Should I work out less? Frustrated with calories

Options
I should first say I am 5 pounds away from my goal weight. I went from 230 ish to 175 in just under 2 years (Im a slow learner:ohwell: ) and looking forward to getting to 170 and maintaining.

BUT right now, I dont know what to do. I have been having a really difficult time eating enough calories. (NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD SAY THAT, LET ALONE MEAN IT! :noway: ) I have been below my 1200 net for weeks now. The last time I was over 1200 net was Sept 4th & I had 1200 exactly on Sept. 9. In the beginning, it wasnt a problem, but now I am feeling tired, having trouble making it through my tougher group classes and just lacking energy. I am still losing (2.5 last week) but I KNOW its catching up with me, and even if it isnt on the scale, I dont like feeling weak in my classes.

You can look at my diary and see, I am eating. I am not starving myself at all. In fact, I kinda eat when I want, what I want...and I do not want for any foods. (In fact, some of you may say I dont eat well enough.)

My question is, besides adding things like almonds and more calorie dense, but healthy items, should I cut my workouts back?

My usual schedule looks like this: (all group classes at my gym--most high intesity).

M--Abs Class (30 mins) & Step II
T--Spin & Pilates
W--Step with weight intervals, Zumba, & TurboJam
R--Spin & Pilates (some Thurs. I cant make Spin so I do Pilates and Zumba)
F--Rest Day
Sa--Rotating Cardio class & Zumba
Su--Rest Day

Suggestions on my exercise??? Would you keep it up and just give it a better effort to eat more calories?? Would you drop something?? Im most nervous that if I drop a class, Ill start gaining back.

Replies

• JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Yep. If you can't meet the goal, and your body is talking to you, and you're doing more cardio than anyone needs, cut it.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I'd cut back on some of the cardio.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Time to make your calorie deficit smaller - 1 lb or even .5 lb per week. Rotate in some serious strength training in place of some of that cardio. You want to avoid losing muscle mass, which you are likely to be doing right now with a relatively low net and all that cardio.
  • Jade1964
    Jade1964 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion only...You aren't eating enough calories. 1200 is the bare minimum and with all the exercise you are doing.......

I exercise 3-4 x's a week doing what is called metabolic resistance training. I stick around 1200 but not under.

I would really try adding more calories.
  • lucylou9701
    Options
    looks like a good schedule but like you said... if u are full you can always have a cup of milk (110 calories) You could cut back one more day of excersise :)
  • ackersb
    ackersb Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! Only 5 lbs away is awesome!! You should be very proud--you look great : )

I wish I could offer advice, but I am still figuring it all out myself. My guess is more calories.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    If I'm reading your schedule right, that's 11 classes each week.
    This sounds like a hell of a lot of cardio to me... I think you should cut down gradually until you are a level that is going to be more sustainable long term - 3 or 4 a week should be fine. And from everything I've read, some strength training might be a good idea too.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Switch to weight lifting.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    If all you do is pure cardio, then no wonder your body is getting weaker because although cardio makes you lose a lot of calories but you actually loses a lot of muscle too. You may be losing weight but the question is how much of that loss is from fat. You should add strength training to prevent you from losing muscle from your deficit. More muscle means higher metabolism so don't ever ignore it. It is why a combination of cardio & strength training is very important.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,423 Member
    Options
    I rarely hit 1200 NET so don't stress about the number if you are eating (couldn't see your diary). I do think you need to listen to your body and it is talking to you now. I agree to add some strength in place of some of the cardio (and I'm a cardio queen so I know how hard that is to do) but the Pilates is great for toning and flexibility and gives great lines so I wouldn't give that up. I like your Tuesday Thursday workouts but think you could add some strength on Saturday and Monday. What I do now is weights for 40 minutes 3 times a week followed by a spin class, on the other days I do some type of cardio machines or run/walk outside. I eat back all but 200 of my exercise calories and it's working great. I try to leave the 200 cushion for mis-measurement of food and because I don't back out my existence calories from my HRM burn (some days I know I've been much more active than my sedentary lifestyle is set to so I eat into that cushion). If your body is feeling like that though, maybe you need to up the nutrition on what you're eating and increase the protein too. Congratulations on getting this far!!!
  • awelch79
    awelch79 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I am set to 1.4 lbs per week and I understand the idea to go down to 1 or .5 but that wont help with my calorie issue-it will only give me more calories to eat!

I thought I was getting good weight work in Step Interval and Pilates, but I can see adding more. What would you drop? Cardio, I know, but which ones?
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Mix it up. I do weights 3 days/wk, and cardio (whatever I feel like doing) 2 days/wk. And my BASELINE for cal. is 1620, and I am shorter, and much older than you - which means you are no where near eating what you need to eat in order to have your metabolism ramped up, and to build muscle.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I am set to 1.4 lbs per week and I understand the idea to go down to 1 or .5 but that wont help with my calorie issue-it will only give me more calories to eat!

I thought I was getting good weight work in Step Interval and Pilates, but I can see adding more. What would you drop? Cardio, I know, but which ones?

I would say don't exceed an hour of cardio a day. There's not need for it. Esp if you can't fuel it. And yes, the closer you get, which you're so close, you need to drop it. At this point, you can only do more damage than good. Like someone said, you're going to end up burning muscle. Which is the opposite of what you want.
  • awelch79
    awelch79 Posts: 233 Member
    Options

I would say don't exceed an hour of cardio a day. There's not need for it. Esp if you can't fuel it. And yes, the closer you get, which you're so close, you need to drop it. At this point, you can only do more damage than good. Like someone said, you're going to end up burning muscle. Which is the opposite of what you want.

Drop one hour of cardio a day and replace it with strength training? Is that the consensus? Free weights vs machines????
  • ShannonWinger
    ShannonWinger Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Try to eat more if you can. You are doing a lot and not eating enough. That's why you're tired. Also, try and eat more veggies and fruit. Strength training does amazing things for your body and you will start dropping if you start building some more muscle. Don't be afraid of hand weights and strength training. More muscle burns more fat. You might try alternating days with cardio and strength training.
  • sunnysashka
    Options
    Your excersise looks good to me. But I would try to "zig-zag"calories and do 2 days of rest in the raw. I feel better when I come back to excersizing after 2 days. But I'm stuck at my weight for a while too and do not want to give up any of my excersise! I do eat a lot more though.
  • kimtpa1417
    kimtpa1417 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I agree with adding more strenght. I work weights 3 days a week and cardio 3 days a week with a rest day on Sunday. Have you tried kashi bars? Or protein Shakes? Add them to what you are currently eating. Or fresh smoothies....These will get your calories up some.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I'd vote : STOP EATING YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES!! I just stopped doing that a week ago and the scale dropped 4 lbs. I've been working out like a mad man for weeks with no weightloss .. now it's falling daily :)

Check out my diary if you wish. I really try to not eat the exercise calories, unless it's Saturday then I fudge a little :) hehe.
  • VVEXVVEX
    VVEXVVEX Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I second swapping out some of that cardio for strength training. Also, no need to do more than one exercise class a day.

And it wouldn't be a bad idea to get some blood work, or at least to mention you're weak at an upcoming checkup. I was anemic and didn't know it. Feel much better now that that's dealt with.
  • celle7
    celle7 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Now that I can see your diary - maybe try cutting carbs - you're taking in 2-300 a day - shoot for under 100 a day for a week and see what happens, eat more chicken, fish, nuts, avocado.... That is what is being suggested by my nutritionist and trainer.