Butternut Squash Gratin! Perfect Fall Meal!

Options
So, butternut squash is in season so I bought a couple pounds and had no idea what to do with it. I found this recipe on the Good Housekeeping and it was absolutely delicious!! It says 6 servings, but I counted it as 4 servings since I used it as a main dish.

Here is the recipe

1/2 teaspoon(s) salt, divided
1 (2- to 2 1/2-pound) butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch half-moons (I cut them into chunks instead)
1/4 cup(s) lower-sodium chicken broth (I used fat free chicken broth)
1 tablespoon(s) margarine or butter, cut up (I used I can't believe its not butter fat free)
1/2 cup(s) panko (Japanese-style bread crumbs)
1 1/2 ounce(s) Parmesan cheese, grated (1/2 cup)
1 tablespoon(s) olive oil
1 teaspoon(s) fresh thyme leaves, chopped, plus sprigs for garnish
1/4 teaspoon(s) crushed red pepper

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease 2-quart shallow baking dish.

2. Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon salt all over squash. In prepared baking dish, arrange squash in overlapping layers (since I used chunks, I just threw them in the baking dish); pour broth into dish. Dot squash with the butter or margarine. Cover tightly with foil and bake 35 minutes, or until a knife pierces through squash with only slight resistance.

3. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine panko, Parmesan, oil, thyme, red pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon salt until well mixed.

4. Uncover squash and sprinkle evenly with panko mixture. Bake, uncovered, 12 to 15 minutes or until crumbs are golden brown. Garnish with thyme sprigs.

Nutritional Facts (with the changes I made and changing it to 4 servings)

Calories: 241
Carbs: 39 grams
Fat: 8 grams
Sat. Fat: 3 grams
Fiber: 6 grams
Protein: 8 grams

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/recipefinder/butternut-squash-gratin-recipe-ghk0111

Replies

• freshstart4me
    Options
    my veggie girl gave me this recipe and i made it over hte weekend .. CRIPES it was soooo fabulou!
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I just discovered butternut squash and it is yummy. Gotta try this recipe. Thanks
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    This sounds awesome. Thanks!
  • haldeman5
    haldeman5 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Can't wait to try it! Thanks:-)
  • kiwinermal
    Options
    Yum, I just bookmarked the recipe. Thanks so much!
  • webdiva1
    webdiva1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I'm so in for this one. Than ks for sharing!
  • abby459
    abby459 Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    bump....I will be making this soon!
  • timshel
    Options
    Love this, thank you.

May I also recommend this Barley and Butternut Squash recipe from Slimming World: I had it tonight for dinner and it was awesome. Comforting, autumnal warmth, lovely.

http://slimmingworld.com/recipes/barley-and-butternut-squash-hot-pot.aspx

57g/2oz pearl barley
    2 carrots, cut into thick slices
    2 garlic cloves, crushed
    1 bouquet garni (bay leaf, thyme and parsley)
    1 litre/1¾pt stock
    794g/1lb 12oz butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into bite-sized pieces
    salt and freshly ground black pepper
    chopped thyme leave, to garnish

1. Place the barley in a large saucepan, cover with water and bring to the boil. Cook for 45 minutes or until tender. Drain and return to the saucepan with the carrots, garlic, bouquet garni and stock. Bring to the boil, cover, reduce the heat to medium and simmer gently for 15-20 minutes.

2. Add the butternut squash and continue to cook gently for 10-15 minutes.
    Season well, discard the bouquet garni and serve immediately, garnished
    with chopped thyme leaves.
  • jbond80
    jbond80 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Bump, sounds delish! Can't wait to give this a try. :smile: