Spaghetti Squash Newbie

Options
udallmom101
udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
This morning I went to a local farm and purchased all my wonderful fresh veggies. They had a great assortment of Fall goodies - sweet potatoes, gourds, pumpkins, spaghetti squash. I said what the heck, let's just buy a spaghetti squash, I will figure out what to do with it when I get home. Well, now I am home and I need help. WHAT DO I DO WITH THIS SQUASH? Need recipes, please!

Replies

• mcdonl
    mcdonl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Bake it, then scoop out the guts and use it as spag!! My daughter makes an awesome cold salad using it... I will try to get the recipe.
  • CatMauro
    CatMauro Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I too baught my first spaghetti squash at the farmers' market today. I'm making chicken parmesan with the squash as the base. Hope it's tasty.
  • richellecc
    Options
    Lol...I have one too that I bought this past weekend thinking 'I've never tried this before, I'll give it a go!" I think there are tons of things to do with it; but I don't have any suggestions yet. If I find anything I'll pass it on!
  • froggy15
    froggy15 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Yeah, cook it and scoop it out and use it as spaghetti noodles.
  • sgoldman328
    sgoldman328 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I've never made it before... but I think the idea is to roast it, and then take a fork to it so that it comes out in long-spaghetti-like strands.

I'm not sure on the specifics for time and temp for roasting, though....

Good luck!
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I just made one last night. Set oven to 375, place the whole thing on a cookie sheet and bake for an hour. Slice it in half lengthwise, scoop the seeds out and then take a fork and go from one end to the other and you will have "spaghetti" its good!. I don't put any sauce on it. Just a little spray butter and garlic.
  • DKBelle
    DKBelle Posts: 585
    Options
    Bake it or make a soup out of it :) Ingredients

1 Spaghetti Squash
    4 tablespoons of olive oil
    1 Garlic clove finely chopped
    ½ cup parsley
    1 chopped onion
    1 chopped tomato
    Chicken broth or stock
    Carrots and Spring onions
    Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
    Cut the spaghetti squash in two pieces and clean it by removing all the seeds. Bake it in an oven at 350 degree for about an hour. In a stock pot, heat some olive oil, add the chopped garlic and onions, fry them till they turn golden brown. Now add the tomatoes and the other vegetables with parsley and fry it for sometime. Add the baked spaghetti squash and pour the chicken broth in the stock pot with the above ingredients. Heat the mixture on a low flame till the soup is of a thick consistency. Add salt and pepper to taste. If you like your soup a little spicy you can add red chilly flakes. Top the soup with some boiled noodles or toast pieces if you don't like it plain.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    eventually you simply build a shrine to it, it is the best veg in the world.
  • rwd5046
    rwd5046 Posts: 302
    Options
    .WHAT DO I DO WITH THIS SQUASH? [/quote]

First cut the squash in half and remove the seeds. The skin is hard and takes a little effort to half. Bake cut side down on a baking sheet that has a little Pam spray on it. Yoou can add a little water for steaming but it's not necessary. Bake for about 30-45 minutes at 350 degrees. it's done when the squash half is plyable.

let it cool so you can handle it, use a fork and remove the eatable squash flesh from inside the shell. Comes out stringy hense the name spaghetti. then use it however you want. Hot with meat sauce, no meat jusr sauce, cold as a salad, numbers of ways to use it. And like some of the other post on this, there are lot of receipes out there. Enjoy.
  • savethecat
    savethecat Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I'm so ready for a spaghetti squash bonanza now.
  • shabydonner
    shabydonner Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness I love it. I'm not a big veggie fan so when I find something I like I run with it. Most recently I used it to make chicken parm. Before that spaghetti and meat sauce. It isn't exactly like spaghetti but close enough that I can pretend. The best part is, I'm getting veggies from the squash, tomato sauce and when I take to time to saute some, the onions that go oh so good on top. Plus there is a good bit of fiber and very few calories as I remember.

I have cooked it two different ways.

1 cut in half and scrape out the seeds, bake it (can't remember how long or at what temp for sure) and then after letting it cool use a fork to pull out the "spaghetti"

2, and this is the easier method if you ask me, Poke holes in the squash and bake it whole at 375 for about 1 hour in a shallow baking dish. Let it cool, cut in half, removed seeds, and again use a fork to get out the goodies. I like this better because it is easier to cut in half once its cooked and in general I like that you don't have to do much at the front end.

After you have your squash you can do just about anything too it, top it with sauce, toss it with a little olive oil and parm and some garlic for something a little simpler, the sky it the limit. just be aware you may have to reheat as it dose seem to get cold fast but the microwave is fine for this.

Good luck and enjoy!
  • Javajunkie67
    Javajunkie67 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I'm having mine tonight with pork Marsala and broccoli. Can't wait!
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! That all sounds wonderful. Going to print this out and get some recipes together. If I use it like spaghetti noodles I have OODLES of recipes! Awesome!
  • martymum
    martymum Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    hi

this sounds really good...do any brits know if you can buy it here??

martyxx
  • Javajunkie67
    Javajunkie67 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    You might want to ask this as post of it's own. More people might see it.
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Cut it longways down the middle. It will be hard so use a good knife. Scoop out the center. Put in the microwave till you can stick a fork in and it feels kind of soft or till you can pull the stringe stuff out of the middle with a fork. In my microwave it's about 25 minutes...but ovens vary.

Then, you can put spaghetti sauce on it...or other recipes given here.....

I like mine with a bit of health butter, cinnamon and sweetener......I put that on it before I bake it.....

Good luck...
  • khollyk
    khollyk Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    This sounds excellent! I'm going to look for one this weekend -- do they usually sell them at regular chain grocery stores? I love pasta but have been avoiding it due to the caloric content...so this sounds like heaven!
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Most stores around here sell them but our Walmart has been out of them the past several weeks. There is a bin for them with the sign but the bin has been empty. I wondered if a lot of MFP were getting to them before I could!!!!

Some people mix their pasta ....half spaghetti, half squash.......

I, personally, don't care for it as spaghetti....