Coaches… is this normal?

Options
Hey, I just hired a bodybuilding coach for the first time- not competing just working on my physique and goals.
This coach is well known and is very good at what they do. I also like them and think they are a good person. Everything about them including where they live seemed to be a perfect match for me.
I love my workout and meal plan and am happy and seeing results. However it is my fifth week in the 12 week program and this coach has not checked in for three weeks. I check in every week very thoroughly and am working hard. Twice I checked in to ask , once in the beginning and again about 5 days ago. Both times the
person apologized, says they have
been sick … I’m giving them the benefit of the doubt since I trust them although I don’t know them well. But this past week I really started to lose motivation. It makes me feel like they don’t care….
Am I crazy for thinking this is odd? I like this coach and the program but… it was reasonable but still expensive for me and I was worried about spending the money- I decided it was worth it.
But I’m feeling discouraged. My workouts have been suffering and my diet too, because I can’t help but feel at least subconsciously like this coach doesn’t relieve in me or think I’m important. This person has a lot of clients… I don’t know if they are just totally behind and overwhelmed? Or maybe has clients in prep that take priority? I don’t know what to do bc I don’t want to nag them and I don’t even know if this is normal or not.
Does anyone have any wisdom ? Thx

Replies

• christiew55
    christiew55 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am sorry to hear about your troubles and worries regarding this coach but I think maybe I can help. I am a personal trainer as well and I also run my own fitness company. Just solely going off the information that you provided it honestly sounds to me like this person is just really busy. I can speak from personal experience as someone that has alot of clients as well and the honest truth is sometimes we just get stretched thin. So try not to take it personally. This coach does want to help you and from what you have said you are getting the results you want. Don't worry they will reach out. And if they don't and it continues to happen over the course of months. Then maybe I would consider another coach. Maybe they took on more than they could chew.
  • Lynxes602
    Lynxes602 Posts: 22 Member
    edited July 2022
    Options
    That really sucks, sorry that your dealing with that. I would ask him while he's out if he would recommend some one else to fill in until he gets back? He should probably not be compensated since he's not coaching you right now.
  • capgordon1293
    capgordon1293 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    That sucks hope u sort it . Am the same in regards wether to take the plunge and get a personal trainer but like u day they seem so expensive
  • Mrsrobinsoncl
    Mrsrobinsoncl Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Is this a trainer you have met and worked with in person, or all online?
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you would get the best answer from talking to your coach.
  • jennifermyerspt
    jennifermyerspt Posts: 1 Member
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Please don’t take this the wrong way but stop making excuses. Own up to your successes thus far and be proud that you’ve accomplished them with little accountability. Listen to your boss voice and “make it happen”. Part of your journey is based on mental toughness. It’s hard. No doubt. I’ve been a personal trainer for over 20 years and only you can want it bad enough. Your trainer won’t be around forever. But you will. Make yourself proud!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    The OP posted this July 7th and then hasn't logged in since. She won't be seeing your response.
  • I_AM_ISRAEL
    I_AM_ISRAEL Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Maybe it’s a priority thing? The coach I have, I speak with every day, I have been with him for 7 weeks now.
    Any question I have, he answers right away.
    However, I’m competing come March so maybe that’s the difference? I do know he has other clients, but he has made it clear that he won’t train people who aren’t serious.
    You do look serious though! 😉