Whole Food Plant Based Eating

Options
After doing lots of research. Reading books and watching videos. I have decided to go Whole Foods Plant Based for my nutrition. I am prediabetic: fasting glucose 122, hemoglobin A1C 6.1 and want to reverse this trend and ensure I never become diabetic. Books and YouTube that have helped me make this decision include: 1) "Mastering Diabetes" by Cyrus Khambatta, PHD and Robby BarBaro, MPH, 2) "Reversing Diabetes" by Neal Barnard, MD, 3) "Fast Carbs, Slow Carbs" by David Kessler, MD 4) Plant Chompers YouTube channel, 5) Physicians Committee YouTube channel 6) Nutrition Made Simple YouTube channel.

I did do a deep dive into Keto books and YouTube channels including the Carnivore diet (KenDBerry MD YouTube channel) but found these not to be for me as I know that saturated fat is a killer. While this type of diet can help you lose weight it has some concerning long term consequences such as increased LDL cholesterol. This type of diet will also help to lower your serum glucose and hemoglobin A1C because it severely restricts carbohydrates, but it does not improve insulin sensitivity which is one of my goals.

I am doing a slow transition from the standard American diet (sad) to plant-based eating. I am keeping my diet low in fat. The other rules I set for myself are no eating after 7pm and a strict limit on "added sugars" of no more than 12 grams per day.

Anyone else eating this way or seriously considering a whole food plant-based diet?

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Good you have a plan of action and I hope you have success but I would do a little more research into saturated fat and LDL before you effectively use those as arguments not to consume animal products. Also not sure where yo got the idea that a keto diet doesn't improve insulin sensitivity. Cheers.
  • knotmel
    knotmel Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    There’s a group called “ Eating to Live (Whole Foods Plant Based)” that is fairly active and that might be of interest to you in finding people approaching their diet in a similar way.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,738 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Regarding increased insulin sensitivity, diet in general doesn't do a whole lot. Regular exercise and particularly resistance training have shone to have the biggest impact on insulin sensitivity. More plants is almost always a good idea but a plant based diet also tends to require greater nutritional knowledge than the average person has to meet nutritional requirements, particularly where protein is concerned.

Also keep an eye on your iron levels and you will need to supplement B12 as both of those nutrients are primarily provided by consumption of animal products. Plants do have iron, but the form of iron is not easily absorbed. Anemia is fairly common with vegan/plant based diets. Plants do not provide adequate levels of B12. I would also be a good idea to supplement Omega 3 as you will not be consuming any fish and plant based Omega 3 sources are lacking in EPA

Wise comments, and there's more beyond that about micros. Even as a long-term vegetarian, not entirely PB, I need to pay attention to these things. (I don't call myself WF, but a large fraction of my eating, the majority, is what most people would call whole foods, and a good amount of my protein comes from plants.)

A really good evidence based source for nutritional information on WFPB eating is this one:

https://veganhealth.org/

Its content comes from highly qualified registered dietitians who are experts on vegan/vegetarian diets. Unlike a lot of sites that are more about vegan advocacy (and therefore maybe not super meticulous about sharing where plant-based eating can fall short nutritionally), this is very "just the facts", honest and practical. They assume you know why you want to eat plant-based, so they aren't focused on a sales job, just on how-tos.
  • boberg1239
    boberg1239 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Wow thank you all for the great advice. I will keep researching and learning about plant based diet. Not sure if I will go 100% plant based or "Plant Forward" meaning animal foods will only be something I eat occasionally with a focus on fish, seafood, and lean meats when I do include animal products.
    neanderthin I have listened to several research scientist who discuss studies and their outcomes related to saturated fat (most people who do keto or carnivore eat a lot of saturated fat from animal proteins). I am not a research scientist but do understand a bit about studies and there a are lot of studies that have shown that, like trans fat, a diet heavy in saturated fat is unhealthy, especially cardiovascular wise. YouTube channels "Plant Chompers" and "Nutrition Made Simple" are both lead by research scientists and they do an excellent job of discussing the research and provide links so that you may read the information for yourself.
    knotmel I will check out that group. cwolfman13 thanks for the heads up about B12, I already am using nutritional yeast to help with that problem. Annpt77 thanks for the link, I will check it out.
  • AM_Canadian
    AM_Canadian Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Great decision! After being diagnosed with heart disease a few years ago I made the same decision with no regrets. Add to your follows Dr. Michael Gregor at nutritionfacts.org or on Instagram. You'll find summaries of the latest nutrition and disease research.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,735 Member
    Options
    Great decision! After being diagnosed with heart disease a few years ago I made the same decision with no regrets. Add to your follows Dr. Michael Gregor at nutritionfacts.org or on Instagram. You'll find summaries of the latest nutrition and disease research.

I completely agree, I love the WFPB lifestyle.
  • neanderthin
    edited August 2022
    Options
    boberg1239 wrote: »
    neanderthin I have listened to several research scientist who discuss studies and their outcomes related to saturated fat (most people who do keto or carnivore eat a lot of saturated fat from animal proteins). I am not a research scientist but do understand a bit about studies and there a are lot of studies that have shown that, like trans fat, a diet heavy in saturated fat is unhealthy, especially cardiovascular wise. YouTube channels "Plant Chompers" and "Nutrition Made Simple" are both lead by research scientists and they do an excellent job of discussing the research and provide links so that you may read the information for yourself.

I was going to ignore your response to me but I think it's important to have a better understanding when making dietary decisions and maybe someone will want to explore a little closer this misunderstood nutrient and I suggest that again, please do your own research

An increase in LDL cholesterol is the linchpin vital to the argument against saturated fat but without nuance or a better understanding, it just makes good headlines. First of all any foods that have any fat in them whatsoever whether plant or animal will always have a combination of saturated, monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats, so your going to be consuming saturated fat regardless. Avocado for example has more saturated fat than salmon gram for gram but this doesn't mean that avocado's will contribute to heart disease or kill us as you mentioned it will in your OP.

Yes, when we consume more saturated fat than we would normally it increases LDL cholesterol. LDL isn't actually cholesterol it's what is called a low density lipoprotein basically a container that carries cholesterol around the body to shore up any deficits required by the cells in our body. Lipoproteins also carry triglycerides, glucose, CoQ10, vit. E and a few other nutrients as well. Our cells, every cell in our body actually manufacturers it's own cholesterol and the liver will manufacturer new cholesterol even if we don't consume any cholesterol, like in a vegan diet for example.

The main reason saturated fat increases LDL is it's effect on the LDL cholesterol particle size. Basically it increases LDL-P (particle) size which shows up as an increase in ml in the blood (higher LDL). What the liver is doing because of the increase of saturated fat it's replacing what it was manufacturing up until that point which were lipoproteins with the additional glucose and triglycerides in them and because of this reduction in glucose and triglycerides from carbohydrates the more cholesterol available to be carried and is carried, making them bigger and more buoyant. Smaller sdLDL are more likely to induce inflammation in the endothelial lining of the blood vessels, which triggers the cascade of events that leads to plaque formation mostly because sdLDL have a propensity to oxidize. Larger particle size, not smaller has an inverse relationship with cardiovascular disease and what that can mean is even if a person has low LDL in their blood they can still have a lot of sdLDL which is found pretty much every time within the population that has diabetes and insulin resistance or consumes a diet high in highly processed carbohydrates for example which at the moment is the diet de jour in the US. The other effect that I think is very important is with increasing saturated fat when replacing carbs are triglycerides are reduced and HDL is increased. A diet that consumes more whole foods including carbohydrate whole food will offer a better LDL profile and when going plant based it's important to keep this in mind, imo. Anyone can ask for a complete blood panel to acquire this type of information, but I suggest you talk to a dietitian as opposed to a PCP.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21816443/

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22617560/

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34362390/

• sarah7591
    sarah7591 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    knotmel wrote: »
    There’s a group called “ Eating to Live (Whole Foods Plant Based)” that is fairly active and that might be of interest to you in finding people approaching their diet in a similar way.
    Is this group on MFP? I would love to join it. This is what I need. WFPB!

• boberg1239
    Options
    neanderthin I appreciate your information and I agree it is important to look at the research. I support any choices you have made that have led you, or anyone else, to eat a healthier diet than the standard american diet which has led to an epidemic of obesity and type 2 diabetes.

I do not believe that I am right and you are wrong just that my decision is working for me and I am beginning to see the results I desire. Most importantly, I feel comfortable with my choices and so far (10 weeks) they are easy for me to stick with. Sticking with it has always been the most difficult for me but something is different this time. I am not obsessing over food nor am I having to constantly fight "cravings." My choices may not be perfect and I am sure they will be modified over time as I gain more insight and information and, most importantly, as I see my numbers improve (weight, fasting glucose, hemoglobin A1C, cholesterols, triglycerides, waist circumference, blood pressure).

We have chosen different paths but are sharing the same journey of trying to optimize our health. I appreciate you.
  • neanderthin
    edited August 2022
    Options
    neanderthin I appreciate your information and I agree it is important to look at the research. I support any choices you have made that have led you, or anyone else, to eat a healthier diet than the standard american diet which has led to an epidemic of obesity and type 2 diabetes.

I do not believe that I am right and you are wrong just that my decision is working for me and I am beginning to see the results I desire. Most importantly, I feel comfortable with my choices and so far (10 weeks) they are easy for me to stick with. Sticking with it has always been the most difficult for me but something is different this time. I am not obsessing over food nor am I having to constantly fight "cravings." My choices may not be perfect and I am sure they will be modified over time as I gain more insight and information and, most importantly, as I see my numbers improve (weight, fasting glucose, hemoglobin A1C, cholesterols, triglycerides, waist circumference, blood pressure).

We have chosen different paths but are sharing the same journey of trying to optimize our health. I appreciate you.

When replacing highly refined foods with whole foods regardless of the content can/will have those effects and I hope you continue to have success. cheers.
  • yeungar
    yeungar Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    WFPB eating is the way to go- great decision. I’ve been eating this way for 3 years. I do eat fish occasionally, which adds another option for protein besides tofu and tempeh. I have also found that when I don’t track my food I can easily go over on calories, even eating WFPB. Good luck!!
  • boberg1239
    Options
    yeungar for my own peace of mind I am tracking my foods here. This is still very new to me and I did not trust that I could get the protein and other nutrients I needed and stay within my own weight loss calorie limit. So, I came back to myfitnesspal and began logging in my foods. This helps give me confidence that I am meeting my goals. I still occasionally crave something sweet....for now I grab a piece of fruit and usually that works. I am not hungry eating this way though and I do not have cravings every day. Once I have lost the weight I want to lose, I can think about some "plant based" baked items like cookies and such. I have purchased several plant based cookbooks and am looking forward to trying some of the recipes....one of my new favorite foods is tofu cooked in the air fryer to slightly crispy...who would have thought lol. Now I need to learn to season it better so it has more flavor.
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I eat WFPBNO for the same reasons. In the past year I have decreased my A1C to 5.7. I get routine blood work done and all my numbers are always on point. There are times that I am not 100% compliant but I try my best. I sent you a friend request.
  • boberg1239
    Options
    Update. I stopped doing plant based diet. I had my labs drawn after 2 months and they had not improved. I started looking more into Insulin and how it affects our bodies, specifically how insulin responds and acts after eating certain foods: carbohydrates, proteins, fats. Also how insulin signals to our bodies what to do with the calories. After much research into insulin...I have chosen to go with a diet that keeps insulin levels low meaning less carbohydrates ( I have decreased my carbohydrate intake to 25% of my diet which is about 100 gms/day for me and increased my intake of fats and proteins. I am also learning to include some intermittent fasting so that my body can use up the glucose stores and then start using the fat stores.
    Since I started this thread and have been absent from it...I just wanted to provide an update and an explanation of why I am not posting here.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Sorry to hear there's been no improvement. Were you looking to lose weight as well as lower your blood sugar, your posts don't indicate that, I believe, thanks.
  • boberg1239
    edited November 2022
    Options
    neanderthin yes I was hoping to improve my A1C and lose weight. I also thought that because I was not eating cholesterol foods (only plants) my cholesterol would improve. Neither value improved. I did loose weight but at the same time I started whole food plant based I implemented these 2 rules: 1) no eating after 7pm (probably saved me thousands of calories over the 2 months) plus I cut out all "added" sugars. Those two things alone probably were responsible for the majority of my weight loss (20 lbs). I also found that I had to constantly be thinking about what I was eating and really work to get in enough protein. After I got my labs back I went back to researching and after another month or two found Dr. Jason Fung, Dr. David Unwin, and Dr. Eric Westman who were all have good success putting type 2 diabetes into remission using a low carb diet. That is what I have chosen to do at this point, I am following Dr. Eric Westman's protocol from his book "End Your Carb Confusion." I slowly weaned down my carb intake and now am at 30 grams total carbs daily. I count total carbs and not net carbs.

I tried intermittent fasting (IF) for a while, did lots of 18 hour fasts and a couple of 24-hour fasts. I am
    not doing IF at this time because I tended to fall prey to letting myself get too hungry and overindulging, losing control, and totally blowing it at times. I may try IF again later in the process.
  • neanderthin
    edited November 2022
    Options
    neanderthin yes I was hoping to improve my A1C and lose weight. I also thought that because I was not eating cholesterol foods (only plants) my cholesterol would improve. Neither value improved. I did loose weight but at the same time I started whole food plant based I implemented these 2 rules: 1) no eating after 7pm (probably saved me thousands of calories over the 2 months) plus I cut out all "added" sugars. Those two things alone probably were responsible for the majority of my weight loss (20 lbs). I also found that I had to constantly be thinking about what I was eating and really work to get in enough protein. After I got my labs back I went back to researching and after another month or two found Dr. Jason Fung, Dr. David Unwin, and Dr. Eric Westman who were all have good success putting type 2 diabetes into remission using a low carb diet. That is what I have chosen to do at this point, I am following Dr. Eric Westman's protocol from his book "End Your Carb Confusion." I slowly weaned down my carb intake and now am at 30 grams total carbs daily. I count total carbs and not net carbs.

I tried intermittent fasting (IF) for a while, did lots of 18 hour fasts and a couple of 24-hour fasts. I am
    not doing IF at this time because I tended to fall prey to letting myself get too hungry and overindulging, losing control, and totally blowing it at times. I may try IF again later in the process.

Sorry to hear your A1C or your cholesterol didn't improve. I'm surprised your A1C didn't improve considering weight lose generally makes a person more insulin sensitive which generally lowers A1C but again A1C takes time to lower, more than most think. Cholesterol is well, totally misunderstood and lower really means nothing and it's more about what kind of LDL a person has as opposed to how much they have. Dietary cholesterol has no effect on our blood cholesterol markers and probably why you thought that if you didn't eat any cholesterol and went plant based that your LDL would improve, that's a mistake that's been taking place for 50 years, so don't beat yourself up.

The ketogenic approach is as radical as going full plant based for someone that has never done either, which lends itself to a greater possibility of failure so it's important to understand that whether you're in actual ketosis or not that that will not affect weight loss or fat loss and you shouldn't see that as a fail and beat yourself up over it, most people do.

As far as fasting goes, I'm not a fan generally speaking. Time restricted eating within a 24hr window where a person allows a minimum of 12 consecutive hours of not eating for repair and regeneration is enough for me, but if a person see's a benefit that helps them, then go for it. I'm low carb but not ketogenic, even though I've been in a ketogenic state while on my low carb diet, I don't need to be constantly in ketosis, nor do I believe we have to be either. Basically, be low carb and allow yourself to get off the sugars and reduce cravings and play it from there. Good luck this time around. Cheers.

• boberg1239
    Options
    neanderthin thank you for those kind words and support <3