New to weight/muscle gain

Options
Hey! I’ve lost most the weight I wanted to and now want to start adding muscle mass. Tips and things not to do??

Replies

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,008 Member
    Options
    Number one tip: don't be in a rush. Professional bodybuilders struggle to add a single pound per year of actual muscle. New lifters can add more, sometimes 5-10 pounds in their first year, but it's still a slow process, measured in months, because you want to add muscle without adding back any fat you've worked hard to lose.
  • capgordon1293
    capgordon1293 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Listen to these two legends above my comment they know there stuff .
    Ali want to get the v shape get the waits and stomach in wide shoulders
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,510 Member
    Options
    Use a muscle building program, supply enough nutrition to support it, and don't freak out because you gain weight from it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    If you are untrained, then you will be sensitive to any resistance training. No need to look for a hypertrophy specific program unless that is something that you feel you would enjoy and adhere to for a while.

Best you could do is find a experienced trainer (preferably one that isn't employed from a commercial gym or base their success on their Certs.) If that isn't possible many of us write online programming as well as coach for a fraction of in-person costs. There is always the option of running a cookie cutter program for a small period of time or you could dive into your own programming which under the right circumstances over time could be a good fit for you.

Consume a slight surplus of calories and just train and enjoy the process.

• I_AM_ISRAEL
    I_AM_ISRAEL Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Don’t do any barbell work.
    Stick to dumbbell and cable work only to keep balance on both sides of your body.
    Focus on the muscle being worked, not the amount of weight you’re lifting.
    Never skip a workout day! Your body will try to make you think you’re too tired to go, but keep it in check.
    Of course if you can’t move a body part without serious pain, then rest.
    Keep track of measurements once a week.
    Shoot to gain .5lbs-1.5lbs of bw per month max! Make sure you are getting stronger on your lifts and/or you can do more reps to have a good idea it’s more muscle than fat.
    And as always, enjoy the journey! 💪🏼
  • Lolalikeslolagets
    Lolalikeslolagets Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Give yourself at least a year and then keep going and don’t stop! Consistency over many years is the key. And have fun!