Snacks.....

Options
Hey everyone! I am needing some advice on some snacks that are good for you, but also will help me reach my calories. I am supposed to eat 2,000 plus (average between 1400-1800), but when I work out I have a deficit anywhere between 500-1000 plus what I was already missing from my calorie goal.. I am afraid that I am going to stop loosing weight if I don't get enough cals especially on the days I work out (4-5 days a week). Please help with some ideas....

Replies

• SwtKittN
    SwtKittN Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I love the 110 calorie thomas bagel things, I have those with the 35 cal laughing cow cheese on them :)

I also just had a sugar free Jell-O cup Dulce De Leche that was reaaaaaaaaaally yummy :D
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Low fat Popcorn, Low fat yogurt, cheese, hummus, egg whites with tons of veggies, Low carb low cal breads pitas and tortilla chips. :happy:
  • 4me2day
    4me2day Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I love raw veggies and hummus. the protein and fat in the hummus really satisfy and the veggies help with the chew, chew thing.
  • farrellb2
    Options
    Snyder's makes these awesome veggies sticks/crisps theyre suppose to be really healthy they're called "Eatsmart" veggie crisps or veggie sticks, they're like potato chips only better for you. Walmart(in certain areas only), Target, Kroger's, Whole food store...look on there website or call them before you go shopping for them
  • theradiantbride
    Options
    If you just need some extra calories, try adding healthy fats to your meals. Eating things like avacado and almonds or just adding a little olive oil can help you reach that calorie goal without being unhealthy. :)
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Flat bread with turkey ....rolled up in a roll....

Cottage cheese with dry sugar free jello mixed in.....sweet and yummy.....

Blue Bell fruit bars....70 calories ....strawberry, peach and lime.....

Mini rice cakes......could put Laughing Cow cheese on them...

Fruit...I'm loving the plum and nectarine season here.

A pita pocket full of veggies, tomatoes, cucumbers, onions etc with a touch of Ranch dressing.....
  • JIsh09
    JIsh09 Posts: 158
    Options
    Sugar free Jello
    Special K Snacks are awesome too.
    I also like the new 4 oz Yoplait yogurt..(cookies & cream,reeses,nestle crunch)
    Almonds
    Trail Mix
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Go for whole foods that pack a punch: nuts, cheese, yogurt (plain, not sweetened), oatmeal, etc. My favorite snack trick is to make up my own "Almost Cookies"...it's a pretty simple recipe base that you can add danged near anything to and they come out super yummy:

Base:
    Oatmeal
    Egg whites/eggbeaters/similar product

Some of my favorite Add-ins:
    raisins
    Truvia
    nuts
    fruit (apple and banana work well)
    choco nibs (unsweetened chocolate bits)
    protein powder

Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick stuff, heat oven to about 350f, bake for about 15 minutes or so (watch to make sure it doesn't burn). If you make your cookies "thin" they will be crisp (I use the base all by itself for pizza crust) and if they are thick they will be more cake-like...I've even poured the whole lot into a bread pan and made some "bread".

Good luck! And well done on eating your workout calories :)
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Plain Greek yogurt with cereal and fruit in it.

Hummus with rice crackers.

Laughing Cow cheese with rice crackers.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    If trying to overcome a calorie deficit, avoid any low fat, light and low calorie foods in your diet. You obviously don't need them, you need the calories from the regular versions. The light versions just replace fat with sugar and salt, for the most part.

Another way to easily add some extra calories is to add olive oil to salads, soups, casseroles, etc. to get some healthy fat.

For snacks:

Almonds and other nuts
    Cheese
    Hard boiled eggs
    Trail mix
    Peanut butter
    Avocados
  • smily_001
    smily_001 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!!! I really appreciate it.. I will give these a try.. The reason I am having a problem getting all the cals is because I'm not that hungry anymore.. Who would of thought.. :wink:
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Apples, oranges, bananas, and other fruits (unless you're diabetic).
    Nuts (almonds and walnuts especially).
    Baby carrots.
    I'm allergic to dairy, but greek yogurt is something a lot of people swear by.
    Also try combining a carb with a protein (like apples with peanut butter).