Too tired to do anything but too wide awake to sleep?

Options
What do you do? This has become a problem lately. Today I was feeling frustrated so I bought an energy drink, a chocolate bar and went for a walk. I'm guessing this isn't the best way to deal with it, I don't want to be dependant on energy drinks, I only want to drink them when I have a long drive ahead of me, but I have been having an average of one a week because I like the taste.

My dietitian said it was good that I was having the sugar free version but I think they are still really unhealthy. Should I keep drinking them until I get to my goal weight then wean off them, or do I deal with the sleep problem now? I'm sick of feeling drowsy. I suspect I'm in a bad part of my Bipolar cycle and it will pass with time, but maybe it won't. I've had to take sleeping pills occassionally for the last few months because other nights my brain won't shut up.

Replies

• JaysFan82
    JaysFan82 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I smoke a joint before bed, but that might not be the best idea with your BiPolar. My gf doesn't smoke for that reason.
  • IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    This may not apply to you, but I drink coffee in the morning and sometimes all they way through dinner too keep me a little more energetic.

But the actual game changer for my sleep is casein protein shake at bedtime. I use 15g chia seeds in it which actually is supposed to help you sleep. I soak the seeds in water for a couple hours before I mix the shake up. Between casein protein and chia seed shake and using my Breathe app, I’m sleeping better than ever before. I still wake up “OMG bills… OMG whatever I’m worrying about….” In the middle of the night at times. If I’m hungry/tummy grumbling, I drink a ready to drink protein shake from my fridge and use my breathe app to try to clear my racing thoughts. If I’m just up with a fear or worry, I don’t even get up, just use the app to help me calm down.

• COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    What do you do? This has become a problem lately. Today I was feeling frustrated so I bought an energy drink, a chocolate bar and went for a walk. I'm guessing this isn't the best way to deal with it, I don't want to be dependant on energy drinks, I only want to drink them when I have a long drive ahead of me, but I have been having an average of one a week because I like the taste.

My dietitian said it was good that I was having the sugar free version but I think they are still really unhealthy. Should I keep drinking them until I get to my goal weight then wean off them, or do I deal with the sleep problem now? I'm sick of feeling drowsy. I suspect I'm in a bad part of my Bipolar cycle and it will pass with time, but maybe it won't. I've had to take sleeping pills occassionally for the last few months because other nights my brain won't shut up.

What time did you have the energy drink and chocolate? I have some kind of energy drink most days, but stop caffeine around noon. Sugar spins me up, but the crash comes pretty quickly, sometimes I game that so I crash around bedtime. Usually I just have a little something sweet after dinner and don't worry about it. But if I ate an entire candy bar and tried to go to sleep, I'd lay there feeling my eyeballs twitch for an hour or so. Maybe it's an issue of when you're timing these things?