who wants to join me in throwing the scale out of the window

Options
i'm really frustrated and am hoping maybe somebody can offer insight or motivation outside my circle of friends, so i'm copying my blog post here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/AggieCass09/view/throwing-the-effing-scale-out-the-window-150369

I've literally just read every link on the first three Google search pages for each of the following searches:

"not losing weight"
"weight loss plateau"
"setting reasonable goals"
"goal weight"
"strength training and weight gain"
"NROLFW success stories"
"positive thinking"
"throwing the scale out the window"

My eyes hurt. Today's productivity has been shot.

And yet, there is still a feeling of distinct unrest within; something is bothering me and I can't identify just what it is.

Here are some potentials, maybe just rambling about what is bothering me will solve the problem:

The scale isn't moving. I've been trying to CONVINCE myself for weeks now that the scale lies. My clothes are fitting better, I can lift more weight, I can run further, I have more energy, I'm generally happy...but that damn number is like a down-pillow-quill poking you in the face during a pleasant night's sleep.

?action=view&current=angry_scale

Putting aside HOW it makes me feel, I naturally try to figure out WHY it is happening.

Am I eating too much? Aside from last night, not likely.

Am I not working out enough? Aside from yesterday, not likely.

Are things happening that aren't easily quantified? Likely. I am eating more protien. I am lifting heavy weights. I NEED to get my body fat measured ASAP

Which brings me to the question: Do I need to lose more weight?

I've lost 27 lbs (184.6 to 158.0)

All the calculators (BMI, weight, BF %) put me in the "normal" category.

According to BMI my weight range should be 121-160. I'm at the upper edge of that. According to my BF, I've set my "ideal and ultimate" goal to be 139 lbs putting me right in the middle of the "athletic" range. BUT 139 just seems SO unattainable at the moment since ive been stuck in the upper 150's for the past NINE MONTHS. At this point I'd be happy with seeing 155 for two consecutive days!

Why is the scale such an esteemed tool of measure?

I can run far

I have nice curves and am not squishy

There is a gap between my legs

My pants are a size 4 or 6

My bicept/tricept definition is apparent even under my sweaters

I have lots of energy

My skin is clear

My nails grow really fast

I poop twice a day

I am not "restricting" anything from my diet (just "treats" in moderation)

I enjoy working out and pushing myself to my limits

Really, what GOOD does the scale do? What is it's PURPOSE?

Am I overtraining? Probably. I took yesterday off because I wasn't feeling it. I need to continue to listening to my body. A big shout out to Susan (thedreamhazer) for planting the "could I be...?" seed, if it wern't for your blog a few days ago, I wouldn't have taken the rest day I needed yesterday.

Am I really being that impatient? I've been on "this journey" (I HATE that expression) for well over a year. I'm 24 days away from my 365-consecutive-log-in-day streak and I'm "only" ten pounds lighter than I was back then. I'm doing everything right (eating, exercising, water, resting, setting goals, changing things up, etc) and I'm starting to lose my drive. One can only find so many ways to see the same thing on the scale and keep pushing. I have all these great rewards in place but the scale is at an utter hault. I'm NEVER going back to the way I was since I genuinely enjoy eating healthy and being active, but I'm exhausted by the "# lbs to go" that hovers over me every minute of every day. Even if I don't look to the "utlimate" goal and jsut focus on the closest 5 lb interval, the scale isn't budging. I feel like I deserve to have the scale move...even 0.5 lbs a week! I *thought* the scale finally stated to move, but I'm not so sure any more. Again...WHY does the scale frikin dictate everything?

Are my goals realistic?

Back in April 2010 it was to get back to my wedding weight of 167 lbs. I've done this plus an extra 10.

In January 2011 I wanted to set a PR. I did in Jan 2011 and then beat that PR in Feb 2011.

My current goals are:

Set new PR's in either Vegas (dec '11) or Houston (jan '12) with a 9:09 pace for a sub 2 hour half. I'm doing weekly speed work outs to reach this goal.
Get ripped (i.e. decrease body fat). I'm lifting 2-3x a week to reach this goal.
Weigh 139 lbs...again trying all of the above with miminal success

I think that is realistic.

So, this really didn't make me feel any better. I know I need to completely cut the scale's control strings...ASAP. I have accepted that strong is the new skinny, but I need to ask myself: what would you do differently if you wern't trying to lose weight?

?action=view&current=do-dont.pmg

since I've really got nothing to lose in the meantime...

Replies

• slimyfishy
    slimyfishy Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Sunshine, you are doing AMAZING!!!! I can also say that long distance runners don't lose weight while they are training. I've said this before. I'm currently training for 2 marathons and 3 halves between Dec-Feb. I've run 3 marathons and 5 halves. Through all of those miles, I lose MAYBE 5lbs. I've run well over 200 miles in a month on many occasions. I do not lose. I think it is that our bodies hold onto whatever fuel we give it.

Honestly, I haven't weighed myself in 2 months. Today, I put on a pair of jeans that were FALLING off of me. They were super tight in January. Today, they needed a belt. I know that I'm more toned and fit. I FEEL better. I LOOK better. I'm doing everything right with my Net calories, water consumption, sleep, vitamins, exercise, etc.

During my last training season, I was REALLY SICK OF MY SCALE, so I went to Weight Watchers. I religiously followed their plan (eating around 1200 a day) and ran over 200 miles that month. Do you know what happened? I GAINED 4LBS.! Why? I wasn't fueling my body enough. I was soooooo frustrated, I talked to the leader. She said I was eating too much. Say what? I mentioned it to the lady at weigh in (a marathon runner also) and she said: "Honey, you shouldn't be trying to lose weight while you are training. You will get discouraged EVERY TIME you step on the scale. The pounds just won't budge. Enjoy your training, and come back when you aren't working your body so hard."

Right there is how I sum up my life. I'm focusing on being healthy and fit. That damned scale can collect dust for all I care. Sure, I'd love to get back into my skinny size 6 jeans (currently in a size 8). I will eventually. For now, I'm enjoying my training, eating right, and taking care of me.

YOU ARE DOING GREAT!!!
    Shan:drinker:
  • emma1488
    Options
    From what you've said, yes, I think you need to throw out your scales! **** them! You said yourself you are so healthy now, feel great and look great. Why are you punishing yourself with this number? Are you recording you BF%? It might be going down without you realising.

The way I figure it, you have two choices: (a) You could say **** it, it's not working and give up and see where that takes you, or (b) you can continue eating well, exercising and being healthy and see where that takes you...
    I know which I would choose.
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Man you have totally summed up my feelings at the moment.

I am in the same position as you. I eat and workout a million times better than I did a year ago. I am stronger, faster and healthier no doubt. But despite this I can't seem to lose any more weight! But is this what I should be worried about>

Break the habits of a lifetime, break up with my scale. It's so hard because measuring progress via body fat is so slow! But I think it is the way you (and I!) will end up happy. I want it to come from the way I look and feel, not from a stupid digital number. I'm even thinking about getting rid of my ticker - like you say I'm EXHAUSTED from looking at "3 pounds to go"

I kind of feel like this is the next "phase" you see people go into, once they've lost weight they seem to evolve into this phase where these other things are their focus. Maybe we are just ready to move into that stage - and it is quite different to widely held knowledge (at least the kind I've been exposed to ) which is purely based on weight loss, so is a bit of a mind twist to compute!
  • lauradupree
    Options
    Weight loss is good if you need to lose weight, but with the muscle that you are building, it sounds like you are, and should be, in maintenance. It seem like your body is telling you that. I know it is not your goal, but everything you said about yourself is amazing... everything from your clothes size, to your exercise regiment, to your dietary choices. It all screams, "Yippee!" You're doing everything right as near as I can tell. Give yourself a pat on the back. :smile: And throw out the scale or hide it in a dark closet somewhere. It's a relic from your past life. You don't need it anymore.
  • dmg8s
    Options
    I am really proud of what you have accomplished, primarily because it outdoes me in so many ways. My advice is to continue to be patient and eliminate treats. Yes, you heard me, eliminate the sugar and see if that gets you to 155 and lower consistently.

By the way, I am great at giving advice, just poor on taking my own. I have been struggling to lose 20 lbs for about 10 years....but the not losing is all me. I am in far better shape and have much more endurance for exercise now, but as soon as a few pounds go bye bye I dig into the sugar and put them back on.....regardless of how bad it is for me and my arteries, thinking, sleeping etc.

blessed but not so balanced