Just started and NOT LOSING

Options
Hello,
I started working out again and tracking my calories about 20 days ago and my scale hasn't moved a bit! I'm working out every day doing some sort of cardio and some weight training, usually walking briskly or walk running or doing Shred. I have my calorie limit set at 1300 and am doing pretty well staying around that number, usually lower. I'm so frustrated because shouldn't I have seen a pretty decent drop already? Could I possibly be gaining so much muscle from my workouts that it's evening out? My pants don't feel different, I don't look different yet... I'm just lost.

I'm not sure where to look here to find out if I am eating the right amount of calories. To put it all out there I'm 41 years old, weigh 175 per my old scale, and am 5'6" tall.

I don't mean to be a complainer, but I'm doing something wrong here and I just want to set it straight and move on. I feel like I'm working hard, but have nothing to show.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,581 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I started working out again and tracking my calories about 20 days ago and my scale hasn't moved a bit! I'm working out every day doing some sort of cardio and some weight training, usually walking briskly or walk running or doing Shred. I have my calorie limit set at 1300 and am doing pretty well staying around that number, usually lower. I'm so frustrated because shouldn't I have seen a pretty decent drop already? Could I possibly be gaining so much muscle from my workouts that it's evening out? My pants don't feel different, I don't look different yet... I'm just lost.

I'm not sure where to look here to find out if I am eating the right amount of calories. To put it all out there I'm 41 years old, weigh 175 per my old scale, and am 5'6" tall.

I don't mean to be a complainer, but I'm doing something wrong here and I just want to set it straight and move on. I feel like I'm working hard, but have nothing to show.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
    You're probably not eating enough. 1300 is probably just your BMR (which I think is low). What's your BMR supposed to be?
  • wutamunkee
    wutamunkee Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7 190 pounds... same problem... started 8/22 and been yoyoing a couple pound loss (1-3 pounds)
  • KiteGirl83
    Options
    I'm 169 (started at 178 or so) and 5'6'' too. My first month I gained weight and my pants were tighter, especially in my quads b/c I started running. I changed my weekly loss goal from 2 lbs. a month to 1.5 and got more calories to eat, and it helped! Someone told me that the abrupt change from no exercise and eating TONS to exercising and eating 1200 calories probably triggered starvation mode- or something- and sure enough, when I ate a few more calories every day I started to lose more.

Also, be careful with tracking. Use measuring cups if you're not sure about portion sizes. I had a really distorted idea of the "right" amount of food- I'd say I was eating 1 cup and actually eating 3 cups. For awhile I was overeating still, as well. With careful measuring and around 1300 calories, I found success :)

Good luck! Our weight goals are probably similar if you want to be friends :)
  • mizzdivat
    mizzdivat Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I did a cleanse when I first started to jump start my weight loss. Don't know if you are doing this or not, but try increasing the intensity of your workout. If you are using the same machines and doing the same routines, your body will get used to that and you won't lose. Be sure to change it up from time to time and increase the intensity. Best to you :)
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I did not lose weight when my calories were set to 1200-1300, I am now eating 1500-1600 daily with exercise and am losing slowly and steadily. It's a matter of playing with the numbers and finding what works for you.
  • amyschaefer
    Options
    Same thing happened to me when I started. I started running and cutting calories and nothing happened for a few weeks (maybe 4) and then all of a sudden I was down a pound and then a couple more... It seemed so slow but I ended up losing 10 lbs in 2 months. Keep with it and it will happen. I know how frustrating it is to be working so hard and not seeing that reward but you will! You will also have some muscles where you didn't before!
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    And take measurements....don't always go by that darn scale!! Remind yourself you are making a change for the better, it didn't happen overnight, and it won't be done overnight....at least that is what I tell myself frequently!! ;)
  • mopovich
    mopovich Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I would recommend measuring your arms, bust, waist, hips, thighs, calves and go by you measurements, not your weight. You're weight can fluctuate drastically depending on if you've went to the bathroom, the time of day, etc. If you focus more on inches, you will be more successful! That's what worked for me anyway.

If you are strength training (which you should), you are adding muscle while losing fat. Fat takes up more room in your body so two people can weigh exactly the same thing and the person with more fat will look bigger because fat is bulky and muscle is lean! :) Does that make sense or do I sound like a d-bag! LOL

I would also say that you are eating too few calories. Limit the carbs, increase the lean protein and keep at it! Way to go!
  • leilani♥
    Options
    I did not lose weight when my calories were set to 1200-1300, I am now eating 1500-1600 daily with exercise and am losing slowly and steadily. It's a matter of playing with the numbers and finding what works for you.

^^ Exactly!! I started with 1200 calories because I wanted to lose 2 lbs a week. And wasn't losing much. So I changed my intake to 1440 Plus exercise calories and now I lose 2 lbs a week.
  • clo4
    clo4 Posts: 10
    Options
    First, what's BMR? ... like I said, I'm new to this. :)

Thanks everyone for your comments already! This is amazing! I will try upping my calories, but I'd love to have someone/something tell me how many calories to eat. @kitegirl did MFP tell you how many calories when you changed your weightloss goal? I feel like everyone's getting info here that I can't find. Don't you just set your own sutff or is there some place where the calculations can be given (roughly I know)?

Thanks again! Keep the info coming! It is much appreciated!
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing/measuring all your food? Are you using an HRM or BodyBugg to track calories burned? You really have to be accurate with your tracking or the math won't work.

You shouldn't be relying on estimates. I will lie to myself about how much I think I'm getting when it's something I crave. Gym machines and the MFP estimator are notorious for being off. You'll see plenty of threads from people who get an HRM and check it against the estimates they had been using. "OMG! I can't believe the difference...!!!" The good news is: on some activities you may be burning more than estimated. It's always cool to find those out!

There's also that period of shock in the beginning, where your body is confused. You may still be there.

Good luck!
  • wendyshilent
    Options
    i had the same problem too in the begging when i change my diet.. am short 4''9 weight about 103pound when i first started. i eat small calories everyday for about a month and my weight was crazy it keep going up and down. for the first week i gain one pound and was wondering why i gain but not losing any weight cuz i was working out everyday.. i notice to i was always hungry every min feel like i was starving my self.. i was stressing out so after a month i change my food to eating more calories and after a week i notice a different i lose weight and i was not feeling hungry any more...
  • AirGoddess
    AirGoddess Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Keep at it....it took me forever to see any results....it was almost three months then I like dropped 35 lbs over night (it seemed) I know it is hard but keep at it! ;) Also try not eating after 8 or 9 pm.........it helped me! ;)
  • taniastuart
    Options
    Keep going! Simply put, your body needs to increase muscle so it can burn more energy effectively. So you are likely losing weight but also gaining muscle mass. In about 2-3 weeks you'll notice weight loss as the muscle mass will have increased and be burning through more energy.

PS - I've found about 1500 cal is a good daily average for weightloss