Pregnant!

Options
So I recently found out that I am expecting :)

(this for us is fantastic news as I have PCOS and were told we would never conceive naturally - this is baby #2!)

But I am worried about my calorie intake?

What is a sensible number because before I was on about 1400 which was comfortable for me, I have been told I need to be on 2000 and just cannot reach that daily!! I dont want to under eat but I certainly do not want to over eat and put a lot of weight on too?

Any advice??

Thanks x

Replies

• jennifer2977
    Options
    Eat and don't worry about it until you have the baby? (coming from someone without kids).
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    something your doctor might have the answer to! :)
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    super duper mega exciting congratulations!!!!!
  • crystalgreear
    crystalgreear Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I just had a baby and was told to eat 300 - 500 more calories than my normal maintenance mode. I just added a couple healthy snacks.
  • Robyn1733
    Options
    Consult your dr, but most state add an addition 300-500 calories. YOu can try eating extra fruit, or spacing your meals out all day long as to get your full calories in. Also, remember to eat your exercise calories. BTW congratulations.
  • ReziiTarDust
    Options
    It depends on alot of things. If you suffer from hyper-emisis like I did though I suggest you eat as much as you can possibly keep down, because I actually lost weight the first few months. I didn't start to gain til I was around 7 1/2 to 8 months along.

Usually though if you eat until you feel you are full [without knowingly over doing it] you should be ok.
  • pinkleah456
    Options
    Congratulations!
    I read somewhere that you only have to eat 200-300 extra calories when you're pregnant, hope that helps!
  • mistigoodwin
    mistigoodwin Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Congrats, how exciting!!!

How far along are you?

As far as calories, my doctor told me to do maintenence the first trimester and then add 300 calories to that the second, then an additional 200-300 the third trimester. My calorie intake now is still set to maintenece, but weight gain so far is good, so I'll just keep it at that. It is hard to eat 2000 per day, mine right now is close to 1800 which I have a hard time reaching. I will post a link for you to a very encouraging and exciting informational thread on mfp.
  • allison_joan
    Options
    I was told to eat about 400 extra calories a day. Honestly, I didn't count calories back then and I usually ate a lot of fruits and just ate when I was hungry and felt like I needed to refuel. Also, once you get more pregnant (assuming you aren't far along) you will probably want to eat more because your baby will be consuming more of the food you eat and more of your energy so it will be more natural to eat more.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Go on the advice of your Doctor. If he is saying 2000 then I would stick with that! There are plenty ways to reach that number -

peanut butter
    avocados
    nuts
    olive oil
    milk

Congratulations and best wishes!!
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    First of all, Congrats!! :D

There are calorie calculators online for expecting mothers during each trimester, etc!

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/pregnancy_calorie_calculator.htm

but of course, this is only a guide and asking your doctor is the best option!
  • marz31
    marz31 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I was told while I was pregnant, 100-300 calories extra was all I needed, but when BFing after the baby's here, you NEED up to 500 calories. So the first part means go back to not losing calorie total and add a small snack daily and you should be good to go.

Good luck and HUGE Congrats!!!!!
  • sexyminxinthemaking
    Options
    just eat when your hungry you only need an extra 300 cals a day and thats only in the last 7 weeks of pregnancy so just eat as normall
  • leken04
    leken04 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Just like the others I also was told by the doctor to add about 300-500 calories a day. I have 3 boys and wasn't told this until the third. So I ate ALOT with my first 2! You'll be fine! Take care of yourself! again Congrats
  • rmartin72
    rmartin72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Awesome News And Very Happy For You!! Congratulations!! Prayers go out to you and your family!!
  • gsenriquez
    gsenriquez Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Congrats! You should consult your doctor. I think the most important part is always incorporate exercise in your routine...yoga, walking, etc.
  • poetmelanie
    Options
    first congrats! I agree with crystal, yes you'll need to eat 300-500 extra calories above your maintenance mode calorie intake. You should also listen to your body, some days it will be easier than others to get the extra calories and that's okay. I was hungriest during the second trimester. It also matters if you'll continue to exercise during pregnancy because you'll need extra fuel (calories) to exercise on top of building a baby. I wish you all the best luck in your pregnancy! Heck eat a brownie if you need extra calories every once in a while!
  • JennCLHowell
    JennCLHowell Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all of your replies :)

I dont have a doctors appt until 4th October (it seems sooooo far away!!) so will plod on until then.. I have added 300 calories on atm, so am at a total of 1740 a day.... I think that will be ok for the minute - until I know for definate anyway!!

Thank you again :)