Working Out While Sick??

Options
Okay, I am new to this whole work-out-eat-right-every-day thing so I need some advice. I recently came down with a really annoying head cold and cannot work out at my normal level. I still want to do something every day, so what do you guys do when you are sick but still want to do something active/calorie burning??

Replies

• theradiantbride
    Options
    Usually if I have a cold or something, I'll just go for a short walk.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Okay, I am new to this whole work-out-eat-right-every-day thing so I need some advice. I recently came down with a really annoying head cold and cannot work out at my normal level. I still want to do something every day, so what do you guys do when you are sick but still want to do something active/calorie burning??

HEad colds you can still work out. DO what you can but if it goes to the chest then they say you should back off untill you feel better. Do what you can working out even at a lower level may help kick out the cold
  • Krys_T
    Krys_T Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    I refuse refuse refuse to workout while I am sick. In the 2 or 3 times I have done it while having a cold...it only made me feel worse! Your body needs rest when you are sick, and it needs that rest or you will be sick longer. Drink your fluids, eat right and you will be fine. Once you are 100% then resume the working out :)
  • alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    you are using your body's energy to work out instead of make itself healthy again. I suggest against it, unless its just a walk
  • jbug100
    jbug100 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Same thing with me the other day. I ended up staying at home and doing a yoga session from fitness TV. I usually rather go to gym, but fitness TV is a great option if you're just not up to a vigorous workout. I have Comcast. You can find fitness programs "on demand".
  • cheri0627
    cheri0627 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I am strongly against it if you're going to the gym or a class. Why would you want to share your germs with everyone else?
  • shabydonner
    shabydonner Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I'm dreading that, I don't work out like I should yet but I try to do something every day. I'm roughly 2 months in and haven't gotten sick so far but I do have allergies and there are days my head is so congested I don't feel like doing anything, so I don't. I worried about getting sick sick where is last a week or more because in the past that has always put me in bed all day with the bulk of my activity being blowing my nose. I have started trying to do my weight training on days when my energy is low (like today lol) because it doesn't seem to take it out of me so bad. Still I think if I were actually sick that would feel like a lot. Of course this is coming from someone that has allowed herself to become very sedentary over the last 7 or 8 years and I am not trying to ease myself back into being active so depending on where you were before the cold will determine how much you can handle with it. Just remember to give your body a chance to rest and get better as that takes a certain amount of energy in its own right.
  • loriann09
    Options
    Well, I work out in my home (I mostly do p90x) so I don't have to worry about spreading germs really. I do understand the energy thing and your body needing to recover but wouldn't working out help boost that energy thus making recovery quicker? I still eat well and get lots of sleep. I like the walking and yoga idea as well. Thanks!
  • lilyinlove
    lilyinlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I have a cold at the moment with runny nose and a cough but it has not stopped me
    from doing my shred or a c25k. I always feel a lot better afterwards. If I feel that ****e then I would rest but I can get up to do my household chores so a few minutes of exercise are doable. Listen to
    Your body, if you can't don't... If you think you can... Give it a go.
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I do something moderate. Walking, ab work, yoga. It helps me get over it faster, but sometimes i realize it's just better to go back to bed. If you're running a fever, you really shouldn't try to do much at all.
  • souki19
    Options
    i am sick right now and i still workout but at lower intensity. plus i started drinking some vitamins and vitamin c. it helps a lot
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Usually as long as I can breathe easily at least through my mouth, and I don't feel too feverish, just kind of off, I will actually kick up the intensity. More feverish then I either walk moderately and short duration and if I'm more feverish, have trouble breathing or am super tired I take the hint and don't do anything.

Usually the kicking it up a notch kills the cold and I feel better the next day, as long as I can squeeze in some extra sleep too! But if I can't get enough rest then I back off.
  • tmiqueen
    tmiqueen Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    What my doctor told me is that, if you have a fever, you shouldn't work out.

If you don't have a fever, then keep it very light and just watch your calorie intake instead. Rest is the number one thing you can do to recover quickly from a head cold.

Drink a TON of water, to flush out the mucus.

I also take an allergy pill/decongestant to open up my sinuses.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    I think I'm getting a cold right now. I would just do what you can, whether it is half an hour on the elliptical or taking a walk around the block.
  • midwesthiker
    Options
    I have been sick for over a week. The first few days I didn't do anything, but then after that I started doing strength training. Finally started back in cardio in the last few days. I did take it easy and stopped to cough when I needed to. I could tell that I took days off because it was hard to get back into it and my body was sore!
  • Jess5825
    Options
    I was recently sick. I felt horrible, I actually called out from work, something that is very very rare for me. (also I rarely get sick). So I stayed home and rested and watched tv most of the day. By the end of the day I was feeling a little better but I was feeling bad because I felt so lazy, since I didn't do anything. I went for a walk around my neighborhood.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I'll go for a walk or do something lower intensity when I am sick.
  • YepLilly
    YepLilly Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    HEad colds you can still work out. DO what you can but if it goes to the chest then they say you should back off untill you feel better. Do what you can working out even at a lower level may help kick out the cold

This is what I've heard too. With head colds you can still work out at a lower intensity, maybe go for a light walk or something. If it gets to the chest, do not workout. If you have a fever, do not workout.
  • bellaluna79
    Options
    I think being sick burns calories almost as much as working out. My husband and I have had a serious head cold for about a week. I have not been eating great, because I haven't felt like cooking (lots of canned soup and even some fast food). I have not worked out at all, and when I have entered my calories that have been a bit over what is allowed, but I still managed to lose 3.4 lbs this week. I think if you feel you can do a short walk, go for it, but if you feel like sitting in bed with a bowl of soup, go for it. Your body generally knows what it needs if you know how to listen.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i am full of cold, and have felt ridiculously tired since tuesday, so i have just done a little extra walking but nothing else. was debating doing a proper work out tonight, but i think as soon as i sit down that'll be it for the evening!!