5'8" Ladies with results?

Options
I'm 5'8" and around 190 [maybe a little less] after giving birth to my daughter. My goal is to get to around 150. My dream is 145. I'm considered obese right now, and it's depressing but I'm trying my best to lose weight.

Replies

• MzFury
    MzFury Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" too. I'm a lot older than you, but have just come down about 7 pounds, from 193 to 185/186 (waffling right now) and am steadily getting fitter. First off, at our height and activity level, yes, we're overweight and considered obese, but we actually look good. I'm just saying. I have always had a waist and the curves around it, and it's all just getting tighter the more I eat right and exercise. I'd advise not to keep a number in mind - especially if you're medium-to-large framed (if your thumb and middle finger just touch when circling your opposite wrist, that's medium, if they don't touch, that's large) - you may settle at a healthy weight that's not what you have in mind. There are a lot of curvy, mid-framed women at 5'4" who are a healthy 140 - just for some perspective. Keep working but work to how your body's shaping up, not to a number on the scale.

My goal weight, BTW, is 160. If I get there and feel I'm still moving, I would go as low as 152. I think especially at my age I'd have to be an elite athlete to get skinnier than that, and don't know if I can healthfully reach that weight, anyhow...
  • mopovich
    mopovich Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 and went from 155 to 130. I realize 155 is not a bad weight but I have a small frame and was always an athlete. After back surgery and my dad's death, I gained the weight. It took eating (mostly) clean and working out 5-6 days a week but I lost it in about 3 months and have kept it off and gained muscle. I started running and doing 5ks and now I have a stress fracture in my femur so I'm having a hard time maintaining my success without cardio but I'm determined to make it work!!

Good luck to you!
  • Pucker508
    Pucker508 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8" but I don't know my frame. I'm guessing I have a medium frame... but regardless, I started on MFP at 157-158lbs and I currently weigh 144lbs. I'm feel quite comfortable at this weight (in my clothes, appearance, etc.); however, my goal is 135lbs because I think I'm the kind of person who needs to have "wiggle room." My weight loss has been consistent and not dramatic (about 1-2lbs a week) which is healthy. I workout about 4 days a week, and allow myself a "cheat" day (yes...I admit it...don't judge!) This is normally on Sundays and it isn't a crazy free-for-all, but I don't track my calories, and I allow myself a meal that I would normally eat throughout the rest of the week. Even doing this, I have been losing weight.

Good luck, and feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like!
  • boobookittyx
    Options
    I'm 5'8 with my uggs on in the winter! lol. I'm at 190 right now and 150 would be a dream for me! good luck !!!
  • lucylou9701
    Options
    I am 5'8 with a startweight of 220 current weight of 160 and goal weight of 140 or 135 :)
  • bluefever
    bluefever Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8" and I weighed in at 210 the day before my daughter was born. I lost all that weight (got down to 153) and then gained it almost all back for the next pregnacny. I am now at about 147ish. I have wide shoulders and hips and a muscular frame. My body likes this wieght. It takes a lot of effort to get any lower and maintain it.

This is about 5 weeks after my son was born. I think around 175-180lbs
    9432_249624695253_639570253_8769642_4013399_n.jpg

This is exactly 2 years later and 147lbs
    262420_10150754098285254_639570253_20421263_4602110_n.jpg
  • bluefever
    Options
    and clearly I don't know how to post photo's on here...

ETA-ha Ifigured it out!
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and started at 156. I'm down to 146 now and my goal is 142. Since I turned 40, I've had a harder time keeping weight off. I now have to count calories and that was a real eye opener, but we should all do that. I think we need to teach our kids how to do it; I don't know anyone who broaches this subject with kids. I think it should be taught in schools as well. Prior to a couple yrs ago, I had no idea how many calories I needed or the cal. count in foods. A little embarrassing.
  • bluefever
    Options
    Honestly, I think just teaching kids about healthy foods, the dangers of the bad stuff and encouraging an active lifestyle is the way to go with kids. My daughter just started kindergarten and sparks (prebrownies) they spend a lot of time teaching about these things.
  • MzFury
    MzFury Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    It's great to see the variety of response here, for me, too. You guys look strong and well - I'm encouraged to think I might set a new goal after I reach 160... But gotta get there first!
  • Oplesandbanonos
    Oplesandbanonos Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8, starting weight was 156, im at 146.5 right now ( i don't have new pics up, but my starting weight ones are on my profile)... i'm looking to get down to about 135 all together. i felt like a stick when i was in high school at 120, so i think 135 should do the trick to make me feel proportionate again.
  • O2Bslimagain
    O2Bslimagain Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8- will be 44 at the end of the month. I weighed 135 in high school- my lowest was in college at 117 lbs. skinny fat. Before babies came along I was 135 , but then went up to 150 lbs. then 160 then 170 then 180 lbs, which is where I am at now. It goes on just like that, but it seems to be harder and harder to lose it. I would be happy at 160 (fit and lean), but my goal weight is 155 by Christmas. Wish me luck!
  • jensensi
    Options
    Started trying to lose weight about 4 weeks ago. Start weight was 221. My initial goal is 180 as that will be the smallest I've been in my adult life. I'd be happy with a UK 12-14 ish I think.
  • theresamommyof4
    theresamommyof4 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and 188. I started out at 227, so I had a little farther to come :D I think you need to check your BMI again though. For 5'8", 196 is considered obese, at 190 you're just overweight, so you have that victory!
  • LimeyTart
    LimeyTart Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" - I was 202 when I started losing and 194 when I came to MFP in February. I'm 142 today. I think I want to get to 135, but somedays I'm not sure I need to go any further. We'll see, I guess.

My Success Story is in my signature :)
  • AMA983
    AMA983 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8", my highest weight this year that I recorded was 166 (this was sometime early summer), and I joined MFP August 3rd. I started MFP at 164, current weight is 153. I feel really good. It's funny though, when I look in the mirror, I don't notice a difference, but there is a big difference in my clothes, and obviously the scale is showing it! Skirts that I couldn't even zip up in April are fitting perfectly now, and some are even a little loose! My goal is 145, I'm hoping my body will let me get there now. In college, I estimate I weighed between 140-145 and I was in great shape.
  • Peanutmanda
    Options
    5' 8" also, My HW was 225. Today I am 157. I have a large frame so right now, I look pretty inshape in my cloths... Naked, is still a work in progress.:grumble: :noway: lol. My goal right now is to be under 145. After I get there, I think I will probably want to be more like 135...

I love seeing what other people my height are aiming for. :flowerforyou:
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and went down to 126 earlier this year (due to illness) and man did I look like crap. My high school weight was anywhere from 115 to 125. That weight was ok on me, being young, but not now for some reason. I'm back up to 146 and hoping to rest at 142. I went off this site for the summer and gained 8 lbs so I think the key is counting your calories and seeing it in black and white.
  • HisChild2011
    HisChild2011 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    We can do it! I'm 5'8" 190 as well! I'm down from 200 though :) Consistency will have to be my key! 145 is my goal...which is my high school weight. Lofty perhaps, but I gotta aim for the stars. We'll see what happens :) Only been using this for a couple of days but has been a big reality check. I love it. I need the constant accountability.
  • tristahenry
    Options
    I'm 5'8" currently at 153ish. At my lightest I was 115 (in HS/College) and I was always way to slender. When I put on weight I get very top heavy because of my broad shoulders, large chest and scrawny legs. My current goal is a fit 135ish... more important than the number on the scale is musle definition. Fitness and ability is super important to my goals but at the moment I'm down for an injury so I'm just trying to maintain/drop a few pounds slowly.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!