Question for the "LOW CARB-ers"

Options
Hi.. I had question for those who are on low carbs. HOW DO YOU DO IT??? It seems sooo hard. I completely cut out all simplex carbs - all that bad stuff like white bread, white pasta - white rice.. and have switched to whole grains such as Ezekiel whole grain sprouted toast, kashi go lean cereal, and multigrain flax seed crackers.. I was wondering.. as far as keeping it low carb, is this a faster way towards weight loss? What happens when you UP your carbs.. i'd figure that it'd cause weight gain? I am not a low carb diet but I was just curious as to how you guys do it.. props to all of you who cut bread out too.. I simply can't do it lol! Got to have my ezekiel bread!

I am getting about 120g or carbs per day.. is that too high? Sometimes i'm a bit over.

Replies

• coffeefreak88
    coffeefreak88 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I know for me i was getting the worst headaches in the evening and couldn't figure out why. It was my blood sugar crashing!! I've just started doing low carb but my headaches are gone and i am not having nearly as many cravings as i was. It also makes me eat more veggies :)
  • LowCarbForLife
    LowCarbForLife Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    To the OP I think you answered your own question when you said you just can't do it. If you feel that way you shouldn't start a true low carb diet. Those will likely have fewer than 120 g or carbs per day. Assuming you're eating 1200 calories per day, that would be 40% of your total calories which isn't anyboy's definition of low carb.

IMO, low carb should be a lifetime lifestyle change or it won't work. I've heard too many people say that they did Atkins or South Beach or whatever and lost a lot of weight, then for whatever reason they get off the diet and gain the weight back. It peeves me a bit when I hear these people blame their original diet for their subsequent weight gain but I guess it is human nature to blame things other than oneself.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say I am a low carb-er, per se, but I try to keep them lower than the "standard recommendation" because I find that I am hungry all the freakin' time when 60% of my calories are carbs (yes, even whole grains, even sprouted grains).

But I have heard anecdotally that a lot of the mistake people make is trying to cut back on carbs without upping fat. We are still so afraid of dietary fat that people try to go both low carb and low fat and it doesn't go over well.

Also, I know that many people find that they lose weight easily on low carb and, when they get to maintenance, they add them back in slowly and might reach pretty "normal" levels of carbohydrates without regaining the weight. But they have also probably learned in that time how different carbohydrates sources might effect them differently and that dietary fat keeps them satiated, so they don't totally "carb out" like they may have before. Hence, they can maintain.
  • LowCarbForLife
    LowCarbForLife Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say I am a low carb-er, per se, but I try to keep them lower than the "standard recommendation" because I find that I am hungry all the freakin' time when 60% of my calories are carbs (yes, even whole grains, even sprouted grains).

But I have heard anecdotally that a lot of the mistake people make is trying to cut back on carbs without upping fat. We are still so afraid of dietary fat that people try to go both low carb and low fat and it doesn't go over well.

Also, I know that many people find that they lose weight easily on low carb and, when they get to maintenance, they add them back in slowly and might reach pretty "normal" levels of carbohydrates without regaining the weight. But they have also probably learned in that time how different carbohydrates sources might effect them differently and that dietary fat keeps them satiated, so they don't totally "carb out" like they may have before. Hence, they can maintain.

I think you are absolutely correct on both points. First, low carb diets are not high protein, they are high fat. You should be eating about the same level of protein as you were before, assuming you weren't eating too much or too little, but your calories from fat should be up in the 65% or higher range. This I believe is what most people who try and fail at Atkins don't understand and therefore get completely wrong.

The second point you make is that although most low carb diets like Atkins typically start with a period of very low carbs (20 grams or less per day) almost all of the ones I know about will allow the gradual reintroduction of more carbs into the diet. This is done while the person monitors closely their reaction to more carbs. Not everyone does this though, I know for one I don't, because I just feel better and continue to lose body fat when I keep my carbs very low, essentially eating them only through vegetables. Oh, and a few carbs through beer now and then. ;-)
  • Jojobeth
    Options
    I try and keep my <100 grams per day and I get most of those carbs from fruits and veggies. At first it totally sucked...like probably the first 2 weeks. My body was just craving carbs! I loved bread but now I dont really even like it anymore. In fact eating a lot of carbs now makes me feel sick. I actually feel so much better doing lower carbs! I feel full longer and I have a lot more energy. I personally love eating lower carb but I definitely would never say that this diet is for everyone I totally think that it depends on your body. But for me it works :)!
  • auctoritas
    Options
    I'm on a keto diet - similar to perpetually staying in the atkins induction phase. It's not really that hard. I actually discovered that you can substitute cauliflower for potatoes, rice, and bread crust! It's crazy. Plus avocado burgers (no bun) make for a tasty breakfast. Then you just cook everything in fat, including your greens, and it's pretty tasty. I'm new to it, but if you look for any of the keto threads people see a lot of progress in general.

But yeah, you just need to eat your veggies, and eat meat/protein, and make sure you have plenty of fat in the form of butter, oil, etc. While easier than I expected in general, it's hard to stay under 20g/carbs per day sometimes. I indulged in 4 grape tomatoes for breakfast and it put me over a few carbs. X3
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I donno, this is the easiest way of eating I've ever done. I mean, it's sure easy to stuff my face with bread, but the satisfaction only lasts temporarily.

A "diet" of eating all the bacon, beef, meats overall....leaves me with nothing to complain about or desire. Mmmm...bacon.

I've never felt better....mentally or physically. After years of essentially killing myself, I feel like I'm on the road to healing myself, inside and out. I dont even want the baked goods or even the "healthy" (right) grains. Throw me a slab of meat swimming in fat, with a avacado on the side. ::::drooling::::
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I real key is how you feel on this kind of diet. I feel clearer with more energy than ever on this diet. I learned my lesson the hard way that it's a lifetime diet for me. But if you're not feeling better on this diet, for whatever reason, it may not be the right diet for you. Everyone is different. The cravings are usually intense in maybe the first week or so but after that, you should feel great with minimal cravings.

This time around for me, I also incorporated exercise and strength training. I may still weigh a lot more than years ago, but I fit into those same clothes from that time. It really is about watching more than just carbs, like watching fat and protein. Not restricting so much as keeping a set ratio. Mine is 10% carbs, 40% protein, and 50% fat. I found this ratio works best for my body. I don't pay attention to calories so much as these macros.
  • klabeau
    klabeau Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    saving my spot
  • Iceskatefanrn
    Iceskatefanrn Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I never thought I'd be a "low carb" eater... like you, didn't think I could do it.. BUT I had always wanted to stop eating refined flours and sugars, artificial sweeteners, and unhealthy fats. You'd think, as an RN, I'd know what to do. But I just didn't know how to get started.

Then I found The 17 Day Diet. Please don't take the title on it's own... it's not over in 17 days. It's a 4-cycle diet... the first 3 are 17 days each. The 4th is Maintenance. It's a VERY STRUCTURED way to achieve the reduced carbs you are looking for, with tools to lose and keep the weight off! Maintenance is controlled, healthy carbs with 3 "cheat meals" per week - if you just gotta have a bacon cheeseburger, you go have one. Then if you gain back 5 lbs or more from your goal, you can go back to Cycle 1 to stay in your maintenance weight range.

There's a lot more to it than that, I just wanted to say it's exactly what I needed to get the eating lifestyle I wanted! Feel free to read the 17 Day Diet message thread if you'd like to know more!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/347674-the-17-day-diet

:drinker:

Ice
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Hi.. I had question for those who are on low carbs. HOW DO YOU DO IT??? It seems sooo hard. I completely cut out all simplex carbs - all that bad stuff like white bread, white pasta - white rice.. and have switched to whole grains such as Ezekiel whole grain sprouted toast, kashi go lean cereal, and multigrain flax seed crackers.. I was wondering.. as far as keeping it low carb, is this a faster way towards weight loss? What happens when you UP your carbs.. i'd figure that it'd cause weight gain? I am not a low carb diet but I was just curious as to how you guys do it.. props to all of you who cut bread out too.. I simply can't do it lol! Got to have my ezekiel bread!

I am getting about 120g or carbs per day.. is that too high? Sometimes i'm a bit over.

Well with most lower carb plans, you add back in carbs slowly and there is no weight gain.
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I think Atkins phase 1 is like 20g
    I did it and lost 50lbs. I'm now just doing a healthy diet and exercise and have lost 18 more.
  • Hi there.

I am Day 16 into a very low carb diet (20-30gs max per day). I am following Nerys and India's Idiot Proof Diet-From Pig to Twig. I am a true carboholic and the first few days I wanted to eat my own arm off! I have tried Atkins/South Beach in the past, and always caved by day 5 as my yearning for bread would defeat me.

It's tough-there's no doubt about that. I am giving this my all this time, as I truely believe that for me, a low carb regime for life (YIKES!) is the only way I will lose and maintain the weight I need to. My blood sugars seem more stable, and whilst the "desire" for potatoes/bread have not diminished, it's not all consuming and I haven't cheated-which is a first.

I suppose what is also helping me, is that psychologically, I am trying to reframe my food associations and fixations. "No, I am not being deprived because I can't have toast with my eggs in the morning, or bread with my soup". That kinda thing.
  • littlemsmuffet
    Options

Okay, firstly, I am sooo glad you posted this thread because I'm new and I'm looking for low-carbing buddies. Secondly (and to answer your question), the first 3-5 days are truly the hardest. You have headaches, feel dizzy, maybe nauseated, and intense carb cravings. It's pretty brutal for me. Once I have adapted (around day 3) I feel great and have much more mental clarity.

As far as your question of low carb being slower or faster, it is generally faster because of the rapid reduction in water weight. When glycogen molecules are used, the water molecules they are bound to are also shed. Water is also shed with fat and muscle and water weight will go with any reduction in intake, however, it is greater on a low carb diet than a typical moderate-high carb diet because the latter maintains glycogen stores while shedding fat/muscle water weight. The glycogen weight is a bonus of low carb.

For many people with insulin issues or enzyme deficiencies low carb is a great alternative to moderate-high carb diets but it definitely isn't a one-size-fits-all. I think 120g carbs sounds like a nice moderate amount. I can eat up to 100g before I feel sick but I usually keep mine between 20-50g anyway. Protein is a great "filler" too.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Those darn simplex carbs make me bloat, I just can't do them.
  • winkie77
    winkie77 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've tried counting calories and hitting the gym pretty hard for the past month, and I can barely tell a difference on the scale - so frustrating!! I'm making a switch to "low carb" starting tomorrow. I've done it in the past and I've always felt better mentally and physically (past day 3), and for me it will have to be a lifestyle change this time. I'm happier skinny then eating a cookie.

FYI low carbers - if you're just dying for some bread, they do make a low carb bread that nets 5 grams. It actually tastes pretty good. Its great for a grilled cheese sandwhich, or any sandwhich for that matter, toast in the AM, etc. My local grocery store sells it in the bread section with the real stuff. :-)
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I don't know how I ever did Low Carb in highschool/early college. I've thought over and over again about going back to it, but I can't seem to pull it off.

One thing you might want to look at is your "net carbs". Many people eating low carb follow this. Basically it is your Carbs - Fiber.

So if your averaging 120 carbs a day and 40 Fiber....your actually eating about 80 carbs a day....does that make sense?

I haven't been doing low carb...in fact my carbs are often through the roof (like 200!) but I'm still down 45lbs just by exercise and calories alone. Its all about life style. Some people feel better on low carb, therefore it becomes their lifestyle change. If its hard for you, and your just doing it to try and have a quicker loss then its probably not a good idea.

Good luck!
  • KavemanKarg
    Options
    Karg notice dat in nature da good food on da ground and in da trees is da low carb kind. Dere be sum tubers and da nuts dat have more. Mebbe get some honey, mmmmm so rare to get dat!

But Karg have lots of mojo for dat hunting and da chasing and workingz dat Karg need do.

But when Karg bellie rumble, Karg wants da meat and da marrow and da fat! DAT make Karg feel full and strong!

Karg tink dat u kould do gud without does carbs dat come in a bag.

Karg no count carbs, Karg no good wit numbers. Dat for Karg's mate.