Best milk alternative for protein smoothies?

Options
caracraddock
caracraddock Posts: 1 Member

Best milk alternative for protein smoothies? 47 votes

Almond
59% 28 votes
Oat
14% 7 votes
Soy
10% 5 votes
Cashew
14% 7 votes

Replies

• IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I didn’t vote because I’m not sure what you mean by “best”. I use Almond milk because it’s what I use for any “milk” as its only 30 calories a cup and cows milk makes me itchy. It works fine. I think it’s all just personal preference.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Do you need milk? I mix all my protein shakes with just water.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I read this as you looking for a milk alternative for a higher protein smoothie. If that's correct, then I'd go with soy milk. As far as I have seen, soy tends to have higher protein than the other diary free milks.
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you want. Lowest calorie? Almond milk. Wait, almond milk has almost no protein. Soy milk, lots of protein! Wait, kind of tastes like garbage (only my personal opinion). Oat milk! Wait, highest in calories. Cashew milk! Mmm also tasty, but almost too creamy. There's also rice milk. And coconut!
    Just buy all of them at the same time and do a blind taste test and narrow them down until you find the one or two you like best.
    I like almond, cashew-almond, coconut, and oat. I just switch based on what I feel like buying at the time. Mostly almond and oat lately.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    I've stopped making protein shakes a decade ago and don't actually drink dairy. Personally, I don't classify any plant-based product as dairy or a replacement and why I didn't vote, which is just my personal view on things. I also agree water works fine as an alternative. Cheers
  • shannonlindsay89
    shannonlindsay89 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use Almond Breeze Almond and Coconut milk (purple container).

It's all personal preference though!
  • LenGray
    LenGray Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I like soy milk for the extra protein :) Almond milk would be tasty too, especially if you're looking for a lower-calorie option
  • dpowell0
    dpowell0 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use water in my smoothies, but I use milk alternatives in my morning coffee. I prefer organic, non-gmo soy milk because it's high protein and low calorie, but it can be hard to find at many grocery stores. If it's not available, I go with an organic almond milk.

I like the taste of oat milk, but it is high calorie and high carb compared to other options.
    Cashew milk sounds like something I would like but I have never seen it at my grocery store.
  • NinzyStarDust
    NinzyStarDust Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I use a cold cup of coffee and top it up with soy milk till I get 8oz and then use that in my shakes. 😊
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    SuzanneC1l9zz Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I use walnut. I have a medical issue that can be improved by increasing Omega-3 intake, so that's one reason. Also it's delicious!

Personally I've never found an oat or rice milk I liked the taste of. I have serious ethical issues with cashew harvesting. And I'm allergic to soy. But even so, my choice is mostly about paragraph #1.
  • Psartor11
    Psartor11 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Our family likes unsweetened cashew milk. Its creaminess gave us the closest feeling of real milk. Almond milk was also fine for us.
  • SkipperScott50
    SkipperScott50 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you meant just cows milk, but I use goat yogurt for mine. I can't do the moo.