Any type 2 diabetics out there?

Options
Hello, am looking for some help and support from fellow diabetics who I can add as friends. I was diagnosed around 6 months ago and am currently using diet and exercise alone to manage this. Would be nice to be able to find out how others manage. Have lost over 30lbs and plan to continue to lose another 10lbs if possible but happy to do this slowly, am also a vegetarian/vegan so sometimes think I am guilty of not eating enough protein. Anyone out there want to share their experiences ?

Replies

• auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I was 26 when i was diagnosed. I couldn't stand up so I went to the doctor. My sugar count was 512 and my glucose count was over 14. (these are very very bad... the nurse said I should have been in a coma)

I'm 34 now. I limit my sugar, and I run a lot and play soccer. I'm not on any meds and my sugar is about normal.

Good luck on your journey.
  • texastango
    Options
    I'll try and get back to you on this. As I'm sure you are aware, make sure your Endocrinologist is closely monitoring your Diabetes while you loose weight. You might need adjustment in your medication or no medication at all if you are lucky. As I understand it, Type 2 Diabetes is a result of a reduction in insulin levels and insulin levels continue to decline over time (age). Weight loss will help control the need for exogensous (outside) insulin, but ultimately, even if you weighted one pound, and lived long enough ??, you'd still require insulin use (at least the way I understand it). So diet control is also very helpful. Adding fiber helps "counter" the carbohydrate count but ultimately, if you find a nutritionist on here that deals with Diabetes, that is where your best advice should come from.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Type 2 can also be from your insulin just not working anymore (insulin-resistant). In my case, my body was producing insulin, but was not using it, so sugar was overloading my body.
  • mo1700
    mo1700 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Yes I too am insulin resistant with no medications.

Auticus you have done amazingly well, I have been advised to eat a normal, healthy low gi diet so I mainly get my sugars from fruit and veg......how do you limit your sugar?