Options
2»

Replies

• COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    DFW_Tom wrote: »
    @kshama2001 - completely agree with your comments on AllRecipes.com. As I have no kitchen skills, it is a great resource for me. Thinking about picking up an Air Fryer after looking at some of their recipes for that appliance.

I recommend seeing if your library has America's Test Kitchen's Air Fryer book. Here it is on Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/Air-Fryer-Perfection-Perfect-Vegetables/dp/1945256753/

I don't have the book myself, but others from them, and before I invest in an air fryer I'd check it out.

Yeah, air fryers, I'm a bit surprised at all the promotion and people using them lately. Personally I don't get it, but if it encourages people to cook, then that's a good thing.

Air fryers are lifechanging. You can cook literally everything in them and as long as your foil game is on point....rarely have to do dishes. Mine does everything from toast for breakfast to steak for dinner and nary a pan is dirtied. I doubt I'd bother to cook at all if I didn't have one.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    COGypsy wrote: »
    @kshama2001 - completely agree with your comments on AllRecipes.com. As I have no kitchen skills, it is a great resource for me. Thinking about picking up an Air Fryer after looking at some of their recipes for that appliance.

I recommend seeing if your library has America's Test Kitchen's Air Fryer book. Here it is on Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/Air-Fryer-Perfection-Perfect-Vegetables/dp/1945256753/

I don't have the book myself, but others from them, and before I invest in an air fryer I'd check it out.

Yeah, air fryers, I'm a bit surprised at all the promotion and people using them lately. Personally I don't get it, but if it encourages people to cook, then that's a good thing.

Air fryers are lifechanging. You can cook literally everything in them and as long as your foil game is on point....rarely have to do dishes. Mine does everything from toast for breakfast to steak for dinner and nary a pan is dirtied. I doubt I'd bother to cook at all if I didn't have one.

We use to call them toaster ovens.
  • COGypsy
    Options

I used a toaster oven for a lot of my own food way back when I was married and cooking for one. My air fryer is the toaster oven type, but I feel like it gets hotter faster, even without convection. I would never have attempted meat in my toaster oven, but it’s no problem in the air fryer. No idea how “modern” toaster ovens compare, but the air fryer is orders of magnitude better than the classic toaster oven.

• neanderthin
    Options

I used a toaster oven for a lot of my own food way back when I was married and cooking for one. My air fryer is the toaster oven type, but I feel like it gets hotter faster, even without convection. I would never have attempted meat in my toaster oven, but it’s no problem in the air fryer. No idea how “modern” toaster ovens compare, but the air fryer is orders of magnitude better than the classic toaster oven.

I'm sure your right and if people cook more that's a big plus. Of course, toaster ovens range from very inexpensive into the thousands of dollars and they do cook meat very efficiently but at a cost and I suspect the bang for the buck, is in the air fryer plus they can disappear into a cupboard when not using.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,515 Member
    Options
    No, I don't get airfryers either. But then I cook lots of food involving frying aromatics like onion, garlic and chili first, then adding spices at a lower temperature, then adding other stuff at higher temperature, then even more stuff, then other spices, etc and 20 minutes later my dinner is done. I don't see how an airfryer would help me there.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    No, I don't get airfryers either. But then I cook lots of food involving frying aromatics like onion, garlic and chili first, then adding spices at a lower temperature, then adding other stuff at higher temperature, then even more stuff, then other spices, etc and 20 minutes later my dinner is done. I don't see how an airfryer would help me there.

Ah, yes, your describing cooking. Cheers. If I want something deep fried, I will deep fry. When I actually use an oven it's mostly for braises or baking and quite a bit of my oven use is at lower temps and the times I've needed a little oven with a fan is 0. But again, if it's displacing the consumption of ultra processed food in someone's diet, I'm all for it.
  • yirara
    Options

Ah, yes, your describing cooking. Cheers. If I want something deep fried, I will deep fry. When I actually use an oven it's mostly for braises or baking and quite a bit of my oven use is at lower temps and the times I've needed a little oven with a fan is 0. But again, if it's displacing the consumption of ultra processed food in someone's diet, I'm all for it.

totally! Each their own. My eating would be a lot less enjoyable, but I guess such a thing really helps a lot of people. :)
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,703 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of roasting at high temperature for roast beef, roast potatoes, roast vegetables, skin on poultry and fish. The air fryer is great for this, and uses less energy and is quicker than the oven being smaller and better insulated. The aggressive fan is great for crisping up skin on duck, chicken and fish. If you look at the skin of the wings below, you will see it is paper thin. If you know how to get this texture of chicken skin in a conventional oven without overcooking the meat, please tell me.
    q9oav7r2gcjm.jpeg
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Those look delicious! I have friends who love their AFs and cook with them almost daily. Not opposed to great tech that gets the job done, but my desire for the occasional fast crispy thing isn't quite great enough to justify One More Gadget.
  • neanderthin
    edited October 2022
    Options
    MsCzar wrote: »
    Those look delicious! I have friends who love their AFs and cook with them almost daily. Not opposed to great tech that gets the job done, but my desire for the occasional fast crispy thing isn't quite great enough to justify One More Gadget.

Broiler setting in most ovens will do the job of crisping up. Chicken wings for example I like to slow roast first, then pop under the broiler to crisp up if I'm not deep frying them, which would be my first choice.
  • COGypsy
    Options

totally! Each their own. My eating would be a lot less enjoyable, but I guess such a thing really helps a lot of people. :)

I gave up on home cooking being enjoyable ages ago. It’s functional, keeps body and soul together, but is my most dreaded chore. Honestly, takeout is easier, more varied, and the taste of not doing dishes is delicious. But for the remaining 20% of my diet, I really enjoy an option that’s fast and makes minimal mess. Food itself has almost nothing to do with it.

• MsCzar
    edited October 2022
    Options
    ... I gave up on home cooking being enjoyable ages ago. It’s functional, keeps body and soul together, but is my most dreaded chore. Honestly, takeout is easier, more varied, and the taste of not doing dishes is delicious...
    One of my absolute non-negotiables is a proper automatic dishwasher.
  • COGypsy
    Options
    MsCzar wrote: »
    ... I gave up on home cooking being enjoyable ages ago. It’s functional, keeps body and soul together, but is my most dreaded chore. Honestly, takeout is easier, more varied, and the taste of not doing dishes is delicious...
    One of my absolute non-negotiables is a proper automatic dishwasher.

100%! The only thing in my house that doesn’t go in the dishwasher are my knives! I have serving stuff that would have to be hand washed, but honestly, I usually don’t even bother with a plate. I usually have to run the dishwasher because I’m out of silverware. 😝
  • DFW_Tom
    DFW_Tom Posts: 221 Member
    Options

lol, too late. I've already ordered one. I will check at the library for the Test Kitchen book. Thanks for the tip.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options

This is me, except this time of year I usually do it after lunch, throw it in the crock pot, and it is ready at dinner time, so no prep or dishes need to be done before dinner.

I don't mind the act of washing dishes - it just works out better for me to have done them well ahead of the meal.
  • yirara
    Options

I gave up on home cooking being enjoyable ages ago. It’s functional, keeps body and soul together, but is my most dreaded chore. Honestly, takeout is easier, more varied, and the taste of not doing dishes is delicious. But for the remaining 20% of my diet, I really enjoy an option that’s fast and makes minimal mess. Food itself has almost nothing to do with it.

See, there we differ. I have about 30 pots with herbs and spices next to my hob. And quite a few more in one of my kitchen cupboards, mostly things I mixed together myself. I quite enjoy cooking. I'm not good but I see it as some kind of magic. Sometimes I mix some random things together and magic happens. At other times I follow a tried and tested recipe to the T and it doesn't for some reason. And then the fixers for those occasions come in ;) But yeah, overall cooking hardly ever takes more than 30 minutes for me, of it it does then it's usually bigger portions that I put in the freezer. One of the joys for me is to order a random vegetable box, or try to get a fruit and vegetable Too Good To Go pack, and then figure out what to do with them. This time I got a surprising amount of various cabbages. One china cabbage ended up with carrots and mango in a more unusual Thai green curry, and I'll have one portion left. Yummy!
  • COGypsy
    Options

See, there we differ. I have about 30 pots with herbs and spices next to my hob. And quite a few more in one of my kitchen cupboards, mostly things I mixed together myself. I quite enjoy cooking. I'm not good but I see it as some kind of magic. Sometimes I mix some random things together and magic happens. At other times I follow a tried and tested recipe to the T and it doesn't for some reason. And then the fixers for those occasions come in ;) But yeah, overall cooking hardly ever takes more than 30 minutes for me, of it it does then it's usually bigger portions that I put in the freezer. One of the joys for me is to order a random vegetable box, or try to get a fruit and vegetable Too Good To Go pack, and then figure out what to do with them. This time I got a surprising amount of various cabbages. One china cabbage ended up with carrots and mango in a more unusual Thai green curry, and I'll have one portion left. Yummy!

I do enjoy cooking for other people, I’m really a pretty good cook. I was responsible for packing lunches and cooking dinner for a family of 4 from the time I was 10 and it still seems like a chore overall. I just find the whole process—thinking of things to buy, ordering, cleaning, chopping, cooking, and cleanup—all of it is incredibly abhorrent as a single person. Frozen veg and pre-cooked rice and beans gets the job done, along with the occasional soup or casserole and is really all I need.

• delillolauren
    delillolauren Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Other than a range/oven the only gadget I have and use consistently is my crockpot. I have decent cookware, a sharp knife and my nana’s cast iron pans, including a giant 17 in diameter pan that I use as a roaster.
    I might add that I’m cooking for a family of five and my three kids are athletic and have huge appetites. So I tend to cook ‘big’.
  • MsCzar
    Options
    I sometimes feel a little cheated on the days I don't cook. I find great satisfaction in the creative art of preparing a delicious meal. Today I made a tomato sauce from my garden tomatoes. And since we all know pasta dishes are better on the second day, I combined the hot pasta with the cooled sauce and a few frozen meatballs to meld flavours in the fridge overnight. Then I made fajitas with fresh garden veg, beef and avocado as tonight's meal.
    I know tomorrow's dinner will be tasty, but I will miss going through the process.