i NEED more fibre!

Options
without going into too much detail, i am not a daily person, im lucky if im a 2day person...
apparently this isnt good for me?

so i NEED to get more fibre into m diet somehow.
however, i cant powder suppliments it makes me get really bad tummy pains.
is there something i can do or eat that will give me heaps of fibre??? i need low sugar/fat ideas???

thanks

Replies

• scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Veggies and whole grains!
  • vickstar8707
    Options
    hmmmm all i know is green leafy vegetables and grains are meant to help!
  • heather1945
    heather1945 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I fine prunes are great. About 60-70g a day, from the packet.....I know the feeling...it's horrible....good luck...:-}
  • CoCoMa
    CoCoMa Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Black beans, yum!!
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    If you eat a natural, plant based diet you will get all the fiber you need. I eat a double fiber english muffin, i think it is Orowheat brand. Also things like apples, spinich, and really all veggies have fiber in them. When you are in the store just read the labels, I shoot for 30 grams a day and am very regular, haha
  • candicole007
    candicole007 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Fiber one bars & fiber one brownies - However - if anyone has some suggestions other than fiber, I'm all ears, because I do *usually* get plenty of fiber and I'm still lucky if it happens more than once a week. TMI I know, sorry
  • rachemn
    rachemn Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Flax meal. I put a scoop in my protein shakes. Works wonders and definitley keeps me regular! :-)
  • LittleFootHafner
    Options
    They are definitely not cheap, but go out and try to find Vita Tops (they will be in the freezer sections by the healthy stuff). I have found them at Wal-Mart recently as well. They are muffin tops that come in lots of flavours. Chocolate is AMAZING, has 9 grams of fibre, and only 100 calories! Warm it up for 10 seconds before you eat it as well... I can't buy them weekly or I would eat them all right away...
  • alexis92
    Options
    Vitatops and Vitabrownies are sooo yummy- they come in lots of flavors! and they're only 100 calories (or 90 for sugar free) and loaded with fiber! FiberOne bars are also great (140 calories) and Papaya is great for digestion!
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I was on a high fiber diet for some time to help recover from surgery.
    Fiber One makes pop tarts that are actually, really, really tasty.

Now, as a snack I eat Sunsweet Pitted Dates, they are really good, almost like pieces of chocolate.
  • KindleBlossom
    Options
    I eat a banana with breakfast every morning, and make sure to have a whole grain with dinner (this is bare minimum), and that's enough to push me over the minimum fiber for the day. A good rule of thumbs is to aim for 5 servings of fruit and/ or veggies per day (serving is about a cups worth). It's worth the effort- it can increase your lifespan, and the fiber makes you feel full longer! Good luck.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Probiotics - I have the same problem. Try some probiotic caps and drink a LOT of water - also eat fruit and/or veggies with every meal. Beans are high in fiber.
  • Cdcaldwe
    Cdcaldwe Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Papaya enzyme, get at GNC. Helped me
  • beatlemom
    beatlemom Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    wonder whole wheat hot dog and hamburger buns have 5 grams of fiber per bun. they have benefiber for children, it's clear and I give it to my kid cause he has the same issue. Fiber one bars have lots. Raisins help a little. apples have some.
  • kailey_watson
    kailey_watson Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Kashi go lean :) High fiber, high protein, very low fat. I love this, and I eat two bowls a day. It does take some time for your body to adjust to increased fiber though so I'd suggest maybe one bowl or half a bowl for a while and see if it helps.
  • captawesome
    captawesome Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thanks for bringing this up. I've been thinking about posting something for a while and I'm in the same situation. I'm trying metamucil at the moment but even find that without the supplement, even plenty of fruit and veg doesnt help things happen.

Thanks so much to everyone for your suggestions!
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem, I tried the Fiber Choice ones, and they helped immensely!

I went from being a maybe once a week with the help of laxatives, to being an every other day person. No more pain and bloating from not being able to go.

They don't taste horrible, and they don't require water, and they are only 15 cals per serving.

Good luck!
  • shauna121211
    shauna121211 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Coffee doesn't have fibre but it is a mild laxative so that could help! Other than that, what everyone else said - leafy veggies and whole grains.

This site lists tons: http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/063008p28.shtml

Found some other websites that list the following: (there might be some repetition...)
    Cabbage, cooked
    Carrot, cooked
    Cauliflower, cooked
    Cole slaw
    Avocado (fruit)
    Beet greens
    Bok choy, cooked
    Broccoli, cooked
    Almonds
    all bran cereal
    beans (kidney and butter)
    peas
    spinach
    sweet corn
    wholemeal brown bread
    red cabbage
    carrots
    baked potato with skin
    apples
    bananas
    Black beans, cooked
    Bran cereal
    Bread, whole wheat
    Brown rice, dry
    Cashews
    Flax seeds
    Apples with skin
    Apricot
    Apricots, dried
    Banana
    Blueberries
    Cantaloupe, cubes
    Figs, dried
    Grapefruit
  • Takotorau
    Options
    Fibre is my favourite topic... I'm a 30+ grams a day girl. :p

My suggestion (some learned the hardway :p) are about HOW to introduce more fibre to your diet

1). Increase your fibre intake slowly by adding 2-5 grams a week to your normal diet until you reach your goal intake. Trying to go from a minimum to eating 20+ grams a day will give you serious tummy troubles and your bowels may certainly rebel.

2). Spread your fibre intake out throughout the day so you're getting 5+ grams at each meal. 4 x meals = 20+ grams.

3). Sneak fibre in to your diet where ever you can. I consider my fibre intake when planning my meals just as I consider the protein, fat and carb content.

4). Fibre food suggestions. High fibre cereals and bars, wholegrain bread, crackers or pasta, brown/black rice, beans, veges (spinnach, brocolli, sweet potato, corn etc) & fruit (apples, pears, oranges, bananas, berries etc), flaxseed, all contain about 5 grams of fibre per serving.
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    For breakfast try Fiber One with Vanilla Soy Milk. Or try Quaker Steel Cut Oats made with Vanilla Soy Milk too. Both are good with fruit. The rest of the day find room for beans, cauliflower, broccoli & spinach.