my chest how can I get past this I don't have any conditions I'm 47 are there any football player oe runners on here that had the same problem and got over it?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    Short bursts in a cadence breathing works for me. I run intervals and when I run sprints, that's how I breathe.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I suspect it's more of getting used to the demands of playing the sport more than improving your breathing. Best training is more play time. When your chest hurts, cycle out for a while.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    @riches41 : I was thinking about this post as I've returned to doing some runs on the treadmill as it gets colder and darker here. The treadmill is boring, so I like to do a section of intervals (2min on/off). Now, I'm an oldie, and I haven't been doing this lately, although I've been having fun biking, swimming, hiking, and jogging outside. So, I've been active, but not doing running intervals, which are always hard.

I was reminded how important regulating your breathing is during an interval. I wont call mine a "sprint," as it's slow compared with better athletes. My body feels a little bit of panic as I go into the anaerobic zone and my HR goes toward the max.

So, maybe there are breathing exercises that would help. It's off-topic, but I know people who swear by the book Breath: The New Science of a Lost Art (James Nestor).
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    When I first started playing in an old-timers league the thought of playing the full 90 minutes seemed like a pipe dream. (I started a little older than you)

The solution was gradually building up steady state runs for endurance and fartleks/hills/intervals for speed.

Get out and run 3 or 4 times a week, at first almost all of your running should be at a conversational pace. Consistency is the key.

• riches41
    riches41 Posts: 127 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Thanks guys I went out yesterday to kind of Guage where I am with my 40 yard dash times I ran a 7.4 7.14 and a 6.5 so not too bad but that was all I had no more juice meaning no more stamina so I will try everyone's suggestions. I'm not too sore feel it in my hamstrings and a little in my core but to be expected.