Sodium RUSH

Options
My sodium intake levels have not been below 2,500mg for any day this month. In fact on more than one day, they were at 6000mg (3 times the daily recommended amount over) The tolerable upper intake levels are set at only 2300mg per day.

I eat very healthy, and am relatively within the recommended amounts for other groups.

I blame this on my rushed lifestyle. I am always having to eat on the fly...ya know all those processed "healthy" foods!

Any ideas on how to lower sodium intake levels, and still live the rush?

Replies

• tuber311
    Options
    My sodium intake levels have not been below 2,500mg for any day this month. In fact on more than one day, they were at 6000mg (3 times the daily recommended amount over) The tolerable upper intake levels are set at only 2300mg per day.

I eat very healthy, and am relatively within the recommended amounts for other groups.

I blame this on my rushed lifestyle. I am always having to eat on the fly...ya know all those processed "healthy" foods!

Any ideas on how to lower sodium intake levels, and still live the rush?
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    Fruit and veggies - raw. Great snacks and low sodium!!
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    Make extra when you are cooking. Put the extra in microwave containers. You will have total control. If you do not have a microwave, get nice lunch box, and pack a healthy sandwhich with some fruit and veggies and water. Easy and quick.
    Good luck to you:flowerforyou:
  • garimac
    garimac Posts: 174
    Options
    Take some time one day a week and make your own frozen dinners.
    That way you can control the salt in them, but they will not be prossed and you body will have to do the work of digesting them. This also burns calories and keeps your matabalism up.
    And when your on the frly they will be just as easy to throu in the microwave.
  • ltsoccermom
    Options
    I had to cut down my sodium because my BP was very high. The shock of reality I needed was how much was in the fast food resturants we use to frequent. It only took looking at Taco Bell menu to cure my drive-thru stops. It is all about choices and when you make the right choices you will find your sodium content will be much lower than what the recommended daily targets. Portion control is part of fast food everything you get is 2-3 servings.

I cook now more than I go out and I cut out the items with the most sodium. Now it is rare if I have chips with my sandwich. I will load my turkey with tomatoes and lettuce so I will feel full. Snacks I will eat fruit and use my caramel dipping sauce to get my sweet tooth under control.

If you have to go out go somewhere you can eat healthy and can check their menu online. If I go out I try subway or anywhere I can order a GOOD salad that is good for me. In the last 45 days I have been keeping close watch on my sodium I have been over the 2500 g 7 times and close another 7 times and through all 45 days 21 times were over 2000. It is possible. I have a number of days were it is around 1100-1500. If I can do it so can you!!

Good luck! You can get your numbers down.

Stacy