Basal body temperature

Options
trindamartinwolfe
trindamartinwolfe Posts: 2 Member
edited November 2022 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi I've been reading about basal body temperature and how it impacts your metabolism. I'd like to start tracking for weight loss purposes. Has anyone tried this? If so, what are your tips for getting started? I can't find a free app for it, so I guess I need to track the old school way.

Replies

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    No, but I’m interested. Articles?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,921 Member
    Options
    The tracking or the estimates are included in the calculators for BMR. It would be like asking to track the thermic effect of individual foods (TEF), or tracking how much involuntary movement (NEAT) an individual does, basically it can't be done, even though these 2 factors do and can make a big difference on an individual basis and 2 good reasons that confound CICO but it's all just a numbers game and the bottom line is if you aren't losing weight, you're not in a deficit, period. Basically don't confuse yourself with such details when it's impossible to evaluate them properly.
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    I'm not quite sure what you would be trying to accomplish with this?

You are going to burn what you are going to burn, and tracking your temp isn't really going to help you with that estimate very well.

The best way to track what you burn is to carefully log what you consume, be consistent with your average activity over a long period of time, and then compare your intake to your weight outcomes over that time.

This will give you truly individualized data about how much you typically burn daily.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Like so many people looking for a magic potion, here today, gone today.
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I suppose you could track your body temp, but what does that accomplish in the long run? How do you propose to force your body temp to change? Or is that what you're asking? Kinda seems like you're focusing on the wrong thing though.
  • Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine it would make a significant enough difference to matter. You'd be talking, like, a dozen calories a day. Move your body a little bit more. You'll raise your temperature the old fashioned way, and burn more calories through actual exercise, rather than trying to manipulate it in ways that will have microscopic effect.
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I like data, and have a big ol' spreadsheet going for weight loss & health data. I would consider adding it just out of curiosity, but I wouldn't allow it to play a significant role in the weight loss journey.

Fun fact: When my normal body temp of 97.7 suddenly changed to 98.5 for several days in a row I realized I was pregnant! LOL