best vegan protein powder

Options
Basically what the title says :D I've been going through some health issues for the last 2 yrs and lost muscle mass. My blood work came back with some markers and my PCP needs me to up my daily protein intake- I try to get it through food like eggs, beans, meat 3-4x a week, jerky, etc but clearly it's not enough.

I'm looking for good tasting powder I can add to almond or oat milk, oatmeal, hot chocolate, whatever... It can't be chalky or I know I won't drink it. I don't like drinking my calories to begin with (so no smoothies, shakes, etc) so I'm struggling a bit here. Now that I feel functional again I will also be upping my weight lifting and general exercise to try to rebuild muscle mass. Unfortunately, my weight has increased but my muscle mass has decreased.

Replies

• xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    If you live in the U.K. then try Raw Sport! Absolutely delicious and blends really nicely!
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Nope, I'm in the US which is sad because another UK friend recommended one that she says is awesome and they don't ship here.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    edited November 2022
    Options
    If this is about your health and you eat eggs and other animal protein then I would suggest whey protein. Sounds like your going to need higher quality protein and plant based are not considered high quality.

If your gaining weight and losing muscle at the same time, which I'm not quite sure how that happens in the first place, then a focus on quality protein is rather important.
  • czmiles926
    czmiles926 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    If this is about your health and you eat eggs and other animal protein then I would suggest whey protein. Sounds like your going to need higher quality protein and plant based are not considered high quality.

If your gaining weight and losing muscle at the same time, which I'm not quite sure how that happens in the first place, then a focus on quality protein is rather important.

Seeing as OP mentioned oat milk, it would imply that they don't consume dairy.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    edited November 2022
    Options
    czmiles926 wrote: »

Seeing as OP mentioned oat milk, it would imply that they don't consume dairy.

Yeah, I picked up on that and I agree with you that that's probably the case. There's egg protein and for plant protein there's soy and BCAA's and of course supplement with leucine and lysine for example.
  • Ghostofachance
    Ghostofachance Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I've used the vegan chocolate and vanilla powders from Orgain and been happy with the results. I didn't think they were chalky and liked the taste.
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    SuzanneC1l9zz Posts: 452 Member
    edited November 2022
    Options
    I use Leanfit, but it's a Canadian product so not sure if you'll be able to get it in the US. I like their protein & greens one.
  • nay0m3
    nay0m3 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Truvani is expensive but delicious and clean and I don't find it chalky!
  • tuckahoe88
    tuckahoe88 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I like Vega and have used it for many years. Vega is a Canadian company, but readily available in the U.S. I like their Protein & Greens variety, in particular.
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I have seen Vega and Orgain but it's good to get some reviews on them! I bought some Ripple protein shake the other day since it was at Target and it's not bad... better when mixed with oat milk to thin it out. It does have quite a bit of sugar though so I'll check out the other two and see if they're better for mixing into things.

I can and do eat meat and dairy though I don't like them very much and was essentially vegetarian for a long time. The gaining weight and losing muscle was because I was nearly bedridden for almost 2 yrs and eating only what I could tolerate and in higher amounts than I should have. My health is 95% improved and now I need to get everything else in order to keep it that way.
  • Mrsrobinsoncl
    Mrsrobinsoncl Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I love the Vega protein and greens, it mixes up well and tastes good.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,715 Member
    Options
    Sunwarrior, Truvani, ZHou nutrition plant protein, Ladder. NOW pea protein, Natural Zing proteins- Sunflower, Hemp ,Pea