Apparently I am not eating enough: Food suggestions?

Options
Hey guys. :)

I did just fine for a while, went from 167 to 133 or so but I've seemed to have plateaued. I really don't need to lose that much more, it's more about lowering the percentage of body fat (which is all in my belly now, looks like!).

I realized that I consistently go under my calorie goal of 1,200 (though with exercise it's usually at 1,600-1,700) and I've started trying to eat a bit more but the only thing I notice happening is I am gaining weight back! I'm at 136 right now.

Granted, I am having trouble finding ways to beef up my calories as I don't cook - the only time I get cooked food is when the boyfriend is home to make it - so I have two problems here:

1. Should I really be trying to eat *more* to lose weight/fat, especially when I immediately gain weight when I do? Will it stop?

2. If yes, do you have any healthy suggestions for foods I can fill up calories with?

I eat avacado, almond butter/milk and a lot of fruit trying to fill out my diet.

Thanks for any help!

Edit: typos

Replies

• bjenny12345
    bjenny12345 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Two words: Nutella & Spoon!
  • dez_yaoichan
    Options
    seems like you just need to tone. try 30DS or Ripped in 30 to see if that helps with your remaining problem areas
  • marcibar
    Options
    How about nuts? Or Salmon? Both have higher fat, but healthier fatty options. If you don't get enough calories then your body will store excess fat thinking it is starving. Hope this helps!
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    when i got close to goal i stopped eating back all my exercise calories... i rarely go over 1400 intake (what my goal is). i do every once in awhile but not often... check out my diary if you want.

if you want things that take up calories, try milk or chocolate milk. some days i get to like 1000 intake and don't want to eat (i tend to lose my appetite after working out, idk why) but i'll drink a biiiiig glass of chocolate milk to get calories in me :)
  • abby459
    abby459 Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Upping my calories got my past my plateau....try adding peanut butter to apples or toast or even a protien shake!
  • emily773
    Options
    Hi lady! Have you tried stepping up your strength training? The most success I have had is when I am lifting a lot. Maybe it will make you hungrier, too, if you lift more?
    Good luck!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Feel free to check out my diary. I eat a ton. 3 eggs cooked in oil for breakfast (usually, nothing today though). Lots of snacks, big lunches, big servings of meat for dinner. Real butter, cheese, sugar, glasses of skim milk, fruit, steak, etc. I swear it isn't hard.
  • sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I clicked through your diary, didn't scrutinize, mostly looked at your net calories. You need to at least hit 1200 calories and I would suggest trying to get a little closer to eating back all your exercise calories (not to start that argument again...). You'll find varying opinions on eating back calories, blah blah blah. I found that I need to. When I don't, I blow up and gain weight because I go into starvation mode.

My suggestion is to add another snack or two to your day. Not sure when you're eating your snacks, but my favorites are mid-afternoon and after dinner snack. :smile: You might look at granola bars or some bar type foods. They make good quick any easy snacks. You can search the forum for snack ideas. It's a regular topic.

I would also suggest more water. You don't have your sodium listed, but if I even get close to hitting my sodium for the day I bloat and my body holds on to water. I've started drinking 16 cups a day instead of 8.
  • mark03264
    mark03264 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    This does not really answer your question but Is your exercise mainly cardio based? It sounds like part of the problem may be that you need to add more muscle mass.
  • PixelTreason
    PixelTreason Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    seems like you just need to tone. try 30DS or Ripped in 30 to see if that helps with your remaining problem areas

I'm on level 2 of 30DS right now. :)
  • PixelTreason
    PixelTreason Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    This does not really answer your question but Is your exercise mainly cardio based? It sounds like part of the problem may be that you need to add more muscle mass.

I am doing 30DS in the morning and 30 minutes of elliptical at night.

I would like to add muscle mass, actually. I'm not one of those women afraid of it!

I can't join a gym though but 30 Day Shred is probably helping a bit and after I am done with it I can probably YouTube ways to strength train without a gym membership.
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Hey guys. :)

I did just fine for a while, went from 167 to 133 or so but I've seemed to have plateaued. I really don't need to lose that much more, it's more about lowering the percentage of body fat (which is all in my belly now, looks like!).

I realized that I consistently go under my calorie goal of 1,200 (though with exercise it's usually at 1,600-1,700) and I've started trying to eat a bit more but the only thing I notice happening is I am gaining weight back! I'm at 136 right now.

Granted, I am having trouble finding ways to beef up my calories as I don't cook - the only time I get cooked food is when the boyfriend is home to make it - so I have two problems here:
    Start cooking. If it's really a problem - what's stopping you? Get in the kitchen. If you don't want to make the change, then just be happy with where you are...
    1. Should I really be trying to eat *more* to lose weight/fat, especially when I immediately gain weight when I do? Will it stop?
    Yes and yes. You don't gain weight immediately - you're just eating so your body has food in it. You may gain some initial water weight but it will disappear within a day or two.
    2. If yes, do you have any healthy suggestions for foods I can fill up calories with?

I eat avacado, almond butter/milk and a lot of fruit trying to fill out my diet.
    Sounds like you've got a good start. Clean unprocessed grains, fruits & veg, yogurt, cottage cheese, nuts, lean protein, eggs, etc

If you want some suggestions, check out my diary. I just started logging again. Good luck.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    The scale has recently began to drop for me.. this is what I changed:
    i started working out twice a day - I'm in a challenge to burn 3500 calories a week
    I also started strength training 1 to 2 days a week
    I set my goal to lose .5 lb a week, rather than 1 - So I guess you could say I increased my calories to 1500 instead of trying to be near 1200.
    and I STOPPED eating my exercise calories back!

Now the weight is falling quick!