Water intake

Options
Hi, I’m looking for some tips and inspiration. I am seriously struggling to drink enough water and probably enough liquid in general. On a typical day I usually have 1 sometimes 2 cups of tea and 2-3 diet cokes. I occasionally have a 500ml bottle of water but even when I do, I rarely finish it. This is so unlike me. Before I had my daughter 4 months ago I drank at least 1500ml of water daily. With 2 children now life is hectic so cans of Coke are convenient and a wanted sugar rush in the afternoons.

Any tips to help me get back to drinking more water? I just don’t enjoy it now.

Also, do you find drinking more water helps with weight loss? I have lost almost 1 stone in about 6 weeks so it is not preventing me from losing weight but just wondering if it would help more.

Tagged:

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Every fluid counts, including tea, coke, fluids in food, etc. Thus that you only have a bit of water is not a problem.
    Some people think that filling up the stomach with water before eating helps against hunger. I don't think there is such an effect as fluid leaves the stomach quickly again. But for those for which it works it might help with weightloss. Otherwise fluids don't really make weight loss faster.

When I was in Boot Camp we were required to finish the two glasses of water we were given with each meal. We only had a short time to eat, and food was not available between meals. Feeling full from the water did make me eat less at the meals. Since snacking was not available (and I was getting a lot of exercise) I did drop about 25 pounds in 6 weeks.

These conditions might be difficult for a civilian to replicate, however :lol:

There have been two other times when either certain foods were just not available or my eating window was artificially restricted that I did lose weight effortlessly, but when I have full access to supermarkets and a kitchen and pantry I have to work harder at weight loss / be more disciplined about Calories In.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    These days I never drink water. I stay hydrated with lots of weak coffee and tea.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options
    What she said, ^^ with my additional two cents. . .

Those Cokes are 140 calories per can of sugar and caffeine. If you're adding sugar to the tea, that's more calories. If you have a lot of weight to lose then it might be okay for a while, but you have to consider that 300-600 calories of sugar per day isn't a good nutritional decision. I'm guessing you have a lot of weight to lose if you were able to drop a stone in six weeks.

As far as convincing you to drink water, that inner decision is yours.
  • delillolauren
    delillolauren Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have very low thirst drive so I very rarely drink plain water, The bulk of my liquid comes from coffee and crystal light packets or mio drops, which I log as they aren’t completely calorie free.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    When I did low carb dieting, drinking water was recommended as it helped with the constipation issue, plus the release of water from not having carbs. I got into the habit of leaving a glass in the bathroom and drinking some water every time I went to the bathroom. Of course, the more I drank the more I'd pee, which would cause me to get more water next time I went to the bathroom. I also drank something with every meal.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    IDK...my water bottle goes with me everywhere I go and that has been the case since I was about 12 or 13 years old and moved to the desert (I'm 48 now). Being dehydrated sucks.

Water in and of itself has nothing to do with weight loss...staying hydrated is a matter of good health. All fluids count...being properly hydrated is what is important. Hydration needs also vary considerably and are dependent on a lot of variables. For example, I live in the desert at over a mile high in elevation...the combination of the dry desert climate and elevation can quickly lead to dehydration...even more so in the summer months when it's also 100*+. I'm also a pretty active person. My hydration needs are going to be much different from someone living at sea level with higher levels of relative humidity and more moderate temperatures who is sedentary.

I don't really drink any specific amount of water or fluids per day...I drink when I'm thirsty and I check my hydration levels when I use the restroom. If I'm dehydrated and particularly if I'm very dehydrated I will force the issue and just drink more...otherwise if things are normal I just drink regularly when I'm thirsty.
  • lyns286
    lyns286 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Some interesting points to consider. I wouldn’t say I feel dehydrated so hopefully I am drinking enough fluids. I only drink Diet Coke which is 1 calorie per 330ml can and the caffeine isn’t high, but yes agree not the best nutritionally. I don’t add sugar to tea only a splash of semi skimmed milk, now it’s the winter months in cold and wet Scotland I will be drinking more tea to keep warm. But I log everything :)

@kshama2001 bootcamp sounds tough!!

@cmriverside I have about 20-25lbs left to lose, was 35lbs in total so wouldn’t say was a lot to lose.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    lyns286 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. Some interesting points to consider. I wouldn’t say I feel dehydrated so hopefully I am drinking enough fluids. I only drink Diet Coke which is 1 calorie per 330ml can and the caffeine isn’t high, but yes agree not the best nutritionally. I don’t add sugar to tea only a splash of semi skimmed milk, now it’s the winter months in cold and wet Scotland I will be drinking more tea to keep warm. But I log everything :)

@kshama2001 bootcamp sounds tough!!

@cmriverside I have about 20-25lbs left to lose, was 35lbs in total so wouldn’t say was a lot to lose.

Sounds like you're doing fine. Diet coke is nutritionally fine. It's not really different from water... as far as your body knows.
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I brought one of those bottles from Amazon. That have the times of the day down the side. It is helpful to be reminded to drink! Also when you feed your older child sit down at the table with her and give you both a cup of water. 4 months is a tricky age as the feeds will be out of sync with your older child’s meal times but give it 3 months and you’ll be weaning and sitting down together.

Every time I would do a feed for your 4 month old I would grab a glass of water too. 😊
  • lyns286
    Options
    I brought one of those bottles from Amazon. That have the times of the day down the side. It is helpful to be reminded to drink! Also when you feed your older child sit down at the table with her and give you both a cup of water. 4 months is a tricky age as the feeds will be out of sync with your older child’s meal times but give it 3 months and you’ll be weaning and sitting down together.

Every time I would do a feed for your 4 month old I would grab a glass of water too. 😊

Great idea, thank you! I’m going to try this today.
  • ghrmj
    ghrmj Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Are you nursing your baby? Because if so then you definitely need more water. When I was nursing my babies I used to have a big glass of water with each feeding. Now that I am many years past that I have a glass of water fist thing in the morning and last thing at night to make sure I get enough. I am also not a fan of plain water so I will sometimes drink 1 oz of cranberry cocktail topped with 8-10 oz of water (or sparkling water).
  • lyns286
    Options
    ghrmj wrote: »
    Are you nursing your baby? Because if so then you definitely need more water. When I was nursing my babies I used to have a big glass of water with each feeding. Now that I am many years past that I have a glass of water fist thing in the morning and last thing at night to make sure I get enough. I am also not a fan of plain water so I will sometimes drink 1 oz of cranberry cocktail topped with 8-10 oz of water (or sparkling water).

No she is formula fed. I like the idea of trying to drink a glass in morning and evening to top up. Not sure I could do last thing before bed or I’d be up through the night 😆 Thanks for tip!!
  • jyoti_0
    jyoti_0 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I keep my coffee mug filled with water next to my sitting place. And I keep sipping from it (not drinking, just taking sips), keep refilling it and easily consume 8-10 cups through the day.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Not feeling thirsty isn't necessarily an indication that you are not dehydrated (unless that's not what you mean when you say you don't 'feel' dehydrated). For example, I often don't know that I am dehydrated until I try to go for a long run and realize that my energy level is way low. Then I'll think about my hydration over the past couple/few days and notice my urine color and determine --- nope, wasn't hydrated.

I think it's helpful to use something like Crystal Light (or some other water flavoring powder/liquid) to help increase the likelihood that you drink water. Your coffee, tea, and coke are also 'water'. It's a myth that those things are dehydrating to a significant degree. You should definitely be trying to incorporate more regular water but you are still drinking beverages that are mostly water.

I also tend to get sparkling flavored water (I like the Waterloo brand just bc it has actual fruit juice in it)...and I have a big 32oz plastic mug (from an Oktoberfest) that I will fill with one can of that, the rest regular water and Crystal Light liquid squeeze stuff. Tastes great, a bit fizzy...and I also use Nuun tablets to help with electrolytes as well when I'm feeling particularly dehydrated.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Herbal tea? I really like green tea, lots of different ones to try.
    Might be worth getting a nice thermal mug with a lid, little ones can't pull it down on themselves and still be hot if you forget about it for a while.

I would suggest squash instead of cola, or a bottle of water with a chunk of lemon or lime in it that's been kept in the fridge, or freeze slices so they thaw in the water is nice.
  • RichGS23
    RichGS23 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have a water app that reminds me to drink every hour, it really helps keeping me topped up and drinking a sufficient amount. Tea and coffee's are not suitable replacements for water, only water is. I consume black coffee during the day to help stop fat cells building up and to fire me up before the gym, but you should always flush through with water. You don't have to be a strict with water intake as you may with calorie intake, it's a little more forgiving, but you do need it nonetheless.
  • mikhnpaitsmum
    mikhnpaitsmum Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I like my water flavored, fizzy or both. I got a second hand soda stream and use it. Fizzy water plain, or with the water flavoring stuff that's zero calories. Works well for me and gives me the feeling of drinking pop.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,409 Member
    Options
    RichGS23 wrote: »
    I have a water app that reminds me to drink every hour, it really helps keeping me topped up and drinking a sufficient amount. Tea and coffee's are not suitable replacements for water, only water is. I consume black coffee during the day to help stop fat cells building up and to fire me up before the gym, but you should always flush through with water. You don't have to be a strict with water intake as you may with calorie intake, it's a little more forgiving, but you do need it nonetheless.

Bro. No. :lol:

Who told you that?!? Don't listen to them!

...especially that part about the fat cells. That's just some wizardry, right there. If only.

Exactly! And so does all fluid in food.
    RichGS23 wrote: »

Bro. No. :lol:

Who told you that?!? Don't listen to them!

...especially that part about the fat cells. That's just some wizardry, right there. If only.

Exactly, and so does fluid in food. Fruit and veg are full of water. If you cook pasta or rice it absorbs water, lots of other things as well, and it all counts. As long as TOs urine is clear and light they get enough water.