Help with keeping weight off

Options
Hey guys! I am having trouble with keeping weight off. I can stay on a diet for a week until I slip and eat something like candy and chocolate. Any tips to help me? Please help.

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of us who have lost weight and kept it off still enjoy treats like chocolate and ice cream. I certainly do. It is easier if you are active and do a lot of exercise since you have more calories to play with. I log what I eat and the exercise I do, so I know when I can eat dessert and when I need to say no. I have no forbidden foods, just ones I eat more often and ones I eat less often. I find it easier to be disciplined most of the time knowing that if I don't eat a certain treat today, I can do it tomorrow or next week if I really want it.
  • Mardo2044
    Mardo2044 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Don't buy the things that tempt you so they are not easy to get. ex. You would have to go to the store to get the candy bar. If you desire a treat and planned it out calorie wise, then go for it. But, if you are still "white knuckling it" then keep the pantry filled with easy to grab healthier alternatives. My current deal with myself is I have a box of 90 calories Kind minis Dark Chocolate Nuts & seasalt bar. There is 10 in a box. I do not allow myself to buy another box until the 10 days is up. I also account for it in my calorie count. So, if I over indulge and eat 3 in one day, then I have to wait to get a new box. It has worked for me to reset the idea of treats and snacking. I can treat myself, I can even do it every day but in moderation.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    So when you are counting calories you don't allow yourself any candy or chocolate? That's where your thinking is wrong. I eat 15 grams of pretzels with 15 grams of semi sweet chocolate chips EVERY DAY. I also leave room for some Halo Top ice cream many nights or a mini kit kat. Work it into your calorie count, then it's not a "failure."
  • ChickenKillerPuppy
    ChickenKillerPuppy Posts: 297 Member
    edited November 2022
    Options
    You are answering your own question - you need to find a way of eating that INCLUDES candy and chocolate! The beauty of CICO (assuming you are counting calories) is that there are no “good” and “bad” foods - just staying within your calorie range. To lose weight you need to slowly change your habits to eat in a way that is sustainable. Sustainable means including foods you like! You want to stick with this - not feel deprived. I eat dessert every day. I look forward to it. But I stay in my calorie range. Get rid of the antiquated notion of a “diet” and think of ways to tweak your current life to eat less while still enjoying your life.
  • EiadKneifati
    EiadKneifati Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree with above posts. I did the mistake you did and went cold Turkey on the sweets. Once I had a piece of candy, chocolate or any type of sweets, my craving would go into overdrive and I ended up binge eating. I think moderation is key and don’t deprive yourself of anything. This binge eating occurred when I tried keto and then later found out my “bad” cholesterol levels were elevated and once I got off the keto my weight and appetite skyrocketed. Im back now, at it again, losing weight the natural way.