"Get Real or Stay the Same!"

Options
Well, we all have been down this road of dieting, cheating and starting over. We convince
ourselves that we don't know why we gained weight this week. But the ugly truth is to gain weight we are consuming more calories than we are burning. We find excuses such as its water weight, I had a lot of stress this week, I didn't have time to eat healthy". I know because I have used every excuse there could be. It is easy to find an excuse to justify our bad habits, we want what we want. If losing weight was easy, we all would be skinny. Just remember your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same. What is your excuse? Change or stay the same?

Replies

• Izzybella22
    Izzybella22 Posts: 17 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Xellercin, thank you for your input I enjoyed reading it. You gave good incite to how you have achieved a lifestyle that works for you and your husband. It is very important to understand what works best for you and achieve the goals you have set.
    Like so many I have struggled with my weight and stress for many years. There is no easy answer or any one answer that fit all. But just like any addiction, we must be real and treat it in a positive way that will achieve the greatest results that we can live with. It's hard life when battling the one thing that seems impossible to beat. There is a lot in my life I could blame for my bad choices on. I start off on fire and start losing but the old me wants what I want. I have used food to medicate the pain, disappointment and loneliness for the past 30 years. It is easier to reach for a piece of cake or pizza than to deal with the real problems. But I have lost 30 pounds sense 2019 and though I am still about 40 pounds from my goal. I take two steps forward and, in a few weeks, take a step backward. I have lost the same 10 pounds over and over in the same month. I always justify it by convincing myself that I am ok, and I will get back on track tomorrow. I would be at goal if I had stayed on course and would now be maintaining and stead of feeling guilty about failing. I struggle every day just like any other addict and pray for strength to keep trying. "Every step towards my desires today is a step closer to my regrets tomorrow."

84103602.png
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Yep, I've often said that the best diet is a really great therapist.

It can be hard to tackle major challenges, stresses, traumas, and a lifetime of behavioural patterns by yourself.
  • Izzybella22
    Options
    Well, said. I think it takes actually admitting to oneself the truth and face it staying present in the moment and not giving up.

Down-2lbs. this past week (not perfect but still a loss).
  • Izzybella22
    Options
    It's hard to ask for help, support and very discouraging when you have none. But I am doing this for me, and I must keep pushing forward. I have been very slow with my total commitment but still losing about a pound a week. I know I can do better if only to prove it to myself. If you are reading this and would like to have buddy to help keep you motivated; I am here and welcome, you to post.

SW:204.6
    CW:201.2
    GW:165
  • Izzybella22
    Options
    Ok not a real big progress, but it is a loss.

SW:204.6
    CW:199.0
    GW:165
  • TryingtodoitallSUCKS
    Options
    I'm back here because I've been gaining, a lot. I've gained 22 pounds since my last weigh-in. I stopped caring. I put away all my skinny clothes and bought a size I've never before this year. And honestly, I'm okay with being fat. That's so f'd up, I know, but I just don't care like I should. I'm focused on other things - and have seemed to grow into my oldness and am heading to the heart disease lane of my family history. When I was 30 pounds lighter it was because I was having an amazing time with a man who made me happy. That man is out of the picture now and I'm thinking this has something to do with my attitude. I need to find my self-love and stop loving myself with food =D. Anyway, I'm here to address my addiction like everyone else. I appreciate the support of this site. Thanks to everyone who reaches out to me.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Well, we all have been down this road of dieting, cheating and starting over. We convince
    ourselves that we don't know why we gained weight this week. But the ugly truth is to gain weight we are consuming more calories than we are burning. We find excuses such as its water weight, I had a lot of stress this week, I didn't have time to eat healthy". I know because I have used every excuse there could be. It is easy to find an excuse to justify our bad habits, we want what we want. If losing weight was easy, we all would be skinny. Just remember your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same. What is your excuse? Change or stay the same?

Yes, no, maybe. Water weight is very valid and not necessarily an excuse. The human body is comprised of roughly 55-65% water and that composition fluctuates naturally and can be exacerbated by more or less sodium, more or fewer carbohydrates, new or increased intensity of exercise, hormones, etc. While losing weight it is completely normal to fluctuate and have weeks with a good loss, no loss, and even gains.

It is definitely a good idea to take a look in the mirror, but to also recognize that not everything is an excuse and that normal weight fluctuations are...well, normal. I started back to the weight room a week ago and put on 5 Lbs in two days...I can assure you it was water from having had a 4-5 month hiatus from lifting. There's zero chance that I ate 17,500 calories over maintenance in 2 days without knowing it.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,467 Member
    Options
    @Izzybella22

Maybe stop disparaging your losses. Your plan is working. You have a downward trend. The trend is your friend. Don’t mess with a plan that’s working.

You’re brain will wreck you if you let it. Personally I think our brains hate weight loss. Actually there’s parts of our brains that hate change of any kind. Parts of our brains would love it if today was just like yesterday. Consider the popularity of TV reruns.

But look at what your brain is trying to do to you. You’re racking up 2 lb losses and your brain is trying to tell you it’s not good enough. Why? It’s the set up for when you have a .2 lb loss, or zero loss or even a gain. (And those things will happen.) Then your brain can get you to declare the whole thing a failure and quit. Which is what it really wants to do, quit. Or if it can’t sell you on outright failure, it will try to sell you on the idea that the whole thing is too much trouble for too little return. So why bother? Then that leads to quit.

Try this. My digital scale works in .2 lb increments. I came to see each one of those .2 ticks as something standing between me and goal weight. I had to cross all of them off the list to get to goal. I weighed weekly. What I was hoping for was a step toward goal. Even if it was even only 1 of those ticks, crossing just one off was a sign of success. Resistance to embracing our successes seems to be a problem in weight loss. I don’t know why. It’s like not wanting to take yes for an answer.

And maybe consider this- how’s your life living with your program? Can you see yourself living with your plan long term? With a livable plan, time can be on our side in this.

Last thing- we only get one life. If you are trying to improve yours you deserve to succeed. You deserve the life you want for yourself. Everyone does. No, you don’t get to live in your neighbors house just because you would like to, but if you see weight loss as part of self improvement you deserve support. And you can start with yourself. Support your own effort. Next time you post a loss, any loss, go look at yourself in the mirror and say out loud “It’s working. I did a good job this week.” Try it. You’ll see. Good luck.
  • designer91056
    designer91056 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    @lizzybella22
    I don’t understand why you don’t consider a 2lb loss great progress. If that was me I’d be doing a happy dance. I’m so used to seeing a .4-.6 weight loss each week I was thrilled with a loss of a whole lb this morning.