Gastric Bypass

Options
2»

Replies

• debbielou93722
    Options
    I would recommend finding clothes at Goodwill. After my surgery I was losing weight quickly and it was too expensive to buy clothes at a regular store just to throw them out in 2-3 weeks. Goodwill was a budget saver and you can find clothes still with tags on them.
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    I wish I went the goodwill route...but each time I just spent money at the other stores. Going from sizes like 4xl to M/L can cost you some money lol
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Wow...I'm sorry but if you're losing hair, doesn't that raise a few red flags? 800 cals a day? Yikes. How can this even be legal? I always thought the surgery route was questionable, but didn't think it was that bad. :huh:

No thanks. I'll personally do it the right way.

And Fieldsy, just reading your journal, seems you're returning to some old habits that got you to a bad place to begin with. I hope not for your health. Take care buddy.
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    800 a day is way too low for someone to eat a day...right after surgery I can see, but then you have to start eating a good amount. This is why the surgery is real tricky.

RVachon...that journal is a little outdated, but yes....I will always drink alcohol...but just have to ease up a little more to reach my goals. Right now I have been around 200lbs forever it seems and its that I am drinking too much. (2 good drinking nights a week).
  • debbielou93722
    Options
    Wow... 800 that doesn't sound right. I was told to eat at least 6oz at each meal (3x's a day) and to have at least 2 snacks per day. I wasn't eating enought and kept getting light head and passing out. It was really scary.

Surgery was the best option for me... I tried everything under the rainbow to lose weight with no success. My doctor tried for 7 years to talk me into doing the surgery but I wouldn't do it unless I had no other choice. I was diagnosed with a rare disorder and unless I reduced my weight I would not be able to control my illness. I kept losing my eyesight, I had ringing in my head 24/7 and headaches 24/7 (more severe then migranes). I was on Diamox for 7 years and the maximum lenght of time to take it is 6 months or it can damage your kidneys. So, I finally gave in a had the gastric bypass. It was the best choice I ever made. All the systems I described about my illness is gone. I woke up one morning about 3 weeks after my surgery and it was totally quite. It was AMAZING! A couple of days later the headaches were gone and my eyes went back to 20/20 vision.

Surgery is not for everyone. The best thing to do is get all the facts and then decide. And for everyone who can do it without surgery BRAVO!
  • debbielou93722
    Options
    I have really thick hair and I lost about 1/2 of it. I bought alot of bandanas just in case I lost it all. I wore one to work and my bossed laughed at me. My hair is back to it's fullness again. Take your vitamins and try not to use to many chemicals on it.
  • NjTex
    NjTex Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am at a total of 120 lbs loss and the hair loss is not bad now. With this program I was able to monitor my protein much better. I still eat between 800-1000 calories a day and exercise 6 times a week. For the guy to say I have slipped into old habits is wrong. Who are you to say that anyhow. You don't me or my habits. I am healthier now than ever. I am 9 months out, 145 lbs pounds, exercise 6 times a week or more. I don't see that my habits are slipping at all. I am 47 years old and just did my first 1/2 marathon...
  • DaviDaSilva
    DaviDaSilva Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had my Bypass surgery 3 weeks ago and I've lost 30kg so far.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    This is a 13 year old post🤷🏼‍♀️
  • brandyjaques7594
    Options
    I had my initial roux -en-y surgery in late 2009, right at the holidays. It was great, I started at 273 lbs and lost over 100 lbs within a year. I hit my goal of 160 pounds easily, having some minor plateaus here and there. I watched my goal weight come and go. I kept losing, I just couldn’t stop. I only had dumping once, and boy when I had it I then knew what it was! It was like near a year post op, and I was just craving a hot dog. So I had one. You know, the kind you can get at a convenience store. Within 10 minutes I was back at that same store, locked in a stall, relieving from both ends, literally unable to walk, talk, or even hold my head up! I was like that for almost an hour, they were to the point they were going to call The hospital to come get me.
    Anyways back to the main story, sorry. I lost so much weight, I became malnourished, I couldn’t keep anything down, hardly even water most days. Sometimes a bite or two of soup but definitely not any of my vitamins or anything. I was getting vitamin infusions 1-2 times a week. But I never realized how sick I was. I truly didn’t. You know how people just look at you when you lose that much weight that fast and ask how.. how did you do it? Like if you’ve done something wrong? It began to be more of the asking “if your ok because you’ve lost so much weight so fast” questions, like your so sick it must be something very bad type questions. Well apparently it was because when my husband finally convinced me to go see a surgeon for a follow up this Dr that I had never seen before in my life walked into the room I was in, took one look at me and said “ you are actively dying right in front of my eyes! Needless to say I had a full roux- en-y reversal within 2 days. That was in 2012. I weighed 103 lbs. I am a large framed person and should weigh about 155-160 pounds.

Ok, so I have struggled with my weight up, and down over the years since then, right now it is up higher than it’s ever been since then, hence why I am dieting. I am currently 213 pounds. I am struggling with that right now, I believe a lot is related to the change of life, but I haven’t Ben near this weight in the last 10 years. If I got heavy, I would lose weight, if I got too small, I would put more weight on.

Throughout it all, I have always said, and still say, I would do it all again. I learned so much about portions, food urges, nutrition, and just what protein can do for your body, or lack of it can do also. If you want to lose weight, most importantly, drink water, and when you think you have drank enough, drink more! Lol. Log everything you put into your mouth, and when you plateau or slip, start logging again, you will be surprised.
    Most importantly don’t give up, keep trying! Be happy with who you are!