stupid elliptical

Options
so, MFP says i'm burning about 30cals per minute on my elliptical, but the elliptical says i'm burning 10 cals/min. however, the elliptical also can't decide if my heart rate is 80 (my resting heartrate is 100, so i don't think that's happening) or 200, and usually decides it's around 120 (i measured when i finished and sat down one day and it was 160), AND it doesn't go up to my weight (about 410lb), the highest it goes is 135kg which i am most definitely not.

is it worth it to get an HRM when i'm just doing like 10 minutes a day, or should i just deal with having no idea how many calories i've burned? i eat them back based on MFP, but since i'm not doing a lot of exercise a day, the extra food is a max of 300 calories a day, and i'm at a pretty steep deficit already so it won't make a huge difference.

also, people with HRMs- how many calories do you burn on the elliptical?

Replies

• sarahkova
    sarahkova Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    In 10 mins I burn on average 87 calories..

I use an HRM. I find that my HRM gives me about 8 calories more in 10 mins then the elliptical does, but my elliptical is also set to my height weight etc and also has a chest strap that will also read my HRMs chest strap.. I find that MFP is always way over what is the actual.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I can burn 10 cals a minute (depending on which brand of elliptical I'm using) but I have to be pushing HARD. MFP at least doubles what my HRM says.

I'd say that if what you're doing is working, no need to mess with it. Are you meeting your goals? If not, a HRM might be a good investment.
  • BattyMama
    BattyMama Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    If it were me I would pick up a HRM I have not got one yet but I am looking for a good one. Good luck
  • moushtie
    moushtie Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    For comparison. At about your weight, the machine I was using said I was burning about 17 cals per minute, going at 80-90 steps per minute. I think MFP assumes you're going at about 110 steps per minute. At the end of the day, they're all estimates, but I hope this helps you get a better estimate for what you're doing.
  • MariaChele85
    MariaChele85 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Yes most deff! I got mine and I love it. I can log my calories burned.and get close to the real number. I'm about 240 and I burn about 10 cal per min. My goal is to burn 300 in 30 min and i usually hit that goal. But you also have to push yourself and raise the resistance!
  • qkiley
    Options
    I love my HRM. Quite simply, I love having the info that it provides while I am working out. It is one of the reasons why I actually enjoy running now. Instead of being just really worn out after running, I am really worn out and know how many calories I burnt. It also makes me work harder during my workouts.

When I was using the elliptical, I was burning about 400 cals for 30 minutes of effort.

Highly recommend a Polar FT7 HRM, it has been great for me.
  • marz31
    marz31 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I'm having the exact same issues with the machines at my gym. Some don't even read my heart rate at all and considering I'm working on my cardio right now I like to know what it is so I can track my progress. I would recommend getting a personal heart rate monitor and I much prefer the strap with wireless transmission to the wristwatch than the ones that you have to hold your fingers on. Some machines will read the strap as well (I know Precor machines read Polar straps).

I also NEVER use the MFP calories when I do the elliptical. I've used 4 different machines at the gym (different styles/brands) and I just basically came up with a general average between the three because one said I was burning like 200 calories in 45 minutes where my heart rate was at 80% and I just can't believe that, considering I can burn more than that by walking 2 miles in less time and I'm working out a LOT harder than that.

I can't address your last question as I don't currently have a heartrate monitor and it's been years since I had one and used an elliptical together. I hope to get one soon because I'm not a huge fan of holding onto machines, except the ellipticals with the moving arms. Good luck!
  • YoungerNextYear59937
    Options
    It is absolutely, positively, without a doubt advantageous to get a HRM. The heart rate readings from your elliptical sound like they're wacky. I've found that to be true as I belong to a gym and some of the machines are accurate, some are a little off, and some are WAY off. It's important to know what your heart rate is. That way you can work in whatever zone you need to, fat burning, cardio, or just to double check your resting heart rate. Also, you don't want a reading of 120 when you're actually at 180!

I suggest a heart rate monitor that doesn't use a strap. It's way easier. There are many different brands and models out there in different price ranges. You should be able to get one for less than $100. If you have a Costco near you, sometimes they offer them at deep discounts. I got one for my husband that retails for $79 and was $43 at Costco. The one I have for myself is a GAIAM heart rate monitor, made by Oregon Scientific. I got mine at REI. LL Bean has them for under $100. Another great place to find one is on eBay. Hope that helps!
  • kknudson
    kknudson Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I use my HRM because well, I hate not being as accurate as I can manage. MFP always UNDERESTIMATES calories burned for me, though it's important to remember that whatever your HRM tells you, those calories burned INCLUDE what you would have burned for that time you're working out anyway. Remember to subtract that from the total :)
  • whatwentwrong
    Options
    thanks so much everyone! it looks like an HRM is the way to go, i'm gonna start looking into them :D
  • smcassaro
    smcassaro Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I understand your frustration. MFP & the equipment at the gym are always miles apart for me. The gym machines estimate way low & MFP is always way high. Before I got my HRM monitor, I always went with what the machines said because I thought that MFP was way too generous- but I was surprised to see that my HRM & MFP are always VERY close. I know my experience is not what others have reported, but that's how it is for me.
  • sarahkova
    sarahkova Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I know you didn't ask but I got a polar f4 and if you buy it through their site you can get the bigger strap, as opposed to amazon where you can only get it with the smaller strap and then pay more for the larger strap. I Love my Polar!
  • irishkiss
    irishkiss Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I would definitly recommend the polar or one WITH a chest strap. I love my polar so easy to use. I bought a cheaper one and just could not figure it out and hated it and a waste of money.
  • val071418
    val071418 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I am 227 lbs now and I have issues with the elliptical I use also. It doesn't have an option to enter in height/weight/age or anything. you just pick a program and go. I usually pick either an aerobic or weight loss program and it says I burn between 330 and 350 in 30 min. MFP says I burn around 500!! So I go with what the machine says and I usually minus 10 cals or so just to compensate a little...Not sure how great that is or not but it is what it is I guess!! LOL I have heard that HRM is the way to go and hopefully I can get one for christmas or something!! Good Luck!!:smile:
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Sadly, my BodyBugg says I burn only 6 calories per minute on the elliptical. That's with the highest incline, and moderate resistance. And I'm moving fast! I get totally sweaty and out of breath.

I burn 8 calories a minute when I'm brisk walking, and 15 when I'm running.