When did people notice that you lost weight that didn't know you were working on it?

GoRun2
GoRun2 Posts: 448 Member
So when did people notice that you were working on it?

For me, 20 pounds before a neighbor said something very nice. My close friends know because I askedfor their support. Hubby knows since I really need his support.

And you?

Replies

• Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    I lose in my face so everyone notices.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I lost 40 Lbs in 2012/2013 from 220 - 180. Once I went under 200 Lbs I started to lose a lot in my face so it was very noticeable. 190-180 is where I lost most of my midsection.
  • crsimmons1979
    crsimmons1979 Posts: 1 Member
    edited November 2022
    After about 15 pounds... my mother-in-law said something first a few weeks ago, and then a co-worker last week. I am halfway to my goal! :smile:
  • christyc1256
    christyc1256 Posts: 4,956 Member
    I had 50 to lose, people started commenting after I was about 15 pounds down.
  • Butt_Snorkeler
    Butt_Snorkeler Posts: 167 Member
    First month for me is weight loss and noticeable changes around midsection in tape measure.

2nd month is noticeable changes to the naked eye. Usually shirt size changes by 1 or 2 sizes. Pants size has dropped a few inches.

3rd month is, holy crap I look way more muscular and toned compared to when I started. Everyone notices easily. Can now squeeze into a shirt size normally considered too small like a smedium
  • JustRamona
    JustRamona Posts: 399 Member
    people didn't notice until i lost about 60 pounds. even the people who knew i was trying. It was everyone noticed one day and said...holy crap, you lost a lot o weight....but i attribute that to wearing smaller clothes that fit and not continuing to walk around in baggie clothes, cause the clothes i wore always had room in them so that they would cling to my stomach or *kitten*
  • keshaldra
    keshaldra Posts: 101 Member
    It takes around 20 pounds for people who see me regularly to notice, and around 30-35 for more "acquaintances".
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 725 Member
    I'm down 28 lb (of a total ~50 lb to lose) and not a single person has said a thing. That being said, I wouldn't really expect anyone to... might just be my personality, but they didn't say anything as I gained it, and don't know they should say anything as I lose it. What size I am isn't really a topic of conversation!
  • skinniesomeday
    skinniesomeday Posts: 13 Member
    well i have a ton of weight to lose. I have now lost 43 pounds and no one has noticed that doesnt know I m trying to lose. I need to lose over 100 pounds so I figure about 60 pounds or so they may notice. I did have someone comment on my glasses that I had for over 4 months ... so I figure they noticed something different about my face but couldnt put their finger on it ?? ha ha I can tell in my face and arms right now.
  • Mamabat13
    Mamabat13 Posts: 2 Member
    I'm at 29 down now, and 65ish more to go...so far one person (aside from my husband) has noticed.
  • JaysFan82
    JaysFan82 Posts: 852 Member
    I would say after around 60 pounds. I started at 388.6 and I'm 6"5 so it took a while before people noticed.
  • IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    I am a neighborhood regular. Like we walk our dogs every single day of the year, sometimes two or three times a day in our little neighborhood. At about 40 pounds down I had a couple random people running up to me saying “what are you doing? You’re doing great… blah, blah blah”. My direct neighbor would mention it every so often and he told me he lost a hundred pounds 4 years ago, before he had moved in and he has been very excited about my weight loss.

One time I had a man I had never seen before… person I did not know at all… come running out of his house when I was walking with my husband commenting on my body, how my legs had skimmed down, how “If you think nobody sees you and nobody noticed, you are wrong, we see you, we are rooting you on, you are doing great “ soooo creepy. I never stopped moving, kept on walking, he was jogging along to say all these things. My husband said “who the hell was that?” Like he thought I must know him. I did not walk past his house for a long time after that. I’m sure he was trying to be encouraging, but wow, wrong approach.

I don’t work and I don’t really have any friends so people in my neighborhood are the only people who have commented.

I’ve lost enough weight now that people don’t mention it anymore.
  • swimmchick87
    swimmchick87 Posts: 458 Member
    edited November 2022
    The last time I lost a significant amount of weight NOBODY said anything. It really got to me- I started second guessing that maybe I didn't actually look any different, etc. I wonder if they did notice, but felt it's no longer okay to comment on someone's body, even if making positive comments, or maybe they didn't want to say anything if they didn't know the weight loss was intentional, etc. but it really hurt my feelings. I'd gone from a tight size 18 to a 12-14. This was also during covid, so for example by the time I showed up back to work in person, I'd been at least 2 sizes bigger than the last time those people saw me. I let it get to me and I ended up gaining almost all of the weight back. Obviously, there were other factors, but this contributed to me feeling like it "doesn't even matter" and "I don't look any different, so may as well eat what I want" etc. At least this time I'm mentally prepared for the fact that it's very likely nobody will say anything and if I think I look better, and I feel better, that's all that matters.
  • BartBVanBockstaele
    BartBVanBockstaele Posts: 623 Member
    edited November 2022
    The last time I lost a significant amount of weight NOBODY said anything. It really got to me- I started second guessing that maybe I didn't actually look any different, etc. I wonder if they did notice, but felt it's no longer okay to comment on someone's body, even if making positive comments, or maybe they didn't want to say anything if they didn't know the weight loss was intentional, etc. but it really hurt my feelings. I'd gone from a tight size 18 to a 12-14. This was also during covid, so for example by the time I showed up back to work in person, I'd been at least 2 sizes bigger than the last time those people saw me. I let it get to me and I ended up gaining almost all of the weight back. Obviously, there were other factors, but this contributed to me feeling like it "doesn't even matter" and "I don't look any different, so may as well eat what I want" etc. At least this time I'm mentally prepared for the fact that it's very likely nobody will say anything and if I think I look better, and I feel better, that's all that matters.
    Not everyone scrutinises every person they meet. Just because people don't say anything, does not mean there is no difference. In my case, I was well aware of the difference thanks to the scale, but I only became really aware of how much I had changed once I managed to find a picture that was taken 10 years ago and compared it to a picture I took with my webcam. I was shocked. The difference is striking. Also consider this: you don't lose weight for others, you lose weight for yourself. No matter what other people say or don't say about your appearance, if you are overweight or obese, you *will* benefit from losing weight. Just make sure to consult with a doctor (a genuine MD) in order to protect yourself from unfortunate mistakes.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!