Rybelsus

Options
Hey Fitness Fam,
Have any of you been put on Rybelsus before and has it helped you with weight loss?

Replies

• californiagirl1969
    californiagirl1969 Posts: 50 Member
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Was taking rybelsus for my diabetes, it Helped.with some of my weight loss because it helped me not feel as hungry, but once I developed nodules on my thyroid was taken off rybelsus. Can be a hazard for anyone with any thyroid issue or disease. Had a biopsy for my thyroid and I'm fine this far, but no more rybelsus for me. I was losing weight before I started rybelsus and will continue after rybelsus.

You can do this.😊
  • Lori11223344
    Lori11223344 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Rybelsus is the brand name for oral semaglutide tablets used to treat type 2 diabetes.

In Canada, and many other countries, including the USA, injectable semaglutide (brand names Wegovy and Ozempic) is approved as a primary treatment for weight loss in those with obesity and weight related medical conditions, but who do not have diabetes. It is effective, but you still have to do the sensible things like portion and calorie control, and exercise, to maintain your loss.
    However, the oral tablet form called Rybelsus has not yet been approved for weight loss. So far, the research in people with diabetes has shown a modest effect on weight, like 2-3% loss, whereas the injectable form shows much more profound results, like 10-15% losses.

I took Ozempic last year and lost over 10% of my body weight before I had to stop it for reasons unrelated to the medication itself. The most profound effect I found was that I was no longer tortured 24/7 with ravenous hunger while taking the medication. I have kept that weight off for 11 months now, and the 24/7 ravenous hunger has not returned. I previously failed on MFP on 2 previous 3-4 month trials in the last decade, and had actually gained weight while following the MFP recommendations during those trials. I started MFP again about 7 weeks ago, without the semaglutide medication, and am having success.

When I mention my success with medication on these forums, I have gotten a lot of negative feedback from people, so be prepared.

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/fda-approves-new-drug-treatment-chronic-weight-management-first-2014
  • Elsie_Walker
    Elsie_Walker Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi ya'all. I just started (day 3) and on 3 mg starter dose for 1 month. It seems to curb my desire to eat so much. My concern is that the doc says this is just to jump start me for healthier eating and I am concerned about what happens if I come off it.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Hi ya'all. I just started (day 3) and on 3 mg starter dose for 1 month. It seems to curb my desire to eat so much. My concern is that the doc says this is just to jump start me for healthier eating and I am concerned about what happens if I come off it.

You're right to be concerned. Most people will regain the weight if they stop medication without having learned about food , calories, and portion sizes. Use this time to learn about portion sizes and high and low calorie foods.
  • EdmontonBarb
    EdmontonBarb Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have been on Ozempic since Nov. 2022 and it has really helped me to lose a lot of weight so far. However, in my experience, it won't work for everyone because I am frequently nauseous and I actually vomit once or twice a week. For me, that's how it works. I feel nauseous and therefore, I don't want to eat. I had to lose a lot of weight in order to get hip replacement surgery. It worked. I lost 140 lbs. and I got my new hip last October. I was in severe, chronic pain for over 4 years with a broken hip. However, despite my obvious need for a new hip, no orthopedic surgeon was willing to do the surgery due to the high risk of post-surgical infection due to obesity. I finally found a surgeon who agreed to give me a new hip if I got down to 199 lbs. I was actually at 169 lbs. by the time I had the surgery. However, I agree with other posters that I will likely have to remain on Ozempic or something similar for the rest of my life because if I stop taking it, the weight will return. This drug is not covered for weight loss where I live so I have to pay $252.12 each month to get it, but it has obviously been well worth it. When people ask me how I lost so much weight, I credit pain, fear of losing my independent living situation and having to enter long-term care at only 62, and Ozempic. This is just my experience, and it wouldn't work for everyone.